Hacking menuhax stopped working after downgrade

blinky87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using this guide to attempt to put arm9loaderhax on my n3ds which was on 10.3 https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started

First I used browserhax to load homebrew menu and then menuhax manager to put menuhax on the system. and this worked fine. I could hold d-pad down when booting and homebrew menu would load.

Next I downgraded to 9.2 using PlaiSysUpdater and this seemed to work ok and my system is on 9.2 now.

I then reinstalled menuhax using browserhax and it seemed to work, but when I boot the system with the down d-pad pressed it starts to load the homebrew menu but freezes on a white screen.

But browserhax still works fine. So I ran menuhax manager again via browserhax and deleted menuhax and reinstalled, but still hangs upon reboot on the white screen. Also, I manually deleted the menuhax files including payload from the sd card and went through the procedure again to reinstall menuhax but after all of that it still freezes on the white screen.

My question is could this indicate a bad or partial downgrade? I don't want to continue the procedures until I understand why menuhax is no longer working. There were no errors that I saw during the downgrade process.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be menuhax being difficult and not wanting to boot or could be a partial downgrade...Launch homebrew, redo downgrade again, if anything didn't get installed the first go it will install the second time around. If it is a good downgrade, try a different boot.3dsx file.

Reactions: CrispyYoshi
D

Deleted User

If you're getting a white bottom screen during the hax, it's an indication the payload is incorrect. If it's truly downloading the correct payload and getting a white screen, you most likely have a partial downgrade. Did the downgrade go smoothly or did it throw any errors?

Use the downgrade-check tool through browserhax and post the log here.

Edit: If you used PlaiSysUpdater, it should've created a log, you should attach that as well.

blinky87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't see a PlaiSysUpdater log anywhere. Ran the downgrade checking tool and it reported this:

[MISMATCHED VERSIONS]

TitleID Vers: Expected Installed Description

0004009b00010402 04098 05122 N/A
0004001b00010802 00000 01024 N/A
0004013000001b02 02048 03073 GPIO system-module
0004013000001a02 05120 06145 DSP system-module

[EXTRA TITLES]

TitleID Vers. Description

0004003000009e02 01031 amiibo Settings

[MISSING TITLES]

Last edited by blinky87,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
MenuHax is part of the sysnand, it sin't in it's own protected space like A9LH is... So any downgrades or nand moving removes it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Could be menuhax being difficult and not wanting to boot or could be a partial downgrade...Launch homebrew, redo downgrade again, if anything didn't get installed the first go it will install the second time around. If it is a good downgrade, try a different boot.3dsx file.
the boot.3dsx file on the root of my SD was 0KB for me when I had problems. replacing it with a known good SD backup restored it to working order.

BabyBichu

Trophies
Website
babybic.hu
XP
Country
United States
MenuHax is part of the sysnand, it sin't in it's own protected space like A9LH is... So any downgrades or nand moving removes it.

the boot.3dsx file on the root of my SD was 0KB for me when I had problems. replacing it with a known good SD backup restored it to working order.
Yep this one is right.
After downgrade just reinstall menuhax like u used to.This time u just need "Install",the config file has already been generated cause u have configured once.

blinky87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran PlaiSysUpdater again to re-downgrade and it finished right away and reported success. I then ran downgrade checker tool and it still reports:

[MISMATCHED VERSIONS]

TitleID Vers: Expected Installed Description

0004009b00010402 04098 05122 N/A
0004001b00010802 00000 01024 N/A
0004013000001b02 02048 03073 GPIO system-module
0004013000001a02 05120 06145 DSP system-module

[EXTRA TITLES]

0004003000009e02 01031 amiibo Settings

[MISSING TITLES]

I then reset my theme data and reinstalled menuhax and now it works! Thanks guys!.

But should I be worried about the mismatched files reported by downgrade checker tool?

Something changed though. I just dumped sysNAND again after getting menuhax working and the SHA hashes between the previous one and this are different.

Here are the logs from the downgrade checker:

Attachments

• downgrade_check_logs.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by blinky87,

blinky87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my goal is to install a9lh, but I was hesitant to continue with menuhax not working as maybe I had a partial or bad downgrade.

Now I am concerned about the results of downgrade checker tool.

Anyone know if my results above are anything to concern myself about?

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
Well my goal is to install a9lh, but I was hesitant to continue with menuhax not working as maybe I had a partial or bad downgrade.

I had a bad downgrade , I used 3DNUS to download each file and the expected version, after I installed via SysUpdater by placing the files in updates folder of SD.

Also A9LH is worth the hassle , less chance of losing the hacks and less chance of messing up SysNand, Just make sure you follow the guide by the very letter or enjoy your new doorstop :D

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Those results are normal on a n3DS. They shouldn't affect your ability to run CFW/homebrew.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I only have OoTHax , so when I do the A9LH guide on another 2DS, I use my (A9LH+Luma) 2DS that's setup with a formatted 9.2 EmuNAND. This allows me to create and install the OoTHax payload onto my cart for whichever system versionI need to get HBlauncher opened during the tutorial. (10.7U or 9.2U)

McDood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry for reviving an old topic, but I have a question. So I installed a9lh on my n3ds and the same thing happened to me as to blinky187, but I didn't reinstall menuhax I just opened hbl from the browser everytime i needed it during the installation. I followed the guide and I now have a9lh installed, and everything seems to work perfectly. Because I followed the guide, I did a SysUpdate as well. Anyways, my question is, should re-install menuhax or just leave it be?
Also, is it normal, that every time I quit HBL without a restart I get an error that says "An error has occured, please close any software and restart your system" ?

D

Deleted-394630

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but I have a question. So I installed a9lh on my n3ds and the same thing happened to me as to blinky187, but I didn't reinstall menuhax I just opened hbl from the browser everytime i needed it during the installation. I followed the guide and I now have a9lh installed, and everything seems to work perfectly. Because I followed the guide, I did a SysUpdate as well. Anyways, my question is, should re-install menuhax or just leave it be?
Also, is it normal, that every time I quit HBL without a restart I get an error that says "An error has occured, please close any software and restart your system" ?
GOSH DARN IT! This is from May! That was like, 8 Months ago! Create a new thread to answer a question like this, don't revive old threads! How did you even find this thread?

McDood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
GOSH DARN IT! This is from May! That was like, 8 Months ago! Create a new thread to answer a question like this, don't revive old threads! How did you even find this thread?

Used google...

And I thought it's better to revive an old thread with the same/similar problem then creating a new one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free