Super Smash Bros. Ultimate gets Nintendo Labo VR support in new update

Nintendo has released an update to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, bringing the game to version 3.1.0, allowing you to use the game with the Nintendo Labo VR Kit. Experience Smash Bros. in a whole new way with VR, through seeing offline matches through the Toy-Con Goggles. You can either fight versus up to three other CPU fighters in timed battles, or just watch the AI fight against each other, while you view from a slightly zoomed in camera angle. To use the Labo VR Kit with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, all you need to do is update to the latest version, and select "VR" from the Games & More menu.

• You can use the Toy-Con VR Goggles to enjoy Smash in VR mode via the Games & More menu.
      • VR mode is a single-player experience only.
      • The Toy-Con VR Goggles are sold separately as part of the Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit or the Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit – Starter Set + Blaster.
      • This is shown on Nintendo Labo’s page as well: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/labo/with_toy-con/
    • FPs can be used in Battle Arenas.
    • An option to send amiibo out on journeys has been added, through which FPs go on a journey to train via the internet. You can find it via Games & More → amiibo → Send on a Journey.
    • Some of the preferred rules for Quickplay battles have been adjusted.
  • General
    • Game balance adjustments have been made.
    • Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the way they are approaching labo vr as a fun add on to already existing games. Good guy Nintendo isn't going the dlc route even though it's definitely costing them development hours.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't it look like potatoes with 720p, split, right up on your face, like the other vr stuff?

Still neat though. They're testing the waters looks like. I wonder how they'll do vr in the future with multiplayer in mind, as that's sure to be their goal. Expect that to be the next big thing from them. In 5 years.

Last edited by osaka35,

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh, this is actually pretty damn cool. They are trying out different things with VR as a way to test the waters. Got to say this is my fav one yet. Being able to get a new view on stages does look pretty cool.

Reactions: x65943

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ffs why can't they just make it first-person
Because there aren't enough barf bags on planet Earth to handle that.

It actually made me wonder if there was a first-person game for Virtual Boy. Turns out there was just one, and it was released only in Japan. RIP those unfortunate souls unlucky enough to have experienced that game.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh a game where it's already hard enough to see your character or tell when your too close to the edge, with even sometimes players ending up off screen for extended amounts of time.... so VR it? Why....
A novelty I guess but it's a strange addition, seems almost desperate.
The camera won't move and you get a seated view of the game, so it really won't help with locating your character.
Seems like a VR hack via Dolphin but much worse, eh, better the VR labo thing gets some use I guess but it's still pretty poor.

The Amiibo journey seems like a good idea though.
Always nice if we can do more with those darn things, not that anyone is able to buy them or anything but nice we can atleast do more with them.

How will you hold it and fight at the same time?

Maybe they expect players to use it with the joy cons docked and hold it up to their face.
That or it's only for watching replays?

Last edited by shadow1w2,

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a 3rd party vr kit or something for switch or are we still stuck using Nintendo vr kit. I remember seeing a link with different google brands glasses but I’m not sure if any of those would work out with the switch.

Jimbo_Slim

Pun Master/Loser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just updated, Amiibo Journey sounds neat, but you have to leave your Switch on, and not in sleep mode. It has to keep an internet connection which means it's really better off when you're busy or asleep. Still neat.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would anyone buy into this unless it's for a child? It's not even technically VR whatsoever. It's like those worthless $20 "VR" devices from Wal-Mart that you stick your phone in. Garbage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat