Micro SD vs SD Card for 3DS

haddad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About to mod my 3DS, i only have 8GB SD Cards, and I know thats not enough :P

Just wondering, if I should get a 64GB Micro SD Card, and use a Micro SD to SD Card Adapter in my 3DS

Or, buy a standerd 64GB SD Card, and use it without an adapter

Any performance issues between the two? And what's better/recommended?

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
About to mod my 3DS, i only have 8GB SD Cards, and I know thats not enough :P

Just wondering, if I should get a 64GB Micro SD Card, and use a Micro SD to SD Card Adapter in my 3DS

Or, buy a standerd 64GB SD Card, and use it without an adapter

Any performance issues between the two? And what's better/recommended?
As far as I know from at one point using a micro SD on DSi and now having a regular SD on it, I don't see a major difference. If there is any difference, it wouldn't be noticable. Even for my friend's O3DS (specifying this as I have an N3DSXL), there wasn't any issues.

TLDR: There isn't really any difference that I know of. There shouldn't be any issues as a result.

Hope this was able to help you and anyone else reading this

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NormalSD vs MicroSD is nearly the same. They have the same chips build in. They differ only on the outer size. And available capacity and speed.

haddad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NormalSD vs MicroSD is nearly the same. They have the same chips build in. They differ only on the outer size. And available capacity and speed.
The 3DS going through the adapter vs going direct to the SD card. Wouldent using the SD Card without an adapter be better? 1 less thing to go through?

Gsqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS going through the adapter vs going direct to the SD card. Wouldent using the SD Card without an adapter be better? 1 less thing to go through?
The adapter doesn't have any circuitry built in, it's just a plastic casing with some electrical contacts.
R40kT.jpg

Gsqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only thing you have to look out for with an 64GB card is that you need to use a program like guiformat to format it as FAT32, otherwise it won't work with the 3ds, and the windows explorer format tool doesn't let you format anything bigger than 32gb as FAT32.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Its almost the same, if you think to use it just in the 3ds could be better sd but not because of something like speed/read, its about the read issues that has sd card adapters, the generic error usually is because of the adapter, the sd has a better quality, both have something good and bad

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At some points in time then there could have been a proper difference in price per speed, capacity or similar, obviously full fat SD form factor being the cheaper per speed/capacity. At those times I could possibly have contrived something that a human could have measured with a stopwatch as it pertains to the 3ds performance (usually scrolling through a menu in a game with a few hundred items that have pictures/descriptions/need to grab save data). Today unless you find something from a batch from back then you are going to be hard pressed to measure it without a lab, and still likely to be bottlenecked by weaker 3ds hardware. I am not aware of anything on the 3ds ever complaining about slow SD cards outside of ridiculous cases of people using first gen 4 gig things they got shipped with an old phone or something (nothing like the castlevania portrait of ruin stuff on the DS and all the fun that went with that if you are thinking along those lines).

Today SDXC is something of a legacy format and things have shrunk enough or flooded the market enough that differences in vendors of the items themselves is something I would look more to for price differences (pro tip -- many proper sellers on amazon and ebay have their own shops, as you are dealing with own shops rather than the awfulness of amazon and ebay you tend to see cheaper prices on those).

SD adapters are generally reliable tech, and I have used them since 2 gigs was the good stuff only just released and we all wondered what would go (fortunately someone's dad was a photographer or something so had some to test with flash carts). Pretty much just abuse/stepping on them that kills them, and even then it is not assured.
Micro to MiniSD adapters on the other hand. Hate those things.

I would probably pick the micro size mostly for future proofing -- more likely to find something to use that on when you get bored of the 3ds (which has no games) where full fat SD is more limited.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1