Not open for further replies.

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Nintendo looking into ‘Metafortress’ protection to squash pirating, a solution that can’t be blocked by firmware patches
May 13th, 2009

“I’ve been a game developer for 17 years. Every single game that I ever made was pirated. That gets to be distressing. It made it impossible to make games as a professional game developer. [Nintendo has] approved our technology at the highest level for Nintendo games. The engineering team has approved the technique. We take any DS game and inject a security scheme into the game itself. It turns each game into its own security system. Every time we apply it to a different game, it’s a different security system. What we’re really trying to do is make hackers take on a long, slow, manual job. There is no firmware patch that they can apply that will stop our protection — I can’t tell you why that is, though.” - Andrew Mclennan, CEO of U.K.-based Metaforic

source: http://gamasutra.com/news?story=23529

Giratina3

Official Lilac of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
This could well be the ultimate end to DS piracy and all forms of Roms are probably now not gonna work or "brick" our DS's
this is a big jump for nintendo, but will annoy the hell out of hackers lol... good luck cracking this code! i only hope KHdays DOESNT get this feature implemented

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hope Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver DOESN'T get this, but I'm buyin it when it get's to english shores anyway. I don't think this will be on KH unless Nintendo been looking into this protection for a while and no one leaked this. Goodbye romzz :'(

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DeadLocked said:
I hope Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver DOESN'T get this, but I'm buyin it when it get's to english shores anyway. I don't think this will be on KH unless Nintendo been looking into this protection for a while and no one leaked this. Goodbye romzz :'(

You can be sure it will be there, Nintendo will keep this for one of their big upcoming games, and the Pokemon games seem just like fit for them.
We will probably see it sooner on other games though.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh, cba to actually buy games for my DS. Oh well, we've had a good run of piracy, and we now have a good back catalogue of games even if no hackers manage to crack this. My guess is our hackers are too 1337 to let this get to them, and it'll be cracked before too long. If it actually means buying DS games, it's not the end of the world though.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Meh let's just pray this isn't uncrackable, hackers don't fail us now ^^

We've seen stuff said to be unbreakable, they did it anyway. And they'll just bring out a whole new set of flashcarts anyway if it IS unhackable.

EDIT: I wouldn't be forced to pirate games if they were correctly RRPed.... Most DS games here are £30... (Even the imagine sh*t) I can get games like Halo 3 (classic, that) for £15!!!! I can Get Call of Duty 4 for £25. These Xbox games last a LOT longer than most DS titles before completion or tiring out, and they're cheaper. Someone needs to "throw a boot to the head" of Nintendo and sort him out srsly, it sickens me too see the shelves stocked full of these cheap Xbox games and the shelves emptied of all imagine titles.... RIP OFF

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Once one has been 'hacked', everyone can use that one. Or there maybe software released that can 'hack' your own personal backups.

I don't see how making each games security slightly different will help, since there's only going to be one released onto ROM sites. It's jsut each game will be different to crack, not harder, just different and therefor longer. More time does not mean forever.

Piracy will never, ever end.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
What part of "inject a security scheme into the game itself" do you not quite get? It will be for ALL future NDS games. Not just the DSi, or DSi Games.

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
QUOTE said:
Every single game that I ever made was pirated. That gets to be distressing. It made it impossible to make games as a professional game developer

Really? Last time I checked the videogame industry has been constantly growing at an exponential rate, their profits continue to rise and among all Nintendo is tremendously ahead since they have been profiting from their last consoles since launch.

Sorry if I cannot be shamed into buying more language coaches and horse games, hannah montana games and horse games featuring hannah montana: I won't feel sorry cause some multimillionaires can't make a few more bucks out of scaming people with crap shovelware.

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
misanthrope said:
QUOTE said:
Every single game that I ever made was pirated. That gets to be distressing. It made it impossible to make games as a professional game developer

Really? Last time I checked the videogame industry has been constantly growing at an exponential rate, their profits continue to rise and among all Nintendo is tremendously ahead since they have been profiting from their last consoles since launch.

Sorry if I cannot be shamed into buying more language coaches and horse games, hannah montana games and horse games featuring hannah montana: I won't feel sorry cause some multimillionaires can't make a few more bucks out of scaming people with crap shovelware.

So true! And i couldn't agree more.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
it kills the DLDI process but allow homebrew....
something fishy is cooking (i am not the tech guy so i don't know how these things work)

time will tell ~! since they mentioned games launch during the holidays would have this piracy scheme implemented

However, regardless is the new piracy protection but i think there will be some sort of piracy protection on the following games
KH 365/2
DQ9
SAGA2
Infinite Space (Maybe Only)
POKEMON gold and silver remake

a few more not worth mentioning it, since it is J titles

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this piracy protection is successful, does that mean that come December, they will release games that are actually worth buying? Yeah, didn't think so.

All this will mean is that hackers will have something to actually do for a few minutes.

Also, this has already been posted. Please use this thread for further discussion:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154727&hl=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.