Missing Children Listings Replacing 404 Pages

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Sicklyboy, Sep 28, 2012.

Sep 28, 2012
  1. Sicklyboy
    OP

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States

A European initiative is putting pictures and biographical details of missing children on the well-known 404 Not Found pages.

Hosting firms, ISPs and media companies have signed up to put the information on what would otherwise be empty pages.

Anyone who runs a website is being encouraged to join the initiative to raise the profile of missing children.

Read More At The Source: BBC

I honestly think this is a great idea, though unfortunately with limited use. It's not often that a 404 is reached unless a link is (somehow) incorrectly pasted, or is an old, outdated link that doesn't exist anymore. However, for the times that one is reached, this could help a missing person be found. I would like to see a US based version of this be put into effect, but until then, I put this one up on my website; maybe, despite the very limited traffic my site gets, it'll help someone. See an example at http://sicklycraft.com/aswtweoh (just a random, garbage link to redirect to the 404)

13 people like this.

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Anymore there isn't 404 pages. If the server received a 404 message most likely it will kick you back to the home page.

3. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    one of the better ideas involving the internet I have read in a long time

2 people like this.
  4. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Nothing else comes to mind but "Neat."

2 people like this.
  5. Sicklyboy
    OP

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States

I would have never thought of it. It's brilliant, honestly. And really, who has a 404 page that holds any sort of special meaning? All mine said was "404 - Page not found" in the normal frame for my site, now it shows theirs. It's something, at least.

1 person likes this.
  6. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    It is a pretty good idea. I got a page saying: "Page not found, just like how XX has not been found". I'm not sure someone who is 34 years old counts as a child, but whatever.

7. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    First thing that came to mind: Madeleine Mccann
    First missing child on 404 page: Madeleine Mccann

:wtf:

8. 1stClassZackFair

Member 1stClassZackFair GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's pretty weird lol

9. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    The only problem though is... people like me, we don't hit that many 404's. It's very rare that I do.

But hey, it's better than having the notices rot on paper out in the streets on poles and shit. Hell, they don't even put the missing kids on milk cartons now.
    No offense and not trying to sound like a dick, but to me, it seems like missing kid papers are just like missing dog notices. People will rarely glance at it, and when they do, it's just a quick looksy.

1 person likes this.
  10. 1stClassZackFair

Member 1stClassZackFair GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Very true. At my local Wal-Mart there's dozens of missing kid flyers on a wall but no-one really takes the time to look at them.

11. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Is this going to be formatted similar to an ad? If so, even fewer people are going to see these missing children. I believe this is a great idea regardless.

12. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

I always pay attention to the missing ads but they are always of people that went missing when they were children like 20+ years ago and I just don't see how I could ever recognize anyone if I saw them.

I've never seen freshly missing children.

anyway. that's a noble idea. unlike the damn Captcha guy. incase you guys don't know, in captcha, when there are 2 words, one word is scanned and the other is jumbled. the jumbled word is the one they check for, the scanned one is to get people to transcribe documents into a digital record from the national library. the guy that came up with it makes a ton of money out of that and I believe we should have people paid to do the job not the masses tricked into doing it for the profit of one guy. why not have more people employed? so I intentionally write wrong words when encountered with a captcha. I usually try and make it offensive while maintaining similarity to the scan. I know that was off topic :P but it is a similar idea.

13. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    You'd actually be surprised at the number of people who still don't have adblock on.

14. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica

Sorry, couldn't resist. (bad snail)

This is in all seriousness is a great idea. Hope its ported to the US. :)

15. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Really? With it being so accessible and installation being hassle free, I assumed the majority of internet users would be utilizing AD blockers.

16. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Very good and beneficial concept put into place. Now I hope I get a 404 page.

Gbatemp needs to implement it too.

1 person likes this.
  17. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    I see comments on tons of IGN articles and even YouTube itself of people who bitch and complain about ads. Even GameTrailers. It's, surprisingly, still not that well known.

18. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I thought they had been doing it for years so as to find that girl with the rucksack.

More importantly I hope they have it render as proper 404 (custom ones are very much allowed but there is still a standard)- I am still a tiny bit ticked off at various ISPs and DNS providers when they redirect a failed lookup (or sometimes just for fun) to ads or a search page. Granted I rarely deal with automated domain lookup that is not a whois or have programs that have truly self contained browsers (or grab the OS one, gimp it and stick it in a window) but this is more of a principle thing.

19. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    this is definitely one of the better ideas to have come out of the internet for a while

1 person likes this.
  20. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    This is a great idea although I don't really get 404 errors alot but nonetheless its a great idea.