Misinterpreting objects in video games.

Skeagle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever thought something in a video game looked/sounded like something else?

For example...

I always thought Virizion from the Pokemon series always sounded like verizon, the internet service. I also do have verizon as my ISP, so the name kind of stuck and I always nickname this pokemon "verizonfios."

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I do the same kind of thing all the time. When I was a kid playing Pokemon Red, I would always pronouce "Ratata" as "Ratatata" for some reason. Then one day another kid rudely corrected me that it was "Ratata." I sometimes nickname them Ratatata.

Edit: I also mispronounce Japanese games such as Danganronpa.

Last edited by Scott-105,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I do the same kind of thing all the time. When I was a kid playing Pokemon Red, I would always pronouce "Ratata" as "Ratatata" for some reason. Then one day another kid rudely corrected me that it was "Ratata." I sometimes nickname them Ratatata.
I did the same, except instead of "Ratatata", I'd say "Rata-tat" cuz it just rolled off the tongue better than "Ratata" when I was like 5 lol. I imagine I pronounce a lot of the newer Pokemon names wrong, too, but I can't be assed to learn how these days.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I did the same, except instead of "Ratatata", I'd say "Rata-tat" cuz it just rolled off the tongue better than "Ratata" when I was like 5 lol. I imagine I pronounce a lot of the newer Pokemon names wrong, too, but I can't be assed to learn how these days.

I think I knew someone who pronouced like that too haha. I'm sure I butcher the new ones.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Not object but a character.
During the longest part of my childhood, I called Crash Bandicoot "Crash Bandit Go", probably because I spoke French, and that I took shortcuts in pronounciations. My sister did the same thing, in fact.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Edit: I also mispronounce Japanese games such as Danganronpa.

I pronounced it like "Rata-tat"
and then I heard it pronounced right in a Pokemon Movie

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
POKEMON_EMER_BPEE00.png

This little dot of land right there on Route 131.

Back when I was a kid I had no internet connection (it still wasn't widespread over here) and there were so many myths and urban legends going around regarding Pokémon and, being a little kid with lots of imagination, I definitely thought it was some sort of secret island put there by the developers. There are little to no istances where you can see something out of bounds just like that on RSE and it's on the same route where the Mirage Island appears, so it made perfect sense to me back then.

You can imagine the disappointment years later when I found out about Pokémon ROM hacking, loaded the ROM in Advance Map and discovered that it's just a small piece of land connected to a meaningless rock.

apraxiumRum

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Misinterpreting things takes a new meaning when playing games lacking item descriptions.
I remember one RPG I played where I bought lots of Elixirs for the final dungeon and used one to heal my character, only to find out it only works for reviving :wtf:

D

Deleted User

when i was a kid I misunderstood a quest to go and hug someone as to kill my nextdoor neighbor randy.

in all seriousness, i always pronounced Arceus as ARE KEY US

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The original duckhunt. Until someone said something about how annoying it is when the dog laughs at you when you miss, I thought he was sucking his thumb and crying. That was 20 years later. To this day, if I happen to play it on an emulator, I can still see it this way.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
first time i've seen yoshi i thought called him "Horse"
You reminded me that I totally thought Tails was a female when I was a kid, but for once I can say this wasn't completely my fault.
In the italian dub of AoStH (yes, I watched it back then) not only they gave him a VERY femminine voice, but they also decided to rename him to "Scheggia" - which, you guessed it, is a femminine name in Italian.

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You reminded me that I totally thought Tails was a female when I was a kid, but for once I can say this wasn't completely my fault.
In the italian dub of AoStH (yes, I watched it back then) not only they gave him a VERY femminine voice, but they also decided to rename him to "Scheggia" - which, you guessed it, is a femminine name in Italian.
weird, for me i always knew tails was a boy, i've never seen someone calling tails female, and lol i never watched a sonic cartoon until internet

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay, so there's this nemesis of Mario named "Bowser". At around the same time I heard this guy's name was also when these new computer programs started cropping up that let you view these "web page" thingies on that "internet" if your computer had a "modem" (which was this device that screamed in high pitch at you and you had to somehow get in your computer because it wasn't standard and USB was a thing of the future). These programs were called "browsers". Now as Dutch doesn't have the word 'browse' in it, you can imagine that I've called browsers bowsers, and that enemy Browser quite some times. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/