Metroid Other M - Why you think it failed

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by osaka35, May 9, 2016.

?

Thoughts on Other M?

1. It was awesome!

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. eh, it was fine I guess.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. It was pretty bad.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. It's a convoluted mass of terrible.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. osaka35
    OP

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Only negativity allowed in here.

Because Metroid: Other M is just the worst. The absolute worst.

I'm slowly putting together a comprehensive video as to why it's such a huge disappointment. From a character standpoint, a plot standpoint, a logic standpoint, a continuity standpoint, it has fundamental flaws. It is the star wars prequels of the metroid series.

So! In an effort to express the sentiment of disappointment, why do you personally feel that other M failed as a game? as a metroid game? as a wii game? What annoyed you the most progressing through the game?

I'll add more when I have time. This will be my dumping ground for outline junk and stealing ya'lls good ideas and points, including counters to my own points. I really like those, helps keep me honest. I'll eventually add the video.

Plot stuff:
    may contain spoilers

Good concepts they got horrible wrong:

- instead of losing all her abilities, she waits for adam to give permission.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    - The "eraser" plot line is just kind of...dropped

Character stuff:

- Samus: who is she?

-Adam/Daddy
    -Mother brain
    -Ridley
    -"remember me?"
    -the colonel
    -The federation

Themes, setting, and environment:

-The bottle ship

Last edited by osaka35, May 18, 2016
    hobbledehoy899 likes this.

2. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    As my first metro is game I LOVED IT although I'd like to see another perspective what makes it all that bad? Sorry for not being negative I just want to know why everyone is like that

3. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I didn't mind it

WeedZ and endoverend like this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The gameplay was solid, it was the storytelling that just sucked. The story was melodramatic and over the top, but it just wasn't fun. You didn't feel like the powerful character that Samus is, you felt like a helpless version of her. I am not against making her more "human," they just didn't do it right.

5. TheLittlestBowl

TheLittlestBowl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2013
    Canada
    The only thing I found wrong with the game were the times when you had to scan something to progress the game. Some examples are the ship in the beginning and the bush with the baby Ridley in it.

osaka35 likes this.
  6. osaka35
    OP

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Being your first metroid game, most of the continuity, canon, atmosphere, and characterization problems probably won't be a thing for you. Many of the problems come from the fact this game is a sequel...sort of. But In your case, it's like watching episode I without knowing anything about the rest of star wars. Hard to use those as reference points if you've never seen them.

Some people didn't like the controls, but I didn't mind that too much. It felt weird and not very fluid, but it wasn't the worst thing. I enjoyed it from time to time.

Mainly it was the story. Full of
    "why are they doing that?" "because the plot needs them to!"
    and
    "why don't they just do this very logical thing?" "because then the plot wouldn't happen how I want it to happen"

I'll be trying to write out something comprehensive eventually about why the writing is bad.

7. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    They felt the need to drown the player in text, not just any text but just awfully written and badly delivered text. Samus until Other M had been a no-nonsense certified stoic badass but in this game of all things their rationale for why she "loses" her items is because some guy said so. Patronizing and unbelievable to the point of being hard to swallow. From a gameplay perspective I actually thought Other M was fine barring the wonky 3rd to 1st-person transition. I just think it's safe to say Team Ninja had no idea how to write Samus as a character.

Raylight and osaka35 like this.
  8. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I thought the gameplay was really exhilarating and fun at most times. The boss fights were always extremely clutch and I never really understood why people hated this game so much. Sure, the story was over the top, but at least it's not just reading walls of text like the Prime games.

I think people just can't take any kind of variance in their games. Nintendo fans these days cry for games to be *canceled* when they aren't just exact repeats of their predecessors. That's what's keeping Nintendo from moving forward; the cries of their fans who want to live the same exact games they played in their childhoods. I don't even know why Nintendo even tries to make sequels anymore.

NEP, Raylight and DDTarZan like this.
  9. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Three words: "Samus turned moe." It'd have been just as bad "Samus turned sex symbol" but I think westerners, like me, would have overlooked it more. The rest of the complaints about story, logic/continuity inconsistencies, etc? A lot of that came from the attempt at "moe". Fusion too had too much unskippable story (not nearly as bad) and linear gameplay and that too was (mostly) overlooked and in Metroid: Other M it could have been overlookable--they might have pushed Metroid: Other M into the unremarkable and still black sheep but not into the possibly-terrible range.

*sigh* Seriously, the second we saw the obviously-not 6'3" Samus that should have been red flags. *shrug* In short, Metroid: Other M is in the unremarkable territory for a game, the pretty terrible for a Metroid game, and overall it's just made the story line worse (which is saying a lot given how far out Metroid Prime and Fusion goes with their respective MacGuffins). Good have been far worse if the actual gameplay sucked.

10. DDTarZan

DDTarZan Never getting laid again /s

Nov 11, 2009
    United States
    In some trees
    Other M controlled like a 3D Super Metroid, which is what I liked it for. I'm likely guessing the mixture of first-person and third-person segments and action areas is what drove people away. o yea and the voice acting.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Pretty much totally this. The logbook was shit.

endoverend likes this.
  11. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    I really liked Other M.
    The Mechanics and the Gameplay were really fun and i had a really good time. Not as great as Super Metroid or Fusion or Zero mission, but defenitly not the worst Metroid game. That title should go to Metroid Prime Pinball. I hate that game

Last edited by Justinde75, May 9, 2016
    endoverend likes this.
  12. osaka35
    OP

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    It may be just a matter of what you get out of metroid games. For me, the sense of exploration mixed with an uncomfortably creepy atmosphere is what does it for me. Other M was like a telenovela in space.

I didn't mind all the reading, personally, in metroid prime. I'm one of those weird people that like visual novels, though. If you're in it just for the action gameplay, I can see enjoying Other M. Just ignore the fluff/put it on mute and enjoy the playing.

And that's true, change is pretty dang difficult for nintendo fans. But I'd like to think the likes of metroid prime have proven that as long as the game delivers, nintendo fans are perfectly happy with change. Even if they grumble and complain about it beforehand (you should go read what a terrible idea people thought metroid prime was back in the day). Though, to be honest, I'm not sure how that's different from any other franchise fan.

Last edited by osaka35, May 9, 2016
  13. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Personally I still got a sense of exploration from Other M. I'm the type of guy who's not that into huge open worlds, so that could be it. I just don't understand how people can call Other M a trainwreck when the gameplay is objectively fun.

The reason i bring up Nintendo fans is because of the way people have been acting recently, what with Federation Force, Color Splash, and the Fe:Fates localization stuff, people whine more than ever about things that don't matter.

NEP likes this.
  14. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Eh, it was fine I guess.

Gameplay was pretty cool, the story was bland though.

osaka35 likes this.
  15. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    The only thing I dislike about this game was the point at the screen to shoot missiles and some of the questionable scenes where Samus was forced to walk without any build up. I felt the pointing machinic was a useless gimmick that makes the game slightly annoying. Other than that, I thought it was a fun game. Maybe not as good as the Prime series, but never the less good.

16. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    Actually this game made me play the rest of the series, I can see where people come from when they hate Samus portrayal in Other M (Though I'd say she's more worried/thoughful/meditative than weak, most scene are about Samus thinking over the current situation, the one time she appeared weak was with Ridley). And I actually prefer Adam rules in item than the overused "Samus crashed, lost all items, recover them again" plot. But then, the game was very linear for a Metroid game, and the "point at the exact spot" events where annoying.

osaka35 likes this.
  17. osaka35
    OP

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I'll agree that the gameplay is the strongest element of the game, perhaps only second to the graphics. It was novel and something new. It wasn't exactly the best thing in the world, switching from 3rd person to 1st person made me die more than once.

Federation force would be okay, I think, if they weren't touting it as the next main metroid game in the canon. Like, it's not a side-game, or anything. They're making it a cornerstone of the metroid franchise and it's...weird. It's like if they made a silent hill game filled with sunshine and perfectly functional amusement park rides, back before it went all evil. Just feels like they're keeping the name, but missing the magic. Kind of like how they did with Other M.

Those "point at the exact spot" events were asinine. I find it more enjoyable to just imagine everyone just standing there, looking uncomfortably around.

Last edited by osaka35, May 9, 2016
  18. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Personally, I think people are taking the name a bit too seriously. There are Zelda spinoffs that people don't consider to be a cornerstone of the series, and a ridiculous amount of Mario spinoffs. And it still takes place in the Metroid universe, so frankly i don't see why they shouldn't use the name.

19. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    Well, you have guaranteed a main Mario game and at least 3 Mario spinoff each year. And for Zelda we get a new one at least once a year. Metroid is like one per console if we are lucky, so Federation Force was a dagger in the guts for those who wants the original Metroid formula back. (And probably with how badly Other M was received, they went back to the Prime formula).

To be honest, I'm actually looking forward it, a Metroid Prime multiplayer sounds like fun, and as long as it keeps the elements that made Prime successful, I won't mind Samus not being there, or the chibiness of it.

CuriousTommy, osaka35 and endoverend like this.
  20. osaka35
    OP

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    True that, but in this case, it's the official stance. nintendo themselves saying it's a huge piece of canon and is the official "next big metroid game". Which is weird. Should still be fun, though, just feels like them missing the appeal of the metroid series.

endoverend likes this.