Mobile Phone Emulators

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Jamstruth, May 14, 2010.

May 14, 2010

Mobile Phone Emulators by Jamstruth at 5:29 PM (1,705 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Trying to look into emulation prospects for my LG GW520 and finding it hard going. Free mobile game sites are all over the place and most are crap and as for the emulators they're even more confusing!
    As said I have an LG GW520 which has a full qwerty keyboard and supports Java, I'd like to get an NES emu and a GB emu if possible (I doubt the phone can handle much more than 8bit without severe difficulties)

I have tried the free trial of vNES for J2ME and could not get it to build a jar file for me, I clicked the bat and it gave an error. Edit: Ran and built on another computer (my PC sucks) but cannot use the emulator, it freezes when I press "Play"

2. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    I use NESticle or something Nescube.. umm i forgot what it was but it even has multi rom support [​IMG]

3. Potticus

Member Potticus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    smartgear if you can use .bat 's for gb

4. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    Right I have found 2 things out.
    1. vNES hates my ROMs! (Or I just fail at building)
    2. MY PHONE SUCKS BALLS!!
    I found a very decent GBC emulator called MEBoy (its really good you should definitely check it out) and built and ran it on my phone. The result, for me, was laggy without sound but definitely playable (pokemon FPS ranged between 5 and 15 FPS) and I thought "Oh well, its probably just the emulator" but I just ran it on my little sister's Sony Ericsson W580i and holy cow that ran smooth! The FPS was very decent on the title screen (on my phone it lagged). My GW580 struggled though I think I know why...
    A) Higher resolution=more scaling work
    B) Touch Screen means some kind of program is being run on top of the emulator to facilitate the lack of normal navigation buttons. This means that an extra layer is added on and my phone can't handle both at the same time too well.
    Those or my phone's CPU just sucks, but I reckon those 2 are valid problems.

Unfortunately my phone does not run Windows mobile so no exes or bats [​IMG] I tried NESCube and found it to be entirely unplayable (I tried Megaman)

5. Potticus

United States
    Ahhh I have a Samsung Jack
    And the fps has to be throttled to 40, or I go off the wall crazy.
    It runs like a champ, I would get either a pocket pc or windows mobile phone.

6. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm not shopping for a new phone... I was seeing whether there were any decent J2ME emulators for NES and GBC out there. The answer to that is yes but I can't get them to work and the ones I can don't run well on my phone (though it apparently has a 257MHz processor according to an estimation program)

7. Potticus

United States
    shade man
    well when you eventually have to get a new phone find a windows mobile or pocketpc

Or steal your sisters.

8. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah, my sister's phone which should really be simpler than mine. I reckon my phone just doesn't implement Java well at all.
    I'd imagine Windows Mobile handsets are expensive, I'm just 17, don't have that kind of cash to splash about on a new mobile.

9. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    I have the Nokia 5230 and that doesn't have buttons either. My NESCube roms run full speed while using the touch screen to navigate around.

10. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    CPU Clock Rate on that is apparently 434 MHz so just under double my LG GW250, it also runs Symbian which has its own programming language outside of Java which means that things can be optimised more easily than on a phone that only runs Java.
    Basically, my phone sucks. Its CPU SHOULD be able to handle it but the limitations of J2ME and extra touchscreen stuff mean it can't. That's my opinion anyway.

11. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Meboy FTW! It all depends on your phone, the new version have sound but having sound on may cause slowdowns.