Hacking Mod the console now, or update to the last version first?

MrCrostataH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, I wanted to install cfw into my 3ds.
Is it easier or more likely that I'll be able to do it on versions 3.0.0 to 8.1.0? Or is there no difference? Are there important changes that I should be aware of between version 7.2.0 and 11.10.0 of the firmware that maybe I might be interested in?
My 3ds is version 7.2.0

I'll be using the guides at the 3ds hacks guide website.

Last edited by MrCrostataH,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much the same overall unless you wanna do something weird
I believe the only thing that has broken is ntr cfw after some 11.x release (not sure exactly when), but that's kinda absolete because of luma.
You should be fine to update to the latest firmware, but if you want you could make a nand backup first
either way you have the right guide (3ds.guide)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it easier or more likely that I'll be able to do it on versions 3.0.0 to 8.1.0? Or is there no difference? Are there important changes that I should be aware of between version 7.2.0 and 11.10.0 of the firmware that maybe I might be interested in?
My 3ds is version 7.2.0

Installing custom firmware is possible on any 2|3DS. The Soundhax path is a bit easier/faster than the *miner methods for the latest version… so try Soundhax.

MrCrostataH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pretty much the same overall unless you wanna do something weird
I believe the only thing that has broken is ntr cfw after some 11.x release (not sure exactly when), but that's kinda absolete because of luma.
You should be fine to update to the latest firmware, but if you want you could make a nand backup first
either way you have the right guide (3ds.guide)
Pressing power and start at the same time doesn't bring up the god mode 9 menu... Do I need to install a cfw before making a nand backup? Guides around talk about lumia and stuff.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pressing power and start at the same time doesn't bring up the god mode 9 menu... Do I need to install a cfw before making a nand backup? Guides around talk about lumia and stuff.
Yes you would need cfw to make a nand backup. You'd need to install cfw on the lower firmware (for 7.2 you can use good old soundhax as an entrypoint shown in the guide) before making your nand backup and updating to the latest firmware

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My 3ds is version 7.2.0

I would install CFW before updating, it's a bit easier that way.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started
You can look through the guide for 3.0.0-8.1.0 (Soundhax) and latest (Seedminer), the steps are completely different.
The guide for 3.0.0-8.1.0 might not work for you. It depends on if the 3DS has ever been updated online. But the only way to know for sure is to try.

MrCrostataH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok. Thanks for the info guys ^^. Actually wait... Don't I undo the hack if I update the console? it's a custom os, isn't it? :huh:

Last edited by MrCrostataH,

Wryyyong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's a custom os, isn't it? :huh:
No. Boot9strap is just a bootloader programmed only to run 'boot.firm' on the SD/NAND.

Luma3DS (the 'boot.firm' file you'll be using) is not its own firmware/OS, but instead a patch of sorts for the existing one. Said patch grants you full access to the system, in addition to having a myriad of its own features to use (such as LayeredFS game patching, Gameshark cheats, etc).

Luma3DS's patching also protects Boot9strap from being overwritten when the system is updated/formatted, so neither scenario will erase your CFW.

So technically, Luma3DS is not a custom firmware. The community only uses the term "CFW" for consistency across other console hacking scenes (like the PS3/PSP/etc).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, don't worry atleast that video is a parody +1