Memory Card Classes

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Couugghhing, Nov 30, 2008.

Nov 30, 2008

Memory Card Classes by Couugghhing at 6:19 PM (1,244 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Couugghhing
    OP

Newcomer Couugghhing Member

United States
    What is a "Class"?
    e.g. Class 4/6/8

And, what is the difference between them?

I know as the numbers go up, the faster the memory card; however, what does that mean otherwise?
    e.g. Do games slow up a lot? Am I limited to the games that I can play? Will movies slow down? Etc.

2. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    [​IMG] I'd get a class 6, just to be on the safe side.

I have an Adata 4g class6 and have no problems with it

3. jmckutchin

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've played mine with both a Class 4 and a Class 6 and don't notice much of a difference. Still, the prices are relatively even so I would just splurge for a Class 6 to future proof a little.

Personally, I believe the class refers more to write speeds, but it's probable that read speeds are affected as well.

4. Tomy Sakazaki

Member Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
  5. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    I don't understand:
    How the WRITES speeds affects the READ speed?

6. jmckutchin

United States
    You probably won't notice a perceivable difference in write or read, especially for this use. You'd notice it more if you used the card for high quality picture taking.

However, you can get a Class 6 card for about as much as a Class 4 card, so you might as well go for the Class 6 card unless your particular flash cart has compatibility issues (I know my R4 won't work with ADATA). But honestly, you won't notice a difference while you're actually playing a game.

In any case, format the card you get with the Panasonic Formatter (below). It properly formats the card using the correct specifications, unlike Windows/OS X's formatting service.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html

7. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    The class is less important than getting the right brand; certain manufacturers try to just meet the requirements while others far exceed them but only class their products to mid range prices.

For example, I have a verbatim branded class 6 and a kingston branded class 4, both 4G in size - the class 4 is around 20% faster on read/write benchmarking (same read, cards were both blank and freshly formatted for the test), as well the latency of the verbatim was significantly slower (on DS cards this seems to be the important part.) Off the top of my head, the read speed verb:14.2M/s, king:18.4M/s and latency verb:1.2ms, king:0.9ms - I didn't pay much attention to the write speeds at the time but I do know I can put large files onto the kingston much quicker than the verb. (btw: I got them locally on sale, the verb was $20, the kingson $17.)

Heck, I have even seen fake memory that exceeds the product specs of the original they are copying - in everything but longevity (they fail long before the warranty would expire on the official product.)

Maedhros: write speed doesn't affect the read speed, but it does effect the cards overall performance and thus it's rating (as mentioned above, one of their main target customers are those with digital cameras that can do things like high speed photos or video.)

8. jmckutchin

United States

I actually read some benchmarks on the ADATA Class 6 4GB (which I happen to own, along with a Kingston 2GB) that said it actually performed much better when you already had data on the card. Weird, no? At any rate, I notice no difference/compatibility issues between the two.

9. Couugghhing
    OP

United States
    I just got my memory card in the mail today, and I formatted it. Well, I tried to that is. It says I formatted it, but it didn't do the "Format (Erase On)". Does this mean I succeeded in making my memory card faster?

I'm trying to get my memory card ready for when my AK2 comes in the mail.

10. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    There's no need to do the "Erase On". Just "Quick Format" or "Format (Erase Off)" is enough.

11. Couugghhing
    OP

United States
    Oh good! So that means the memory card was formatted. Thanks!

Also, do you guys know much about ipod nano modding? (off topic, sorry)