Missile Command DS

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tempbot, Oct 19, 2008.

Oct 19, 2008

Missile Command DS by Tempbot at 3:08 AM (1,603 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Missile Command DS
    Rewritten for the NDS
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's the classic Missile Command game, rewritten for the Nintendo DS! Shoot down the incoming missiles and protect your cities. Earn a new city every 10,000 points or, if you already have all four, get a huge point bonus.

High scores are automatic if you have DLDI patching. Most modern cards do this automatically, but if you don't see high scores showing up, you need to manually DLDI patch. The scores are stored in the DATA directory, if one exists. Otherwise they're stored in the root directory.

Notes from the developer

[​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] Discuss

Contributed by Another World
    Edited by Sinkhead & JPH

2. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Why is he bragging about a 3week game unless its like a mastepiece.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    he says he is an engineer, so i guess making a ds game is below his skill set. i think his condescending tone is rather comical. also find it funny that he ported missile command, *wow* that’s a really hard game to port. the math involved with that doesn't even need to be complex, he could have based it all off right triangles from the point of origin to the ground level variable.

[​IMG]

-another world

4. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    no, you guys don't know the fun of missile command. Get yourself an atari emulator and play the atari versions of missile command. Believe me, it's very addicting.
    I remember I tried to play it on the DS using the atari emulator, but unfortunately it only ran in about 80% speed.

But I don't know which version this is based off on. definitely not the atari version.

5. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Appears to be based a bit off the arcade, though the ground and cities are not on-point.

6. Kayvon

Newcomer Kayvon Newbie

I think you misunderstood me.

Learning how to program the DS at all was very difficult for me. I know how to program very well, but the environment is entirely new. So it's not condescension, it's just the feat of being able to learn a new environment so quickly.

The math on the missiles was amazingly simple, yes. I was referring here more to the math involved in 3D gaming, of which Missile Command contains very little. My only point was that the more math you know, the easier it is to program video games. And I wish I had paid more attention myself.

Also, it's not a port. I wrote it from scratch. There are several (intentional) differences from the original game, which I enjoyed. And, yes, it *is* really hard to write your first DS game. A new programming environment, like I said, involves a steep learning curve.

7. Another World

Colombia
    understood you just took it to heart, this is the internet you should never take text to heart. also i agree i remember when i had to relearn trig to do some basic flash games. i can code in over 9 languages so i understand what you said. your tone was condescending but that was an observation which i found funny. funny because i laughed, not funny because you seem like some kind of jerk or something. many people assumed that with your background this wasn't your first attempt at possible ds coding. that was the reason for the *wow*. * instead of " around a word makes it stand out in a *o* (lol) type of way. again something to not take to heart but to take lightly. to me it all read like light-hearted comments.

sorry to have offended you.

-another world

8. Kayvon

Newcomer Kayvon Newbie

You're right. I shouldn't take things so seriously--I overreacted. Thanks for putting everything in perspective.

I'm always saying people need to learn to laugh at themselves. I should take my own advice more often, because looking at it in that view the whole thing is rather comical.

9. Another World

Colombia
    i'm glad we could come to an understanding. i never ment you disrespect.

-another world