modchip or softmod ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by -=oopeteroo=-, Sep 20, 2010.

Sep 20, 2010

modchip or softmod ? by -=oopeteroo=- at 7:15 PM (2,535 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. -=oopeteroo=-
    OP

Member -=oopeteroo=- GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    recently got my new wii xD should i do a modchip or softmod it ? which one is best ? with softmod can i play all the games ?

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    softmod is awesome... the only reason to hardmod is if u absolutely need to have a gamecube usb-loader right now, in which case, get a wode

if softmodding, I recommend u use ModMii from my signature

Cheers.

3. elmoreas

Member elmoreas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hardmod all the way and get a WODE!

4. -=oopeteroo=-
    OP

Sweden
    if i softmod it how do i update it ? for new games that dont work... and can i play all the games ? how easily can i brick my wii ?

if hardmod is WODE the best ? is there any other option ? dont like that i cant take it out from the stand, if i get children here in the house maybe they will break the cable =/

5. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I disagree. It's true for usb GC loading you need a WODE, but a WODE is crap for this.

If anybody wants to play lots of gamecube games, then i recommend to use a good modchip, that's the only way to get audio streaming to work for GC games. If somebody does not care about GC games, he should softmod, as all Wii games are playable by this. Oh and VC/WiiWare require to softmod anyways.

6. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    @OP

What things would you like your Wii to do so people can give you a proper recommendation:

If you are not interested in GC games then hardmod nor Wode takes not place in this discussion.

7. XFlak

Canada
    Out of curiosity, what modchip do u recommend to play GC games? And it sounds like u are recommending a chip that can play GC disc backups (not a GC USB-Loader)… if this is the case… would it not be easier to just replace the dvd drive with an older one that can play backup discs then just use neogamma or another GC disc loader?

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I don't know the names of good modchips, but yes, i meant a mod chip for disc backups. Some modchips screw the audio streaming up and are totally useless. But some work as they should, and i recommend to use one of them when playing lots of GC games.

A WODE, any softmod GC backup launcher, the wiikey sd thingy and DIOS MIOS all have in common that they don't support audio streaming, so a good modchip + discs is superior to this stuff.

9. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    can new wiis even read dvdr with a hardmod?
    since they cant with softmods

10. XFlak

Canada
    to make new wii's run backup discs all u need to do is replace the dvd drive with an older model

11. -=oopeteroo=-
    OP

Sweden
    all i want is to run backup games on a harddrive, maybe gc games 2, what is the best ?

if softmod, is there a easy guide for a noob like me ? can i easily brick my wii ? i have read somewhere that i can install a brick protection ? how ?

and if i softmod it, i shouldnt update my wii ? not from wifi or disc ? is there a way to auto disable update ?
    how do i do when future game will not work ? how to update my softmod? is it like updating chipfrimware ?

12. -=oopeteroo=-
    OP

Sweden
  13. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    to softmod it, go here and do it.

http://gbatemp.net/t207126-modmii-for-windows

its the easiest, and best way to softmod.
    Priiloader has settings for disabling updates, etc......
    future games always need new cIOS's, IOS's, etc, and modmii will take care of those also.
    you'll never brick your wii, as long as you follow the guide, output from modmii.
    modmii also covers in detail how to setup your ext. usb drive.

and softmod is free, and you can do it NOW.
    hardmod will cost you, and time, to get it done.....

14. fartos32

Member fartos32 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Wiikey v1 + FST fix has managed to get most of my Gamecube backups to work perfectly.

If you want something thats free and works and is pretty safe then go for a softmod. If your worried about future firmware updates bricking your Wii get a WODE.

Personally I would recomend a softmod.

15. -=oopeteroo=-
    OP

Sweden
    hmmm if i softmod it what kind of games would i get ? Scrubbed or wbfs? or is it the same ?

after soft mod, should i just play Pal games ? or could i run ntsc games ? only running games throught usb driver

16. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    I can tell you I've softmodded using ModMii -

I can play both PAL and NTSC Wii games from the USB HDD (which is formatted to FAT32) - even dual layer one's like SMG2 & I use 'Wii Backup Manager' to copy the iso's from PC onto the HDD, which 'converts' them to a wbfs form anyway IIRC

(I think the reason I can play both PAL and NTSC is due to Piiloader 'Any Region Hack')

Not sure what you mean about 'scrubbed' but I know some of the games I've *cough* obtained *cough* were 'compressed' (whatever that means) and they work fine as well

As for GC games, I believe you CANT play them from USB drive in any shape or form (something about GC games can't access Wii Hardware IIRC) - but I'm sure some1 will confirm this

17. -=oopeteroo=-
    OP

Sweden
    just to make sure... i have the pal version of wii, with softmod, can i run ntsc games from the hdd ? or will it brick my wii ?

18. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    oops sorry I forgot to mention that
    - I also have a PAL Wii (although I would've thought you guess that since I live in the UK [​IMG] ) with 4.2E firmware.

Also - if you wait a while (give it a few hours), I'll double check on which games I have on the HDD (I'm in work ATM so unable to check) just to make sure that some of the games ARE NTSC versions
    (I can check their 6-character code against WiiTDB database)

19. XFlak

Canada
    any region softmodded wii can play any region game via a usb-loader. You should know that there are a handful of games that require special things to get it to work... there are not many of them... but I'll list a few
    -wii sports resort (or any game with the motion plus video on it), u must change the "alt-dol" setting via cfg usb loader to the video, watch the video, then change the alt dol back in order to play the game (if u've already seen the video at least once on the wii, u don't need to watch it again)
    -house of the dead 2 and 3, u need to select an alt-dol corresponding to the game u want to play (HOD2 vs. HOD3)
    -Metroid Prime trilogy works via cfg-usb-loader but with restrictions (only veteran difficulty and no multiplayer) and u must select the game u want to play in cfg-usb-loader via its alt-dol+ menu.
    -Call of Duty 3 doesn't work at all, u can play it via uneek+di and/or sneek+di (Metroid Prime Trilogy also works perfectly if launched via uneek+di or sneek+di)

Anyways, don't let these game specific fixes daunt you, they're all really easy. For now, just concentrate on getting ur wii softmodded, then if u run into a game that doesn't work properly, google it for a fix

FYI, priiloader regionfree everything hack allows u to play out of region games via your system menu (so disc channel and wiiware) and it has no effect on usb-loaders

20. -=oopeteroo=-
    OP

Sweden
    hmmmm it freeze when i install bootmii =/ what to do ?

fixed: it was my old sdcard the lock switch will be on each time i put it in.... use a other sd works fine