iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
someone should make use of the NDS wifi to create a mmorpg ( nothing graphically fancy, just enough for 1024mbit
biggrin.gif
)

i reckon it'd become a phenomenum

andrew505

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well they have announced the release of Maple story, for the ds (Korean Release) slated for sometime late 2007, with plans for a North American, Japanese and european release. if you google it you can find a wikipedia article for it. its only a 2d side scrolling mmorpg, nothing too fancy, but it should be fun. who knows how long it would tkae for us to actually see it, but you never know.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least more co-op multi would be nice. I hate gunning after other players, I'd rather work together.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Octobinz is still working on a homebrew mmorpg called "End of the Shadows". Hopefully that will go somewhere. It looks really promising.

EOTS Homepage

PokéSensei is also working on one in PAlib called PoKéQuesT, but I have no idea how far along it is.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well they have announced the release of Maple story, for the ds (Korean Release) slated for sometime late 2007, with plans for a North American, Japanese and european release. if you google it you can find a wikipedia article for it. its only a 2d side scrolling mmorpg, nothing too fancy, but it should be fun. who knows how long it would tkae for us to actually see it, but you never know.

If you ever played Maple Story, you wouldn't look forward to playing it. I don't know if it ever had a non-Korean PC version, but when I played it, it was full of grinding and pre-teen kids roaming around making mess and thousands of bots doing some crap.
The kids are so annoying I wish there was a sophisticated method of running adult server with proper age check (for now, most games in Korea use ID number which contains birth date and year, but it's so easy to use parents' or older siblings' ID number to bypass that. And adult server resulting in 50%+ elementary schoolers)

I think Maple Story had the shortest gap between install and uninstall period of 50+ MMORPGs I ever played.

If a kid walks up to me and says "You, give me two grands" in real life... Hm..

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that "End of the Shadows" thing has character sprites from RPG maker XP.
Instead of an MMORPG, Someone should just make a hack 'n slash like Diablo. Or an MMO like HabboHotel (Since you have to enter a player made room. The DS should be able to handle that, Just put a player limit on each room.) A gunbound DS could probably work out, since you also have to enter game rooms.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo Wifi needs friend codes, so wouldn't an MMORPG be a bit of a pain to use?

Also yeah, Maple story is kinda dull. It's just hack and slash over and over and "bring me item x" quests.

andrew505

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
regardless, maple story IS coming out, and that was pretty much the only purpose of my post. honestly i haven't played/tried the pc version, because in the past i've played mostly Pay per month, more commercial games, Ultima Online, EQ, DAOC, WoW. I would never play Maple Story on a PC, but if it game out on DS, there probably wouldn't be much stopping me from giving it a try(considering 95% of mmorpg involves kids under 13, and senesless hours of grinding/farming, thats pretty much what mmorpg means to me, at least in the present time.

andrew505

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well according to a few articles, maple story is the "First MMORPG" for the DS. so maybe they will have both single player/online capabilities, but, but as far as i can tell there will be an online componenet. and 100% this will be online in Korea, thats what korea's sales thrive on is mmorpg. they wouldn't dare try brining this out , over there without it. Here, who knows.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I liked MapleStory on the PC was because of the huge, 2D, expansive world you could explore. Plus, you can dress up your character like a little digital, pixelated Barbie doll, but then again, what MMORPG can't you do that in?

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
some facts about Maple Story DS
taken from various sources (dev interviews mostly)

Dev team consists of 6 members (I was like wth?)
Struggling with first DS programming experience
Don't have plans yet for other platforms like Wii due to programming difficulties.
First Korean game on DS
Supports both single player and WiFi multiplayer
Dungeon clear type gameplay (opposed to one huge world)
Minimal touch screen usage (He said using touch screen on action RPG game can inhibit gameplay, expect only 1 or 2 times usage during story. Also used to other players' information, or item equipment)
Hotkeys for easier control
Nexon Korea will maintain and host server just like PC version. (Or possibly Nexon Japan/US for those areas if they come out)
Will be a long time before Japan/American release.
Korean Release date : Sep.2007

Sources are in Korean, so I won't link it, trailers and play demos are also available but the speed was insanely slow from Canada, so I assume the same for most outside of Asia and won't link it. It would probably be million times faster searching youtube than waiting for streaming from Korea =P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday