Microsoft adjusts Xbox One DRM policies, online check-ins and used game complications are history

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was just thinking about the xbone.. Was going to make a topic to ask about the odds of M$ changing the terms and conditions lol.

Guess they did change most of the shit.
STILL PS4 for me :)

Not loaded with extra money like I used to, gotta stick to a single one.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Even with this, I still have yet to find a reason to buy an Xbone. Maybe, if I find that reason... when I'll find it, maybe I'll be glad they don't have an online requirement anymore. But, for now, Microsoft has yet to offer me a reason to buy their console. I'm picky, and I don't care what you say, the only Xbone game that impressed me was Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. But that's not enough to prompt me to buy one. Plus, it still doesn't work in Romania, so, nice try Microsoft! One step forward doesn't mean you're better than before. In fact, what they did more like told me they took the coward's way out. If they would have been that big, trustworthy company they think they are, they would have stood by their beliefs of how a console should work and make it attractive enough to cover all the features people have been bashing it for. Instead, they got their tail between their legs and decided to switch back to some of the old practices people like. I like that, but making this decision so soon makes me hate them even more. How pathetic can they be... I probably would have had a different reaction if they would have done this half a year/ a year after the Xbone was released, but now, they are just cowards, nothing more. /rantover

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
To the people saying too late:

The consoles aren't even out yet. If you've already made your decision on which console you'll get, regardless of what features and games were announced, only a week after they were fully revealed, you are a moron.

Not to mention, they changed the major things that we wanted changed, and people are still not happy. If it's not going to change your mind either way, why even complain about it in the first place? Stop acting smug about something that hasn't even affected you yet, and won't affect you anymore.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
About time Microsoft does something about all of this. Of course by now there are millions of people that are permanently turned off by the Xbox One for reasons related to this whole mess. Just the other day Xbox's facebook page had tons of middle fingers posted by people anywhere there was the option to comment on something. People are pissed off, and you are really REALLY going to have to earn their trust back. This reversal is a step in the right direction, they need to go a bit further though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still not going to preorder it or the ps4, but it is good that drm is removed because then it can be hacked, and then I might buy it in 2-3 years when the price has dropped.
"because then it can be hacked"
Because it was unhackable before?

Anyone who runs out and preorders a Xbox One now is a sheep. That's all I gotta say.
Though I find the idea of preordering any console to be a less than financially/logically sound act I am going to have to push you on this -- most preorders could be cancelled/refunded on a whim, MS have apparently dropped most of their sticking points and games wise I am not sure one can declare it is uncompetitive at this point.

The problem is, that they can go back to this DRM at any time in the console lifetime.
Assuming they did not leave a proviso in the contract (though that would be tricky) would that not
a) Apply to everybody-- Sony or Nintendo could turn around and do the same thing for instance.
b) Be a massive PR loss?

I would love to know how much Microsoft have now lost in terms of research and development regarding the DRM. They're back in the gaem but I'm still leaning towards PS4 and the WiiU to a lesser extent cause they didn't try to fuck over consumers like the Xbone. There's still a lot of flaws to bash the Xbone with but the really big one is gone.

Though I do not doubt they will have a nice thing in the expense column this year such things never go away and just resurface somewhere else at some other point in time -- mobile phones and tablets seem to be the new locked down niceness and MS' online/thin client, server and embedded markets are making interesting rumblings towards this end.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, there go several of the best features of the Xbox One IMO; the 10 family members shared "pool" of games and playing disc-bought games without discs.

Reactions: ggyo

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
LOL................ poor MS. Now they realized they screwed up and want to fix things, by reverting their decision. Wow, that should teach them that you should never fuck with players and their way to handle games, if I wanna sell my game I sell because I paid for it, stupid MS still have the console $100 more than PS4. For their stupidity they deserve that players just don't buy their "console". It's like saying to some random guy: "Hey dude you suck you mofo" and then when they realize its a cop then they say: "You know what? My mistake, you don't suck...."

jacksprat1990

Trophies
XP
Country
If it is hacked in the future, I might consider buying one. I don't trust them. They have shown their number one priorities.

Plus, I went through atleast 4 red ringers. They should be rewarding me for putting up with their shit for so long.

Reactions: DiabloStorm

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/surprise-xbox-one-drm-reversal-requires-day-one-patch-514419715

I didn't care much about these cloud library features anyway....And why would they need to be gone completely? Those 2 features could go to digital retail copies? Don't tell me they didn't have a backup plan in place in case the drm fell apart (sarcasm) (which it did, more sarcasm). This means microsoft didn't have any other major protection in place besides the drm for the library features...epic universal facepalm!

EDIT: Still not buying one. Voting with my wallet. SCREW U MICROSOFT!

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is cool, more freedom, but they already got their image destroyed and, kinect is still required, cost $100 more and won't be available at launch in like, most parts of the world.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
its too late...they already showed their desired new world of customer control and disk order. They are only doing this because we bitched and they are afraid Sony will completely own them and not get our money. If we didn't bitch, they would have continued with this. Gotta give them SOME cred though, they could have completely fucking ignored us and crashed and burned more :tpi:

They haven't backpedaled on the always on Kinnect though. God forbid they lose their funding by the NSA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU