Menuhax low boot rate.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by BeefBaby, Dec 5, 2015.

1. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Alright tbh I couldn't find the official thread for menuhax. Only one that was for sharing custom themes. So recently I got a n3ds xl 9.0.0-20U, and installed cfw and menuhax. On my old 2ds when I use menuhax I usually get into emunand the first try. However on the n3ds xl it works about a quarter to a third of the time. I was wondering if there was any fix to this, or if I just need to wait for menuhax to improve. If anyone could direct me to a thread discussing this, I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks. :nds:

2. herolarcio

herolarcio The difference is night and day.

Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    My room
    Use a differentlauncher like Masher's grid launcher. That seems to work better for me.

3. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Does Masher's Grid Launcher allow you to boot emunand/hbl from launch?

4. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    :nds:=:teach:
    :yay3ds:=:hrth:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think you can.

Voxel likes this.
  5. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Hmm, I can't find the thread either. I do remember reading that having an image show at startup instead of whatever was dumped to the screen from the RAM increases the successful boot rate percentage a bit.

from https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax

Here's the thread with custom boot images if you don't feel like making one yourself: https://gbatemp.net/threads/menuhax-2-0-custom-main-screen-images.401528/

BeefBaby likes this.
  6. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    A
    Alright I don't know how to install those boot images, but I did install the default one and you were right. It seems it's working everytime. Thanks :grog:

7. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Actually nevermind. I just got the menuhax screen then white on bottom....

8. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Perhaps you ought to uninstall and then re-install menuhax to see if that helps. What I quoted earlier gives you instructions, but in a nutshell:
    • The PNG dimensions must be either 800x240 or 240x800.
    • Put the PNG in this directory on the SD, naming it as such: "/3ds/menuhax_manager/imagedisplay.png".

BeefBaby likes this.
  9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Menuhax just doesn't have perfect boot rates. There are times where you'll get stuck on a white screen and sometimes on a yellow screen.
    In fact, I don't think any of the entry points have 100% success boot rates.

BeefBaby likes this.
  10. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    I'm using the ctrboot manager as boot.3dsx. With a 1 second delay (to optionally choose smea's launcher) the manager then boots the gridlauncher.
    Boot rate seems to be pretty much perfect, it has never failed.
    (N3DS on 9.5FW, menuhax with 2.5)

BeefBaby likes this.
  11. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    The failure occurs before the hax can load a boot.3dsx so I don't think it affects anything.

BeefBaby likes this.
  12. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Alright installing the custom image seemed to help out. Way better than before atleast. I'll take a 50/50 bootrate over the 1/4 boot rate earlier. Lol thanks everyone.

One more question for you pingouin7. Say I boot into emunand, then I use say cubicninja to boot ctr again and get to hbl. After being done with hbl it restarts and starts ctr boot manager again. If I choose rxtools(emunand), or let the time run out and it defaulty chooses emunand. I get a black screen on top with red on bottom. I'm guessing this is caused by the system trying to load emunand again after it's already been booted. Any work around for this or should I just restart when I want to access hbl again?

I guess I could just select reboot, then select emunand. Should fix it.

13. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I am not entirely sure what you mean.
    By the way, if all you want is exit from HBL back to emunand, hold down L+R+B+Down until the bottom screen turns pink. It should give an error and send you back to home menu on emunand.
    (That is, if you accesses HBL via Cubic Ninja on emunand.)
    Also I would recommend simply using yellows8's HBL Loader in emunand instead of Cubic Ninja CIA. It's easier and faster. :3

BeefBaby likes this.
  14. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    I've been using that lol. Thank you.

15. Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    DalvĂ­k, Iceland
    I have a custom firmware related question: I'll only ask it here and all I ask is that someone PM me to help me solve my issue. I won't discuss it here, but I can't get a solid answer from anyone on here.
    I want to dump DSiWare from my EmuNand. I don't want to dump all the applications throughout my EmuNand. Only 1! I want it to be a install-able .CIA formatted file. Again, I apologize sincerely for asking this here, but, I can't get help for nothing! PM me please if you wish to help me. To avoid making a completely unrelated post, I'll contribute here somehow. ( I don't know much here about menuhax. )
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, is Menuhax your only option? Can't you use OOThax or something?

16. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Well OOThax is the same as ninjahax and ironhax. All 3 require you to launch a game which is pretty inconvient if you always want to be in emunand. Menuhax allows you to boot straight into emunand off start up. I think adding a custom image to the menuhax boot sequence fixed the problem. I haven't got a yellow/white bottom screen in awhile. Thanks though. :P