Microsoft Surface RT tablet?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by dragonblood9999, Aug 31, 2014.

1. dragonblood9999
    OP

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    I was thinking about getting a Surface rt tablet with a Nvidia Tegra 3 1.4Ghz Quad Core, 2GB DDR3 Memory, 64GB Storage it's the ARM version not the intel atom.
    now i know i cant install every app on it but it can be"jailbroken" to run app not from microsofts app store,as long as they are made for ARM.

So i was wondering if its worth getting one for $200 or not?

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    What will you use it for?

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    My father actually bought one a week or so ago, and he says it's great for word processing and some on-the-go browsing, but otherwise it doesn't get much use.

So if all you want it for is some web browsing and typing up notes or something, then I would say yeah. Anything else, though? Meh, might as well get a laptop or an Android tablet.

4. dragonblood9999
    OP

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada

i would be mostly using it for web browsing, youtube, watching anime, read manga, maybe a little gaming on it(emulators or facebook game for my sister).
    dont want to get a laptop because i have a desktop and would not need it. i have a android tablet(a 3 or 4 year old ainol tornados) that takes forever to load if i have alot of files on it, it also dies at 40% even after calibrating the battery

5. rdurbin

rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2006
    United States
    US

honestly I would go with a tablet with full windows. I have the dell venue pro 8, its pretty nice. It does most of the stuff I want and can play A lot of games. Just dont expect to run skyrim at 60 fps

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Venue-Pro-Tablet-Windows/dp/B00FEE7B1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409544489&sr=8-1&keywords=dell venue pro 8

that link above has the 32gb model for $230. Its really best to get the 64gb version or at least buy a big microsd card to use with it. One thing I should caution you that on this tablet is that charging is done through the microusb (like most smart phone/tablets), since there only 1 port, you cannot charge and use devices at same time. I would get a blue tooth mouse/keyboard (unless your just gonna use touchscreen), that way you can use keyboard and mouse while charging

here a toshiba one with the same price of the RT

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Encor...B00G1YKHHA/ref=psdc3_t1_B00FEE7B1I_B00G1YKHHA

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice