Metafortress protection to squash pirating for NDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Gifted1, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2009
  1. Gifted1
    OP

Member Gifted1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    source: http://gamasutra.com/news?story=23529

2. Giratina3

Member Giratina3 Official Lilac of GBATemp

United Kingdom
    This could well be the ultimate end to DS piracy and all forms of Roms are probably now not gonna work or "brick" our DS's
    this is a big jump for nintendo, but will annoy the hell out of hackers lol... good luck cracking this code! i only hope KHdays DOESNT get this feature implemented

3. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I hope Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver DOESN'T get this, but I'm buyin it when it get's to english shores anyway. I don't think this will be on KH unless Nintendo been looking into this protection for a while and no one leaked this. Goodbye romzz :'(

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    You can be sure it will be there, Nintendo will keep this for one of their big upcoming games, and the Pokemon games seem just like fit for them.
    We will probably see it sooner on other games though.

5. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Oh, cba to actually buy games for my DS. Oh well, we've had a good run of piracy, and we now have a good back catalogue of games even if no hackers manage to crack this. My guess is our hackers are too 1337 to let this get to them, and it'll be cracked before too long. If it actually means buying DS games, it's not the end of the world though.

6. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Meh let's just pray this isn't uncrackable, hackers don't fail us now ^^

We've seen stuff said to be unbreakable, they did it anyway. And they'll just bring out a whole new set of flashcarts anyway if it IS unhackable.

EDIT: I wouldn't be forced to pirate games if they were correctly RRPed.... Most DS games here are £30... (Even the imagine sh*t) I can get games like Halo 3 (classic, that) for £15!!!! I can Get Call of Duty 4 for £25. These Xbox games last a LOT longer than most DS titles before completion or tiring out, and they're cheaper. Someone needs to "throw a boot to the head" of Nintendo and sort him out srsly, it sickens me too see the shelves stocked full of these cheap Xbox games and the shelves emptied of all imagine titles.... RIP OFF

7. hacker07

Banned hacker07 Banned

Antarctica
    The Guy in the interview said that the code detects the type of flashcart and kills the rom. So it has something to do with dldi.

8. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    Once one has been 'hacked', everyone can use that one. Or there maybe software released that can 'hack' your own personal backups.

I don't see how making each games security slightly different will help, since there's only going to be one released onto ROM sites. It's jsut each game will be different to crack, not harder, just different and therefor longer. More time does not mean forever.

Piracy will never, ever end.

9. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    This only works for the DSi right? I feel bad for you guys now (Is super glad i didnt get one)

10. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    What part of "inject a security scheme into the game itself" do you not quite get? It will be for ALL future NDS games. Not just the DSi, or DSi Games.

11. misanthrope

Newcomer misanthrope Advanced Member

Mexico
    Really? Last time I checked the videogame industry has been constantly growing at an exponential rate, their profits continue to rise and among all Nintendo is tremendously ahead since they have been profiting from their last consoles since launch.

Sorry if I cannot be shamed into buying more language coaches and horse games, hannah montana games and horse games featuring hannah montana: I won't feel sorry cause some multimillionaires can't make a few more bucks out of scaming people with crap shovelware.

12. Zane

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    So true! And i couldn't agree more.

13. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    it kills the DLDI process but allow homebrew....
    something fishy is cooking (i am not the tech guy so i don't know how these things work)

time will tell ~! since they mentioned games launch during the holidays would have this piracy scheme implemented

However, regardless is the new piracy protection but i think there will be some sort of piracy protection on the following games
    KH 365/2
    DQ9
    SAGA2
    Infinite Space (Maybe Only)
    POKEMON gold and silver remake

a few more not worth mentioning it, since it is J titles

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    If this piracy protection is successful, does that mean that come December, they will release games that are actually worth buying? Yeah, didn't think so.

All this will mean is that hackers will have something to actually do for a few minutes.

Also, this has already been posted. Please use this thread for further discussion:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154727&hl=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.