Hacking Question MicroSD (XC) issues

CapCaveman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have a 128GB SanDisk Extreme Plus microSDXC card that I'm trying to format (to exFAT) on Windows 10.

First, I tried to format it via Windows Explorer (right click > format), but received the error message: "Windows was unable to complete the format" (quick format selected or not).

After some Google-fu, I downloaded SD Formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html), by the SD Association (their recommended software to format SD/SDHC/SDXC cards). Under card information, it showed an incorrect type (SDHC) and capacity (23.08GB).

I was able to format it using that software. There was no way to select the file system, though, and regardless of the formatting option (quick format or overwrite format), it still showed incorrect info.

Tried again using Windows Explorer. Instead of "unknown capacity", it now showed 23GB. I could then format it, but the size remained incorrect. I even tried using DiskPart in the Command Prompt to clean the drive, but it didn't help.

The card is definitely not a knock-off (purchased at Best Buy). It's also brand new. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the card reader that I'm using, bought in 2009.

My order confirmation email says that my card reader is from Kingston, but Windows lists it as a "Generic Card-Reader USB Device". It's working properly and has no available driver updates.

I found the following, regarding compatibility with card readers: https://superuser.com/questions/451...card-reader-or-is-software-support-sufficient

My questions are:

1. Is this issue being caused by a limitation on my card reader's part?

2. If so is it possible to update its software to support SDXC?

3. Is there any way to find out which formats it does, in fact, support?

4. Most important of all, my Nintendo Switch is a launch unit (system version 1.0.0). Will I even be able to use a microSDXC card to backup its NAND using CTCaer-Hekate and later boot into SX OS to create an emuNAND and update it using ChoiDuJourNX?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I kind of doubt it, but it's also not outside the realm of possibility. See if you can't acquire another reader to test with (for instance, a newer USB dongle, or a built-in laptop reader). If it's still showing the same symptoms, I'd highly recommend downloading h2testw and testing the SD card; it's unlikely it's a counterfeit, but that ALSO is not outsoou the realm of possibility, even though you bought it from Best Buy
2. That may be possible, see if there's a firmware or driver update on Kingston's website. In all honesty, though, I genuinely doubt they'd bother
3. If it truly is a 128GB card, you SHOULD be able to format it to exFAT no problem (and technically that's the only format it officially supports, although you could force it to format to FAT32 as well). It appears to be limited to SDHC capacity, though, so the computer would only ever successfully format to FAT32 I believe
4. Nope. You'd either need to update first with ChoidujourNX or official, or use a FAT32 SD card and have the NAND dumper split into 4GB files

Reactions: CapCaveman
D

Deleted User

Yeah, that sounds like a card reader in all honestly, as I have the exact same card. Maybe try one of the cheap $1.50 sd card to usb adapters you can find almost anywhere, as that's what Iv'e been using before I got my new laptop.

Reactions: CapCaveman

CapCaveman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
1. I kind of doubt it, but it's also not outside the realm of possibility. See if you can't acquire another reader to test with (for instance, a newer USB dongle, or a built-in laptop reader). If it's still showing the same symptoms, I'd highly recommend downloading h2testw and testing the SD card; it's unlikely it's a counterfeit, but that ALSO is not outsoou the realm of possibility, even though you bought it from Best Buy
2. That may be possible, see if there's a firmware or driver update on Kingston's website. In all honesty, though, I genuinely doubt they'd bother
3. If it truly is a 128GB card, you SHOULD be able to format it to exFAT no problem (and technically that's the only format it officially supports, although you could force it to format to FAT32 as well). It appears to be limited to SDHC capacity, though, so the computer would only ever successfully format to FAT32 I believe
4. Nope. You'd either need to update first with ChoidujourNX or official, or use a FAT32 SD card and have the NAND dumper split into 4GB files

If the card reader is from 2009 then you should probably get something newer. I've had issues in the past using new cards with old readers.

It's definitely the card reader.

Yeah, that sounds like a card reader in all honestly, as I have the exact same card. Maybe try one of the cheap $1.50 sd card to usb adapters you can find almost anywhere, as that's what Iv'e been using before I got my new laptop.

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Ended up getting a cheap new generic SD card reader, and even if it didn't say anything about SDXC on the packaging, it worked!

My old reader is probably too old, and I couldn't find any updates to its firmware or anything, so I just went out and bought a new one, instead.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Ended up getting a cheap new generic SD card reader, and even if it didn't say anything about SDXC on the packaging, it worked!

My old reader is probably too old, and I couldn't find any updates to its firmware or anything, so I just went out and bought a new one, instead.
Yeah, the inbuilt firmware on the old card reader was probably made long before SDHC came out, and has never been updated or never got supported with an update. Glad to hear it works!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh