Gaming Microsoft Confirm Xbox Live coming to Switch (Kind Of Lol)

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Minecraft is getting a big new update that unifies it across most platforms except for playstation devices. As a result, Minecraft players on Nintendo Switch will be able to play with those on Xbox One or PC. One of the interesting consequences of this new, unified platform is that Nintendo Switch owners will have to log into Xbox Live to play the game online.

Head of Xbox confirmed the news today while speaking on the Giant Bomb E3 Show . In a discussion about cross-platform play, Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann asked about logging in, and Spencer replied that it'll be the same system across all devices. "It's an Xbox Live account; that's our gaming social network," he said.

"We use Xbox Live as the way to make sure we know who our players are, controls around parental controls and other things that we put into our platform are there. And as you're buying things in Minecraft, you want to make sure you have them available on other platforms, so we have to know who you are. If you have a realm that you've created on the PC and you want to get to it on the Switch, we have to have an identity system and we just use Xbox Live."

Gerstmann also asked if players will be able to earn Achievements. "I don't know yet," he replied. "I'm guessing no. And this is a collaborative relationship between Nintendo and I; they don't have Achievements on their platform. If they want us to, I would love to be able to do it... The relationship with Nintendo is incredibly strong. We obviously did the Mario Mash up into Minecraft; that doesn't happen that often."

(Info sourced from siliconera)

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: kineticUk

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Gerstmann also asked if players will be able to earn Achievements. "I don't know yet," he replied. "I'm guessing no. And this is a collaborative relationship between Nintendo and I; they don't have Achievements on their platform. If they want us to, I would love to be able to do it... The relationship with Nintendo is incredibly strong. We obviously did the Mario Mash up into Minecraft; that doesn't happen that often."
Minecraft for the Switch has achievements; it's just not a system-wide thing AFAIK.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
funny how sonny went out of the deal, but valve did something similair with portal 2 (if you owned a playstation version of portal 2, you could loggin in steam)

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft is getting a big new update that unifies it across most platforms except for playstation devices. As a result, Minecraft players on Nintendo Switch will be able to play with those on Xbox One or PC. One of the interesting consequences of this new, unified platform is that Nintendo Switch owners will have to log into Xbox Live to play the game online.

Head of Xbox confirmed the news today while speaking on the Giant Bomb E3 Show . In a discussion about cross-platform play, Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann asked about logging in, and Spencer replied that it'll be the same system across all devices. "It's an Xbox Live account; that's our gaming social network," he said.

"We use Xbox Live as the way to make sure we know who our players are, controls around parental controls and other things that we put into our platform are there. And as you're buying things in Minecraft, you want to make sure you have them available on other platforms, so we have to know who you are. If you have a realm that you've created on the PC and you want to get to it on the Switch, we have to have an identity system and we just use Xbox Live."

(Info sourced from siliconera)
FANBOYS UNIFY!
Nintendo + Xbox = STRONG RELATIONSHIP?! Time to stop fanboyism, everyone!

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting..Microsoft is getting friendly with Nintendo and Sony isn't. Hmm. I wonder what Microsoft wants from Nintendo ? I smell rat. LOL!

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting..Microsoft is getting friendly with Nintendo and Sony isn't. Hmm. I wonder what Microsoft wants from Nintendo ? I smell rat. LOL!
Of course Sony isn't. They got into a REAL fight when they wanted to make the Nintendo Playstation and Nintendo did some BAD stuff behind their backs.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't blame MS for wanting to unify their online infrastructure, and not deal with the continuing failure that is Nintendo's. Given the... interesting approach Minecraft took with other cross platform play modes I am sort of surprised the switch is getting a full fat version and not a nerfed andrios one, then again if it is all under MS' wing now and not the original company that is not entirely out of the blue.

You smell lots of rats lately. Might want to get that looked at.
Anyway MS has made GBC, GBA and DS games, or licensed their properties for that.

Reactions: BlastedGuy9905

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill