Hacking memory capacity for dstt

xkenshinx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone has been able to use an 8gb MicroSD on DSTT.
I'm planning on buying a bigger memory card, so I might as well try and research if 8gb works.
Thanks.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xkenshinx said:
Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone has been able to use an 8gb MicroSD on DSTT.
I'm planning on buying a bigger memory card, so I might as well try and research if 8gb works.
Thanks.

yes its SDHC compatible you can use 8gb and bigger .. from the dstt website

100% SDHC TF and standard TF compatibility up to 4TB(4096GB) flash memory card. not that tb mem cards are available anywhere!!!!
frown.gif

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought it said 4GB. Lol. Also, how would they know 4096GB will work. What, they actually tested it with 4096GB MicroSDHC card ?

xkenshinx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol yea I thought it only said 4GB hahaha. Thanks for the info. 1Terabyte >.> I couldn't even imagine how that would be on my ds!
biggrin.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe 16GB might be the largest commonly available, and it's not a class 6. The DSTT has problems with lagging if there are a large number of ROMs on the card even with a much smaller and faster class 6 card (and I don't believe placing the files into folders helps since they are always displayed in one menu), so I'm not sure how it would do with a 16GB much less a 1TB microSD card. YSMenu might fare better.

-Bri

xkenshinx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you talking about the loading of the roms? Or the gameplay of roms in general when you have too many roms on your microsd?
I think I have about 9-12 games right now plus 450mb worth of music and I've no problem with lags so far, even with Jump Ultimate Stars. =)

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The lag is when scrolling the game menu when you have a lot of ROMs (you'll notice it at 30 or so ROMs). Music and other media that doesn't show up in the menu won't affect it. The more ROMs you have the slower it gets, so I can only imagine how slow it would scroll with 2000 ROMs.

-Bri

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have no issue whatsoever with lag in the menu on my original or fake (gold dot, from DX) DSTT when using either my 4GB class 2 or 8GB class 4 sandisk cards.
100+ items, no lag whatsoever. Scrolling page at a time with the dpad left/right and with the touchscreen dragging the scroll bar are both responsive.

I've read putting files on the root of the card can cause issues. Putting all of them in a folder (eg 'games') leaves me with a menu that runs great.
A lot of people report this issue, luckily I have never experienced it myself.

I wonder if people are using genuine memory cards purchased from bricks and mortar stores (my cards are), or possibly fake ones from online.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use a real Kingston Japanese 2GB card, formatted with FAT16 (which is faster than FAT32). And yes, putting the .nds files on the root will cause all sorts of problems (I have mine in a single "games" folder).

With about 30 to 40 games or more, I do notice some lag in the menu with the scroll bar and stylus. The lag is far less noticeable if you scroll a page at a time, but seems to be worse the more files that are on the microSD card.

To compare, the same microSD card on my Acekard 2 scrolls through the menu completely smoothly regardless of the number of files. I think the difference is that the DSTT scans the file list for the files it will display each time the scroll bar is moved whereas the Acekard scans the file list once beforehand and then displays it.

-Bri

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What do people define 'lag' as?
It takes less than 1 second (probably about 1/2 a sec) to load after dragging the scroll bar, but that seemed to be about the speed with less items.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's the lag I'm talking about. It not only takes about a half second to display after scrolling, but it also lags during scrolling (the scrolling is jumpy rather than scrolling smoothly). If you use an Acekard you'd be able to see the difference (I can scroll as fast as I want and it's perfectly smooth).

Anyway, the DSTT is certainly not unusable (and you can always click in the scrollbar to jump to a location in the list), but definitely not smooth. Since the lag increases as the number of ROMs on your microSD card increases, I imagine that with something like 2000 ROMs it might be unusable.

-Bri

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ahh ok, fair enough if others are smoother. I never use the up and down scroll bar touch buttons, I just tap the general area I want then use left and right on the dpad.
I've read a lot about other cards having better OS's etc but have stuck with the ttds because its cheap and has worked well for me. Im hoping there will be future OS updates tho....

I thought I was normally picky about unresponsive menus etc, but with 20 or with almost 200 items I never thought to myself 'this is laggy and it bothers me'.
Only reading others complain about it got me interested.

If it gets slower the more items there are then it has not yet reached my threshold for getting impatient, if it took 2 or more times as long to update then it certainly would.
If I ever get a 16GB+ card I'll find out I guess.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad: