Modchip installation help anybody?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Clairjoe, Dec 3, 2012.

Dec 3, 2012
  1. Clairjoe
    OP

Member Clairjoe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am getting FMCB placed on a memory card by one of the people on this site, but that is for my fat ps2 that has a dead laser so i can play games off of its HDD (lost the HDAdvance2.0 disc) and also to boot games off a usb drive, i would like to be able to play backups on my slim ps2 that i normally use and that is hooked up with a working laser (which is why i use this now). I have been informed that the only way to do this is mod chip, because i have a 90001 8C model. Does anybody have any advice or help to easily install a ps2 mod chip on a slim ps2 90001? I have found a website that accepts paypal and its only $4.00 so i can get one easily and cheap, but i would like to know how to install it before i order it. Please help me out if you can

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Don't EVER think of installing a PS2 modchip without massive soldering experience.

PS2s are some of the hardest consoles ever out there to mod, they require a really good soldering iron (a temperature-controlled station, preferably) and lots of experience in soldering, since you're going to be soldering on micro-pads and hair-sized IC legs.

tl;dr: get a professional to do it.

3. Clairjoe
    OP

United States
    Where and how would i get a professional to do it? I don't know of anybody that has done it, i.e. my friends. Am i stuck with just using a usb device on my broken ps2? will that even work? lets say with a 32 gb flash drive. i would really like a mod chip in my slim version though.

4. raulpica

Italy
    Well, ask guys doing RGH mods for 360. Maybe one of them also did PS2s back in the day... Or search around for some ads (Craiglist?) of people still offering to mod PS2s.

I dunno about the USB part (never got too much into it, myself, as I had a chipped PS2), I knew there was an USB solution for PS2 (USBLoader or something) but it was way too slow for many games causing the to not work properly.

5. Clairjoe
    OP

United States
    Ok thank you, i will check craigslist. how did you get your ps2 chipped? did you do it? (just wondering)

6. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    It would help if you said what modchip it was.

7. Clairjoe
    OP

United States
    :/ craigslist doesn't have any that are close to me.

8. Clairjoe
    OP

United States
    I am looking at a ModBo 5.0, but i am up to reccomendations if there is an easier one out there.

9. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    There isn't much difference between them in terms of installs. They are all pretty much the same amount of wires and same small points.

There is someone on here who does ps2 installs and is in the US. Can't remember who though :(.

10. Clairjoe
    OP

United States
    I am asking my friend's dad who mods xbox360s
    but he said he is not sure he knows how, however he does have experience with sodering. He told me FMCB is my best bet but then i told him the console model i had and he said he will look at it. but he isn't sure. so i still need help!

11. raulpica

Italy
    If he mods 360s with RGH then it could be worth a shot, if he just flashes them then he has no idea what he's getting into :P

Got it pre-chipped. I've modded my first PS2 years later, only after some months of soldering practice :P

12. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I can install these.