Microsoft Confirm Xbox Live coming to Switch (Kind Of Lol)

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Marko76, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Marko76
    OP

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Minecraft is getting a big new update that unifies it across most platforms except for playstation devices. As a result, Minecraft players on Nintendo Switch will be able to play with those on Xbox One or PC. One of the interesting consequences of this new, unified platform is that Nintendo Switch owners will have to log into Xbox Live to play the game online.

Head of Xbox confirmed the news today while speaking on the Giant Bomb E3 Show . In a discussion about cross-platform play, Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann asked about logging in, and Spencer replied that it'll be the same system across all devices. "It's an Xbox Live account; that's our gaming social network," he said.

"We use Xbox Live as the way to make sure we know who our players are, controls around parental controls and other things that we put into our platform are there. And as you're buying things in Minecraft, you want to make sure you have them available on other platforms, so we have to know who you are. If you have a realm that you've created on the PC and you want to get to it on the Switch, we have to have an identity system and we just use Xbox Live."

Gerstmann also asked if players will be able to earn Achievements. "I don't know yet," he replied. "I'm guessing no. And this is a collaborative relationship between Nintendo and I; they don't have Achievements on their platform. If they want us to, I would love to be able to do it... The relationship with Nintendo is incredibly strong. We obviously did the Mario Mash up into Minecraft; that doesn't happen that often."

(Info sourced from siliconera)

Last edited by Marko76, Jun 15, 2017
    kineticUk likes this.
  2. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    This is..... so very very odd. It's exciting tho!

iAqua likes this.
  3. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Minecraft for the Switch has achievements; it's just not a system-wide thing AFAIK.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    funny how sonny went out of the deal, but valve did something similair with portal 2 (if you owned a playstation version of portal 2, you could loggin in steam)

5. spkuja

spkuja GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2007
    This is a monumental step in the right direction. Cross-console play is the way forward. Fair play to Nintendo and Microsoft for sorting out the logistics of it.

Lucifer666 and BlastedGuy9905 like this.
  6. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ
    FANBOYS UNIFY!
    Nintendo + Xbox = STRONG RELATIONSHIP?! Time to stop fanboyism, everyone!

7. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Interesting..Microsoft is getting friendly with Nintendo and Sony isn't. Hmm. I wonder what Microsoft wants from Nintendo ? I smell rat. LOL!

8. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    It IS odd how Sony won't jump on board. A shame really. Hopefully they'll see the light of Unity soon.

Lucifer666 and BlastedGuy9905 like this.
  9. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ
    Of course Sony isn't. They got into a REAL fight when they wanted to make the Nintendo Playstation and Nintendo did some BAD stuff behind their backs.

10. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    Yes, or else we'll have to go Assassin's Creed on them. :3

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Can't blame MS for wanting to unify their online infrastructure, and not deal with the continuing failure that is Nintendo's. Given the... interesting approach Minecraft took with other cross platform play modes I am sort of surprised the switch is getting a full fat version and not a nerfed andrios one, then again if it is all under MS' wing now and not the original company that is not entirely out of the blue.

You smell lots of rats lately. Might want to get that looked at.
    Anyway MS has made GBC, GBA and DS games, or licensed their properties for that.

BlastedGuy9905 likes this.
  12. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Maybe I do. :P

13. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Do I need to pay for an Xbox live Gold membership for this now?

14. mangotowel

mangotowel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    Oh god I hope I don't have to pay for Xbox gold to go online.