Microsoft to Close Xbox PC Marketplace...

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Cartmanuk, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Cartmanuk
    OP

Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2010
  2. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    "Although the purchase functionality will be discontinued, the Games for Windows Live service will continue to operate as usual."

DAMN IT. I was hoping they'd just shut the whole in-game crap down.

3. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    GFWL is a steaming pile, we can only hope future games won't use it.

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

So Games for Windows lives?

BAHIM Z 360, Fluto and lufere7 like this.
  5. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    So... I see that I'm the only one who had absolutely no problems with GFWL and actually don't mind it?

Skelletonike and Sicklyboy like this.
  6. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

I mean, aside from the fact that it was trying to bring XBL to a half-baked desktop environment, what with your same friends list and achievements carrying over, but you couldn't even do basic things like join a party (and voicechat, if I am not mistaken) unless you were on the 360...

But other than limited usefulness, no, I too had no problem with it. Except in its infancy, and with pirated games only (whodathunk) it never caused me any problems.

7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Nope I never had any problems at all.
    Never did understand the hate.

I quite liked getting achievements for my XBL account on some of my PC games.

Skelletonike likes this.
  8. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah those kind of things don't really annoy me as I never used them even when I had an xbox.
    For me, the program ran flawlessly. It never gave me one bit of trouble. I mean, I've even commented on other sites about it and everybody says I'm making shit up or I'm just being stupid because I like it.

I never used the store or anything as the only games that it came with were the Batman games through steam, but even then, it was just fine.

9. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I had close to a whole year where I flat-out couldn't sign in. Especially frustrating when I wanted to play Halo 2. After that I made sure I never bought a game that incorporated GFWL.

10. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    I don't hate it, it's just useless to me as a guy who doesn't have an xbox. I don't know anyone else to add to my GFWL account, no need for achievements on GFWL, and having an extra account to sign into is just a minor inconvenience. (Though to be fair most of the time it remembers my information and I just have to click "sign in". It should have been an optional thing, for players that like using the same account info as with their 360. To me it's just something annoying that gets thrown in my face every time I want to play Grand Theft Auto IV. (I open through steam, sign into Rockstar's member thing for online, and GFWL.) I can't say I've had any actual usability problems with GFWL though.

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    What'd you screw up to cause that to happen?
    Sure sounds like it was your problem.

Skelletonike likes this.
  12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    I tried to use this once in a game can't remember, I do remember though no one was ever online :P

13. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Only experience was with Fallout 3. Not too bad. Just sort of annoying to have to have a whole other program I never use for one game.

But I'm not too surprised. It was absent in Windows 8 (replaced by that weird Xbox Arcade shit)

14. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Nothing I did. It just stopped working on either of my laptops on any of my games, regardless of where I was or what sort of connection I was using, despite the fact that I could log into any other Microsoft service with the account just fine, including XBL. If you search around you'll find it's not an uncommon issue.

15. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    With GTA IV it was a pain, errors, create account to SAVE!!! No more accounts just to save.

16. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    the trick was to create an offline account, which pretty much defeated the point of "live" in GFWL but it was the only way to have it work without problems.

17. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Only problems I had with the service was being signed out at random times, having to be signed in to save your games (although I hear you can get around this by making an offline account?) and the servers being slow when I have had to go through them to download dlc when I bought it on steam...

18. curley12

curley12 Mr.Awesome

Dec 24, 2012
    Somewhere