Gaming Minor/major beef with Metroid Samus Returns

  • Thread starter Thread starter takieda
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 945
  • Replies Replies 0

takieda

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
173
Reaction score
22
Trophies
1
XP
454
Country
United States
As a failed speedrunner, I tend to still maintain the habits of attempted speedrunning, and EVERY SINGLE ITEM I pick up, I'm forced to wait about 5 seconds before I can hit a button to get past it - no skipping allowed. SERIOUSLY???? For a metroid game that has ADDED missile drops, and reduced the number of missiles per drop - this is draining in a very grating way. My immediate thought was - did I somehow get the Omochao edition????


If you're unfamiliar with Omochao - learn to love the hate.

Also - some of the cutaway animations are cool the first couple of times they happen (successfully doing a melee on an early metroid), but then, as they happen over and over - this can get a bit grating, but doesn't really affect speedruns, so not as bad as the 5 second wait above.

The mapping system is an overall improvement from before (given that you can now post basic notes - and now uses the extra screen, etc.) but so far the only O's (non-found items) are missiles. other items are shown as a different type of icon - this robs us of some of the early mystery in the game. And to have the screen be the "instant morphball button" this was a BAD mistake as I've switched between weapons far too often when I'm trying to switch to morphball then stick to a wall, a common technique that was easy to work in AM2R (which, to be fair, was not an officially licensed game - but I'd hoped for an overall upgrade from AM2R out of this).

Lastly - users should be able to swap the d-pad and left thumbstick functionality. doubletapping down for morphball is BALLSKICKINGLY HARD with the thumbstick.
 

Site & Scene News