Homebrew mGBA official standalone Wii port

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I tried the game I talked about and while it works, it does so with constant slowdown... I guess it's a little too much But for other games, like Final Fantasy Adventure (Or Seiken Densetsu 1, if you want the original title) seem to work better.

I tried the last nightly (11-3), and my god this thing works great with pretty much everything i tried. I can't believe how good it is. I can't wait to waste my life on FFTA AGAIN, this time on a big screen. As it seems to work full speed, at the very least I've noticed nothing wrong even when casting spells on multiple enemies, or with the text boxes on battle (other emus get choppy when those are on screen).

Really amazing stuff.
I can't wait until this starts getting more configuration options, jesus. I also liked that the sound in this emulator is far more smooth than in most others i've tried.

Another silly question, can I turn of the filter on the standalone version? It's not really a problem, it's just that i'm used to RA and I have it turned off there (As I configured it to look great without it).

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Another silly question, can I turn of the filter on the standalone version? It's not really a problem, it's just that i'm used to RA and I have it turned off there (As I configured it to look great without it).
I already opened up an issue in mGBA's webpage about enabling an option to enable/disable the Bilinear Filter, I hate it a lot.
Although, I would strongly suggest that you go to the mGBA forum and request the feature there so that endrift sees that there is interest for such an option to be implemented in the Official Build:
https://forums.mgba.io/showthread.php?tid=25

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I tried the game I talked about and while it works, it does so with constant slowdown... I guess it's a little too much But for other games, like Final Fantasy Adventure (Or Seiken Densetsu 1, if you want the original title) seem to work better.

I tried the last nightly (11-3), and my god this thing works great with pretty much everything i tried. I can't believe how good it is. I can't wait to waste my life on FFTA AGAIN, this time on a big screen. As it seems to work full speed, at the very least I've noticed nothing wrong even when casting spells on multiple enemies, or with the text boxes on battle (other emus get choppy when those are on screen).

Really amazing stuff.
I can't wait until this starts getting more configuration options, jesus. I also liked that the sound in this emulator is far more smooth than in most others i've tried.

You know what stings? That there is a perfectly working Retroarch mGBA Wii core out there that hasn't been shared yet. It's a shame really... This would take care of aspect ratios, filters, control mappings, folders, the lot. The version shared in the previous page was based on an old September build.

Last edited by nakata6790,
Reactions: gothicall

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if this was answered and if so sorry :( but does this emulator support the wii u pro controller? and if so how do I get it to work with my original wii? wii the wii sync to with the controller? :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ok i registered at mgba forums and informed the developer.

Also, seeing that no one else is making one, i decided to make a forwarder for mgba Wii, i attach it to this post. It is simple but gets the job done. It forwards to /apps/mgba-wii/boot.dol, has gba startup sound and the mgba icon as a logo. Channel ID is MGBA and it is only 10 blocks on my Wii's NAND. Enjoy.

any chance you could make one thats compatible to detect the external hard drive? :D

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I already registered there. I was waiting for an email but it seems I didn't need one to been able to comment, lol.

You know what stings? That there is a perfectly working Retroarch mGBA Wii core out there that hasn't been shared yet. It's a shame really... This would take care of aspect ratios, filters, control mappings, folders, the lot. The version shared in the previous page was based on an old September build.

It was a 1.2.2 or a 1.0.0.2 core? If it's for 1.0.0.2 i'll be drooling :o ...

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
...Really? And how do you do so?

If you rather not waste time just tell me where can I inform myself. I'm kind of interested about this...

Daruda

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If i knew how to compile, i would have already done it myself :)

Libretro forums like the one i linked above may yield more knowledgable folks on the matter.

= EDIT =
Think we should ask user retrogamer from libretro? Look at this:
http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4063

@nakata6790 Done. I registered on the Retroarch forum and sent Retrogamer a PM asking him to please compile a mGBA core for RA 1.0.0.2 Wii. He said he didn't realize there was any demand after the release of the excellent mGBA standalone emulator by Endrift. I can imagine. I'm also interested though, to run my gameboy and gbc, nes, snes (with Snes9x Next) and gba games from one frontend so I don't have to switch channels (or reboot the Wii). I also really would like to use save states with Gameboy Advance games, just helps when I am in a casual gaming mood :). Either way, keep an eye out for an updated mGBA core on the RetroArch forums :) (but let's not harass Retrogamer or the mods there ;) - it's all a labour of love and there's a lot of complaining / begging going on ;) ). Good times for us homebrew Wii emulation enthousiasts !

Last edited by Daruda,
Reactions: nakata6790

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That's great news!
[QUOTE="Daruda, post: 5808058, member: 375476]:):););)Good times for us homebrew Wii emulation enthousiasts ![/QUOTE]
Indeed :)

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@zerofalcon thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!
Just tested it and it runs great, ultra fast file browser, custom ratio and directories, wiimote buttons control, overlays and even .zip support, all work perfect. It's the best of both worlds, mGBA's performance and RA goodies. Only issue i found was that i cannot load 32MB roms. I get codedumps upon trying to run them.

Both working! Zipped files, and up to 32MB games tested.

Oh, here i get 32ΜΒ GBA roms giving me a codedump (1.0.2 build). Does the 1.3.0. build load them?
Maybe i am doing something wrong on my part?

Askot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Which 32 mb roms did you tested? afaik 32 mb roms cant be loaded for the mgba core. By removing and adding some lines of code helps to make those 32 mb load somehow, but it is very unstable with lots of dsi code dumps.
How did you achieve that? I added -DDISABLE_THREADING to makefile, but no luck, which lines do you modify?

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Which 32 mb roms did you tested? afaik 32 mb roms cant be loaded for the mgba core. By removing and adding some lines of code helps to make those 32 mb load somehow, but it is very unstable with lots of dsi code dumps.

I tested the following 32MB roms:
  • The Legend of Spyro - The Eternal Night (U).gba
  • Mother 3.gba (english translation patched)
  • Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories (USA).gba
  • Riviera - The Promised Land (USA).gba
  • Yggdra Union - We'll Never Fight Alone (USA).gba

The same roms all work on VBA core or standalone mGBA. To be fair, i only really care about Mother & Legend of Spyro to work as i plan to finish them, so if you want more info on those 2 i would happily provide it.

BTW i also noticed a slight speed decrease or a few dropped frames here and there compared to standalone mGBA in some heavy games (e.g. Motoracer Advance, fps drops to 52.3 according to RA fps display) but i did a tip i had read in the libretro forums: I found the respective .cfg file in the /retroarch folder and edited the audio_out_rate = "48000" line, to audio_out_rate = "32000". Speed is now almost as high as the standalone version.

Last edited by nakata6790,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tested the following 32MB roms:
  • The Legend of Spyro - The Eternal Night (U).gba
  • Mother 3.gba (english translation patched)
  • Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories (USA).gba
  • Riviera - The Promised Land (USA).gba
  • Yggdra Union - We'll Never Fight Alone (USA).gba

The same roms all work on VBA core or standalone mGBA. To be fair, i only really care about Mother & Legend of Spyro to work as i plan to finish them, so if you want more info on those 2 i would happily provide it.

BTW i also noticed a slight speed decrease or a few dropped frames here and there compared to standalone mGBA in some heavy games (e.g. Motoracer Advance, fps drops to 52.3 according to RA fps display) but i did a tip i had read in the libretro forums: I found the respective .cfg file in the /retroarch folder and edited the audio_out_rate = "48000" line, to audio_out_rate = "32000". Speed is now almost as high as the standalone version.
Can you disable the Bilinear filter in the mGBA core?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: And Mario Wonder sounds like a Mario with old timers disease walking the streets lost.