Memory card failure/corruption

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Aroth, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Does anyone know of any way to test a vita memory card for failing sectors/blocks or other potential corruption?

I have been having an abnormal (seemingly) number of crashes an errors during daily use of the system since i dusted it off a week ago. Numerous occurrences of C2-12828-1 when trying to launch henkaku (actually had it happen 10+ times in a row earlier today when trying to launch via the offline installer), as well as repeated hard crashes (power off) while trying to dump games/patches with Mai. At first I though maybe it was just that specific game, but there is no reason a US version of the game would fail to dump when the EU one does, not to mention people successfully dumping the same game from the same region via Vitamin (I even did it myself a few days ago before I decided to swap to Mai). On top of that a game I successfully dumped the game AND patch of two days ago is now crashing during dumping the patch (I had to reinstall it to get the latest patch because I forgot to download it before dumping before).

Since I am not seeing anyone else being vocal about this many errors in such a sort time, I am left to conclude that the problem is unique to me and my system. Barring some strange issue with my Vita, I can only conclude that the fault MUST lie with the memory card, since it is the only other common element to all of my issues that would be unique to my situation.

2. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I cant speak for the issues while dumping games with mai, but it's normal for the web based henkaku to give that error occasionally. It normally works first time for me though.
    The offline installer method seems less stable and normally takes anywhere from 3-8 'C2-12828-1' codes before it launches, the usage instructions note that this can happen: https://henkaku.xyz/showcase/#/homebrew/0-offline

It's the same on my vita 1000 with 64GB card, 2000 with 16GB card and PSTV that's currently just got the internal 1GB so I would not take it as a sign of memory card issues. The exploit is very complicated, nothing to worry about :)

Last edited by Count Duckula, Oct 8, 2016
  3. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Is it a 64gb card by any chance? :shit:

4. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    nope, just 32GB. Still sucks.

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Has anyone ever troubleshoot the error code? Is actually a known problem by many psvita users and even sony themself. Is not cause of homebrew. The best thing you can do is back up your save data for all games, format the system and then recover it. I had this error playing tales of heart R and Muramas rebirth on my system, every time tales of heart loaded, it gives me the error, and exits, and random problems and crashing in muramasa rebitrh was the same error.

I don't actually know if sony addressed a fix for this that doesn't require a format or something easy, but is one option. Perhaps a corrupted file was in the game, hard to tell, it happens sometime. No one knows why or how it happen, but saftey user manual, most likely say not to do anything common sense wise when transfering data like remove memory card, or power off system or unplug usb. Of course we all know these things but some still forget i guess.

6. Rasa39

Rasa39 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2015
    I have a 64gb and it totally sucks, worst purchase I've ever made (I just could afford the time wasted backing up games to and from my 16gb)
    That error has happened more to me now than before, but I don't know if that's just because of the recent updates to henkaku or not. Since it works after trying a few times, or restarting my vita and trying again if it keeps failing.

I mean it's very nice when it works, but more often than not I find myself rebuilding the database and hoping my games don't suffer audio cut-out and freezing on certain animations all because of Sony's proprietary bullshit. Transfer rates are also so bad that even with usb 3.1 it never actually completes a transfer (like 1124h remain on a transfer that has being going all day). It also can't actually backup for shit, most my games are like 300mb instead of their full size in cma.

Luckily henkaku is to my rescue as ftp works wonderfully so long I can get an internet connection, although that's just one problem solved.
    I might jump back to my 16gb now that I can ftp, not sure if that's possible without having to update or whatever, but I think there are homebrew solutions for it.

Don't go buying those 64gb cards people, they are a nightmare. Only got mine cos it was £45 for 32gb or £55 for 64gb at the time. My damn ssd only cost me £80 and that's 250gb without crippling proprietary speeds -_-

CymraegAce likes this.
  7. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Someone mentioned on /r/Vita that he got it once and it just got progressively worse from there, eventually reaching the point he couldnt play several games because they would crash on launch. This was like a year ago so before Henkaku and backup loading. General consensus that I have seen is that the C2-12828-1 error is similar to the Error #132 from Windows (Fatal Exception, usually caused by a bad read from memory or trying to access something out of bounds). It appears to be a strong indication of SOMETHING being corrupted on the system. Often this could simply be the app.db, in which case rebuilding the database would fix it (at least temporarily). The problem seems to be that once you get the error during normal usage of the system, it almost never goes away completely. (Obviously if you got the error from trying to install henkaku or load a backed up game with an incompatible plugin, that is a different story. I am talking about getting the error while trying to play a retail game or use a normal Vita app)

Yeah the proprietary format of the card really sucks. I'm not sure if its just bad/flawed design or a problem with how the system accesses it or what, but corruption on the Vita memory cards seems to be FAR more common than on any other kind of media, plus the cards seem to have far low write endurance (number of times a block can be erased/written) than conventional flash media formats. You aren't the only person to question if their card is giving out from excessive writes done while dumping/installing games. The dude that is maintaining the dump pack over on the Vita piracy subreddit (also posts on various private trackers and I THINK I've seen him here too) is on his third memory card after the first two (32GB and 64GB) give out on him while dumping/testing games for his pack. That is no where NEAR enough writes to trash any other type of flash media. Plus the damn things are like $80 for a 32GB and $100 +shipping to import a 64GB.

Good news is that some people are working on reverse-engineering the damn thing to either make some sort of adapter or possibly third-party cards.

As for your transfer problems with CMA, I assume you mean QCMA since you mentioned using Henkaku. If not I would suggest using it (or whatever other preferred alternative you have). Just make sure to put your system in airplane mode and THEN reboot it before connecting to the PC. Also don't try and transfer the entire card at once. Do 1 or 2 games at a time. Three at most. I tried to back up all my games at once (like 6 or 7) and the ETA starting climbing with no end in sight. When it hit ~30000 minutes remaining I pulled the plug and hard-rebooted the system, then transferred 3 at a time and had no problems.

SuperDan likes this.
  8. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    i read this...

I got mine to work. I'll tell you step by step.------
    1) Make sure the Vita is completely turn off.
    2) Take out the memory card, if you haven't done so already.
    3) Push the memory card back in all the way in and don't let go of it.
    4) turn the Vita on.
    5)A screen should pop up saying "updating database"after the warning screen and just wait until its done.
    6) Once its done updating, let go of the memory card.

*****Try downloading something if it's a new memory card so that you know it works
    *****Also you can do it on the home page screen. Just reinsert the memory card and hold it and press yes to restart and then you should just follow step 5 and 6.
    *****You will have to do this every time you switch to this memory card if the Vita didn't detect it.
    If it doesn't work just repeat the steps.

I hope it works for you.

I've also herd that PSTV KILLS MEMORY CARDS.... overtime ...
    i guess im lucky my 64gig card has been perfect with no issues at for 2 & a half years..
    i've been interested in getting a PSTV recently ... but if i do i will grab a 32gig card for it ...My 64 card ain't ever leaving my Vita...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Good news is that some people are working on reverse-engineering
    i hope they figure it out

9. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    FTP ...takes far to long .. use the PSP SAVEDATA Method

10. FinalStrike

FinalStrike Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2016
    United States
    Some where alone watching anime and crying
    So from using a 16gb and a 64, you can assure that it is the 64gb memory cards fault for causing all these chaotic crashed/ error messages? I was thinking about a 64gb memory and after seeing the price tag I am on the fence. I have a 16gb, the main reason I am not jumping to get the 64gb is because I keep thinking "Will I even play all that ~36 games that I have at the same time?". So, I was wondering do you play more than 3-4 games at a time?

11. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    I personally never play more than 2 or 3 games at any given time. It's nice to have the extra storage to through a few more on there so I don't have to worry about wanting to play a game I forgot to transfer back to the card when I go on a trip or something.

12. Aroth
    OP

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    So I got everything (I HOPE!) backed up and formatted the card. Reinstalled Henkaku, Vitashell 1.2 and Maidumptool v233.2zEx and Tales of Hearts R is dumping on the first run. Looks like a format fixed whatever sort of corruption my card was experiencing at that time. Unfortunately it does seem to suggest that the data on my card was corrupted (and that mai was maybe trying to write to bad sectors?), which suggests I might need to start saving up for a new card....