Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
homebrew.gif
Missile Command DS
Rewritten for the NDS
missilecommandsmenu.jpg
1224382120screenshot2ib2.jpg

It's the classic Missile Command game, rewritten for the Nintendo DS! Shoot down the incoming missiles and protect your cities. Earn a new city every 10,000 points or, if you already have all four, get a huge point bonus.

High scores are automatic if you have DLDI patching. Most modern cards do this automatically, but if you don't see high scores showing up, you need to manually DLDI patch. The scores are stored in the DATA directory, if one exists. Otherwise they're stored in the root directory.

I made this game from scratch in three weeks. The first week was learning how to program for the DS, which I had never done before. The game itself was programmed during week two. The third week was simply playtesting.

If you're aspiring to program games, the best thing you can do is take math classes. Take all the math classes offered in high school and learn as much as possible. It makes programming much easier and your games will be fast and more efficient. I have a solid math background (I'm an engineer), but I still wish I had paid more attention in my college Linear Algebra.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

Contributed by Another World
Edited by Sinkhead & JPH

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
he says he is an engineer, so i guess making a ds game is below his skill set. i think his condescending tone is rather comical. also find it funny that he ported missile command, *wow* that’s a really hard game to port. the math involved with that doesn't even need to be complex, he could have based it all off right triangles from the point of origin to the ground level variable.

2w39fes.jpg

-another world

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no, you guys don't know the fun of missile command. Get yourself an atari emulator and play the atari versions of missile command. Believe me, it's very addicting.
I remember I tried to play it on the DS using the atari emulator, but unfortunately it only ran in about 80% speed.

But I don't know which version this is based off on. definitely not the atari version.

Kayvon

Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
he says he is an engineer, so i guess making a ds game is below his skill set. i think his condescending tone is rather comical. also find it funny that he ported missile command, *wow* that’s a really hard game to port.

I think you misunderstood me.

Learning how to program the DS at all was very difficult for me. I know how to program very well, but the environment is entirely new. So it's not condescension, it's just the feat of being able to learn a new environment so quickly.

The math on the missiles was amazingly simple, yes. I was referring here more to the math involved in 3D gaming, of which Missile Command contains very little. My only point was that the more math you know, the easier it is to program video games. And I wish I had paid more attention myself.

Also, it's not a port. I wrote it from scratch. There are several (intentional) differences from the original game, which I enjoyed. And, yes, it *is* really hard to write your first DS game. A new programming environment, like I said, involves a steep learning curve.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
understood you just took it to heart, this is the internet you should never take text to heart. also i agree i remember when i had to relearn trig to do some basic flash games. i can code in over 9 languages so i understand what you said. your tone was condescending but that was an observation which i found funny. funny because i laughed, not funny because you seem like some kind of jerk or something. many people assumed that with your background this wasn't your first attempt at possible ds coding. that was the reason for the *wow*. * instead of " around a word makes it stand out in a *o* (lol) type of way. again something to not take to heart but to take lightly. to me it all read like light-hearted comments.

sorry to have offended you.

-another world

Kayvon

Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
this is the internet you should never take text to heart

You're right. I shouldn't take things so seriously--I overreacted. Thanks for putting everything in perspective.

I'm always saying people need to learn to laugh at themselves. I should take my own advice more often, because looking at it in that view the whole thing is rather comical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :rofl2: