Gaming Messaging system being implemented?

championskill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I read this article about how the 3ds is lacking a messaging system.
QUOTE said:
Bill Trinen, Product Marketing Manager at Nintendo of America, has noted that there could be a messaging feature added in the future, "The goal is that there will be some messaging functions."
However, the article states that I'm just excited to see how it turns out. Are you excited or it's like whatever?
rolleyes.gif

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/25726

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
championskill said:
QUOTE said:
Bill Trinen, Product Marketing Manager at Nintendo of America, has noted that there could be a messaging feature added in the future, "The goal is that there will be some messaging functions."
However, the article states that I'm just excited to see how it turns out. Are you excited or it's like whatever?
rolleyes.gif

hopefully it's face time video chat
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
championskill said:
QUOTE said:
rolleyes.gif

Not Nintendo Japan?
Unless it's them, or Reggie, it's pretty much conjecture.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is no way they won't add a messaging system in the future (Woah, double negative).

It may not be in the May update, but they have to add it eventually.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt they'll add a messaging system (unless I've missed it and there is one on the Wii) because of privacy concerns.

Look at the few online DS games that support 'chat', they're basically limited to premade messages.

Z

Zorua

twiztidsinz said:
I highly doubt they'll add a messaging system (unless I've missed it and there is one on the Wii) because of privacy concerns.

Look at the few online DS games that support 'chat', they're basically limited to premade messages.

There is a messaging system in the wii. Hell, you can even e-mail people using it!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
twiztidsinz said:

There is a messaging system in the wii. Hell, you can even e-mail people using it!
That's what he said.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see any sort of live chat coming, because there's really no point if it doesn't run underneath the game itself and Nintendo has shown that they don't believe in any sort of multitasking in their devices.

Some weird time-delimited email system, maybe.

Z

Zorua

machomuu said:
Zorua said:
twiztidsinz said:

That's what he said.

My bad. I thought he said that he doesn't think that there's a messaging system in the wii unless he's missed it.

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
I don't see any sort of live chat coming, because there's really no point if it doesn't run underneath the game itself and Nintendo has shown that they don't believe in any sort of multitasking in their devices.

Except, the 3DS does have an OS running under the game.
Hence the home button, which allows you to pause and go back to the home screen, browse the internet or whatever, then get back to your game.
Plus the constant wifi connection and other background 3DS features.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alato said:
Urza said:

Except, the 3DS does have an OS running under the game.
Hence the home button, which allows you to pause and go back to the home screen, browse the internet or whatever, then get back to your game.
Plus the constant wifi connection and other background 3DS features.
The fact that there's a software layer underneath is irrelevant, as that is the case with any platform (including the NDS).

Only being able to check your messages during a paused game state is a time delimiter, making is unusable for multiplayer games, and negating most of the benefits of such a system.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
The fact that there's a software layer underneath is irrelevant, as that is the case with any platform (including the NDS).

Only being able to check your messages during a paused game state is a time delimiter, making is unusable for multiplayer games, and negating most of the benefits of such a system.
I dunno, I think it works really well on the PS3. Finish a fight, message the person and have them receive an indication during gameplay.
Sure it's not the neatest system, but it works for what it is.

Maybe voice chat could come into play in a lot of games as well.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not see what wrong or pointless with having live chatting in game vs underneath.

Also some people do not want messages popping up in the middle of game play anyway.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Do not see what wrong or pointless with having live chatting in game vs underneath.

Also some people do not want messages popping up in the middle of game play anyway.
Those people would disable the feature.

QUOTEMaybe voice chat could come into play in a lot of games as well.
That's what would be optimal, but the NDS SDK supported it, and we didn't see much development there (only implemented in a handful of games).

A more global system would promote developer participation, but I don't see it happening.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
machomuu said:
Zorua said:
twiztidsinz said:

That's what he said.

My bad. I thought he said that he doesn't think that there's a messaging system in the wii unless he's missed it.
I did.
I thought Nintendo was anti-chat for the fear of child predators and stuff.

But I guess that if the Wii has it, then it's entirely possible for the 3DS to have it as well.

Z

Zorua

bigpaws said:
i thought that the friend codes were supposed to do that, to make it harder for that to happen

Yes, thats right. You need to have the friend code of the person you want to message(wii).

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
exactly.
so why would a chat system for between friendlist members on new games whether online or not
if the 3ds is connected to the internet that is
and maybe a video chat like the pkmn one for between friendlist holders

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.