MIT Develops 'Super Smash Bros. Melee' AI That Can Compete Against Top Players

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    rsz_ssbm_matrix.png

First Chess, then Go, and now Super Smash Bros. Melee?! Are the AIs finally getting the better of us at everything?

Not quite, but close enough!

Researchers at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory have created a Super Smash Bros. Melee AI superior to the regular "target practice" you can already fight in the game. And it’s good enough to hold its own against some global top 100 players!

Super Smash Bros. Melee was chosen because, according to the paper's abstract, its "environment has complex dynamics and partial observability, making it challenging for human and machine alike. The multiplayer aspect poses an additional challenge"

The team, led by Vlad Firoiu, trained a neural network model to play the game by feeding it gameplay data and incentivizing play that resulted in the computer’s victory. Rather than watching the screen and learning patterns, it is more like an in-game computer player that’s learned everything from scratch.

“It uses a combination of human techniques and some odd ones too – both of which benefit from faster-than-human reflexes,” wrote Firoiu in an email to TechCrunch. “It is sometimes very conservative, being unwilling to attack until it sees there’s a opening. Other times it goes for risky off-stage acrobatics that it turns into quick kills.”

However, it doesn't fare well with projectiles and it has a secret weakness:

“If the opponent crouches in the corner for a long period of time, it freaks out and eventually suicides,” Firiou wrote. (“This should be a warning against releasing agents trained in simulation into the real world,” he added)

Below is a video of the AI playing against several top 100 global players, against whom it won more than it lost!

While not a reason to fret for your gamer skills (yet?), the research demonstrates the interesting way in which AIs can cope in new environments. Moreover, game devs could make use of such neural networks to provide a more serious challenge to competitive and professional players to practice their skills.

:arrow: SOURCE

2. KarlslandOtaku

KarlslandOtaku Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2013
    United States
    This sounds cool.
    Nice to see Melee is still having such a huge following! ^_^

eechigoo likes this.
  3. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Melee is eternal. Once humanity dies off, after the human race can no longer cling to Melee, we can have AIs do that for us, too.

4. RyDog

RyDog Lazy Animal Crossing hacker

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    I guess level 9 CPU wasn't hard enough for them :P

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Sounds familiar somehow... Mortal kombat games? Well yeah but hmm..... I wonder if there is a way to play against these improved Ai stuff. Wouldn't be different to just maybe use the AI from that cruel melee mode in normal mode somehow? Cause i can't beat them, and i dunno if "TOP 100 PLAYERS" Could either, or attempted to. :wtf:

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Melee's following is beyond dedicated. Imagine fusing the collective egos' of PC gamers, Arch Linux, and every single fanboy, into one community. It still won't reach the level's of Melee's community.

Although this is a rather interesting project. I want to see the Ai's fight each other.

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N, Vorde and guisadop like this.
  7. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    Artificial intelligence will never be as good as natural intelligence.

moneychild likes this.
  8. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    The AI doesn't look that much good. Maybe he's making the best choices, but it just can't do things like the pros to..
    For example, wavedashing (or if we're talking about capt. Falcon, so dash-dancing and SHFFL'd nairs to approach)
    Also it uses side smash with Falcon too much.. it might be good sometimes, but not that much.
    Alsp near the end you can see the AI just doing strange sh*t.. It actually used up-b after up air which means he maybe programed to recover if you don't land after aerial-attacks
    There's a lot to improve, but I can see it going well even in the near future.

9. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    And here I am still having a hard time to beat the default AI. Skynet will rise.

10. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    melee is weird and highly recycled
    and for gamecube, it could have better graphics

11. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    Maybe it could be true but no-one really cares. The game as a competitive game is awesome and you should definitely check it out

HavengulZenith and Vorde like this.
  12. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    i like to play casually, but play on emulator its not so good, i would like to play more but i don't have reasons to improve skills in a game that I will not play with anyone, and how i get angry when i realized the developers used the same animations for captain falcon and ganondorf

13. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    You don't really need to play. To watch tourneys is more than enough lmao

14. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    but i want to play too XD
    but at the first stage on the multiple yoshi part, my emulator slows down ¬¬
    and don't have anyone to play with

15. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    If you have a Wii/Wii U you can play without any of those slow-downs. I play with Nintendon't on a Wii U. I wish I could play on a proper setup, a CRT and my old Wii, but it is much harder on my country. The only reason for that is to provide less input lag, and it worths it if you are really into it.

16. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    no i don't have wii u, here its expensive it have almost the same price of the launch and sometimes more expansive

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Of course the A.I. is winning, Smash isn't a real fighting game. :lol:

18. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    You might be sarcastic but still..
    "not a real fighting game"

Yoshigator, HavengulZenith and Vorde like this.
  19. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    People make this game so competitive that sometimes it's kind of boring, I just like to play casually XD

20. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    lmao everyone with his point of view.. If you don't that much understand the meta-game, you'll find yourself asking why are they spamming shines.
    It excites me more than sf5 and any other fighting game

Vorde likes this.