Hacking MicroSD classes affect the Acekard2i load times?

Takonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ive noticed some games, have a longer loading screen then others..does a higher class'ed MicroSD help? im using a class 4, would it help if i had used something else like a class 10 or something?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Class speed does not define read speed at all. In fact it does not define max write speed.

Class speed ONLY defines MINIMUM writing speed. It says nothing about average reading/writing speed. In fact reading speed does not matter for flashcart because we are looking for random access speed. Reading speed is for sequential access speed.

In general if writing speed increases so is reading speed. But that is not always 100% true.

Last, class speed is rated by manufacturer. SD card association does not verify this rating. So manufacturer can rate a microSD card class 6 while in reality it is class 4. Alternatively you can have a class 2 card outperform a class 6 card.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well actually I've used some class 6 a data 8 gb cards that seem to slow down when running the intro movie to some games I play. The lag is not present or hard to detect compared to my 8gb class 4 kingston. Maybe they lied about the class but I think your better off getting a card that is known to perform well.

So go with trumpet's advice.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I have a class 2 Sandisk 16GB, but in my tests, it rates a class 4 for write speed. It writes at 4.1 megs per second. Possibly, it didn't get the 4 rating because its MINIMUM write speed can dip below 4.

All I know is it runs all the games I throw at it, AP excepted of course.

Taellon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use a Class 4 Kingston 4GB MicroSD card. I have noticed that the save-times are quite a bit longer than they were when I used a 2GB Sandisk one(unkown class) on my R4. I don't know if this is because of the R4-AK2i change or if my 4GB card is just a crappy build(did come from china, free with my AK2i). I don't have my 2GB Sandisk anymore to test with that either. A few times I've been tempted to just buy a new MicroSD card, but the long save times are only noticeable on Pokemon games.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
Last, class speed is rated by manufacturer. SD card association does not verify this rating. So manufacturer can rate a microSD card class 6 while in reality it is class 4. Alternatively you can have a class 2 card outperform a class 6 card.While this is true, I'm pretty sure that the SD Card Association could revoke the license (meaning they wouldn't legally be able to produce cards labeled SD/SDHC) of a manufacturer who continually produces under-performing or mislabeled cards.
Not to mention that would most likely be a huge blow to the companies image/reputation.

QUOTE(Taellon @ Oct 13 2010, 09:33 PM) Use a Class 4 Kingston 4GB MicroSD card. I have noticed that the save-times are quite a bit longer than they were when I used a 2GB Sandisk one(unkown class) on my R4. I don't know if this is because of the R4-AK2i change or if my 4GB card is just a crappy build(did come from china, free with my AK2i). I don't have my 2GB Sandisk anymore to test with that either. A few times I've been tempted to just buy a new MicroSD card, but the long save times are only noticeable on Pokemon games.
As far as I know, Non-SDHC MicroSDs are exempt from Class Rating, so there wouldn't be one listed.
Also, when you buy MicroSD/HCs with Flashcarts or get them free, you're typically getting cheap ones. You're always better off buying one from a reputable retailer that isn't based out of China.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision +1