ROM Hack Melee43DS Thread Continues Here! (Help Wanted!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can make an attempt to get Original Smash Melee models. Not sure I will be successful.

Mugen Lord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Listen guys, the ones I've tagged in the post are all I know ok?

Apparently I contacted the wrong guy but the original dude saw the new thread, according to him....

Why he won't make a formal reply? Beats me... -_-

wuboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is interesting, I guess you used a way back machine to get the old post back.
I'm just the announcer in mod, but I've picked up move set editing with @Sammi Husky 's Sm4sh Tools while everyone else is working at school and stuff. If you have any balancing ideas feel free to PM me.
We'll most likely get the mod back up and running in the summer, when school's over. Until then progress will be slow.

Last edited by wuboy,
Reactions: Mugen Lord

Mugen Lord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Well this is interesting, I guess you used a way back machine to get the old post back.
I'm just the announcer in mod, but I've picked up move set editing with @Sammi Husky 's Sm4sh Tools while everyone else is working at school and stuff. If you have any balancing ideas feel free to PM me.
We'll most likely get the mod back up and running in the summer, when school's over. Until then progress will be slow.
Will Do!!!

It's good to have you back! :bow:

44100hz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some stuff I was thinking about for making this work on a 3ds without putting my hands into instant physical pain:

Melee is fast, but on 3ds I don't think things should be fast so much as melee-like. I bet that melee would be just as complex/popular if the game was running at 80% speed or so. I think we'd want to scale character falling, running, and other speeds based on some multiplier of melee speed. The input buffer would make a long of more difficult melee tech a lot easier, but it would still require that you press the second or third button in a series of inputs before their window. In the long run, I don't think it's a good idea to keep the input buffer around, or maybe just to shorten it. As a melee player, older versions of PM that maintained the input buffer had me mistakenly doing aerials off stage after getting pushed off, for example, among other things.

Also, the biggest things I want to see right away are:
  • raised fall speed
  • recovery nerfs
  • melee-style ground movement
I also don't give a single crap about:
  • aesthetics and texture hacks
  • music/sound
  • branding, etc.

Mugen Lord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Here's some stuff I was thinking about for making this work on a 3ds without putting my hands into instant physical pain:

Melee is fast, but on 3ds I don't think things should be fast so much as melee-like. I bet that melee would be just as complex/popular if the game was running at 80% speed or so. I think we'd want to scale character falling, running, and other speeds based on some multiplier of melee speed. The input buffer would make a long of more difficult melee tech a lot easier, but it would still require that you press the second or third button in a series of inputs before their window. In the long run, I don't think it's a good idea to keep the input buffer around, or maybe just to shorten it. As a melee player, older versions of PM that maintained the input buffer had me mistakenly doing aerials off stage after getting pushed off, for example, among other things.

Also, the biggest things I want to see right away are:
  • raised fall speed
  • recovery nerfs
  • melee-style ground movement
I also don't give a single crap about:
  • aesthetics and texture hacks
  • music/sound
  • branding, etc.
It's gonna be on Wii U as well, so that'll have to be a separate compromise, which, I'm not sure they'd be willing to put in the extra work...

44100hz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's gonna be on Wii U as well, so that'll have to be a separate compromise, which, I'm not sure they'd be willing to put in the extra work...
IMO it should be Wii U only then, with 3ds as an afterthought at best. Why bother?

44100hz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well isn't it simple? Two separate workloads.

but in your defense, I guess they can just go back when done with all main adjustments and focus on 3DS alone after? ^_^"

I guess if 3ds is a better way to template game changes due to more hacking progress, it makes enough sense to work on both at the same time. Especially if you've got in-house 3ds experts that know nothing about Wii U or vice-versa. I was more concerned with a finished product being on both platforms, which seems like a lot of extra work.

wuboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO it should be Wii U only then, with 3ds as an afterthought at best. Why bother?
Don't be rude, we have our reasons for making this for 3DS first.
Most of us understand the 3DS more than the Wii U
Until recently we didn't have the ability to dump the Wii U version of the game.
We all have 3DSs, not all of us have a Wii U, so it'd be more difficult to test it.
Because of the recent Kernel Exploit, we now have the ability to run mods on Wii U. Before that, however, we did not.
Sure, right now, modding the game for Wii U seems more reasonable. A month ago, however, it was not. Do not ask a question so heavily based on the context of the Wii U/3DS hacking scene, it'll only cause problems for us in the future.
I'm sorry if I seemed harsh there, that's just my immediate response.
As for porting to the Wii U, the games are not too different in terms of the core fighter files and such, it'll be a relatively comfortable (but not necessarily easy) port to the Wii U.

Last edited by wuboy,

44100hz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't be rude, we have our reasons for making this for 3DS first.
Most of us understand the 3DS more than the Wii U
Until recently we didn't have the ability to dump the Wii U version of the game.
We all have 3DSs, not all of us have a Wii U, so it'd be more difficult to test it.
Because of the recent Kernel Exploit, we now have the ability to run mods on Wii U. Before that, however, we did not.
Sure, right now, modding the game for Wii U seems more reasonable. A month ago, however, it was not. Do not ask a question so heavily based on the context of the Wii U/3DS hacking scene, it'll only cause problems for us in the future.
I'm sorry if I seemed harsh there, that's just my immediate response.
As for porting to the Wii U, the games are not too different in terms of the core fighter files and such, it'll be a relatively comfortable (but not necessarily easy) port to the Wii U.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be polarizing. I think we're on the same page, though.

GudPiggeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've spent some time working on sm4sh turboed. I would be glad to help with animcmd, and hopefully MSC when it is able to be edited.

If you want some information, I don't think anything relating up-b height or extra if/else statements (in animcmd it's true/false) or detecting extra inputs, changing direction, etc. is possible without MSC.

Is it called MSC? I think it is.

I do think fall speed is able to be changed in param, but I haven't looked at param much.

Last edited by GudPiggeh,

Mugen Lord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
No, I'm sorry for being harsh.
I have a history of classmates criticizing my work...
@44100hz
These mods will put a ton of pressure on any dev really. The meticulous work required is a HUGE undertaking...
So though many suggestions are welcome, the tone being displayed should be that of a suggestion in itself.

but hey, we're in this together... is what's important! :yay:

Last edited by Mugen Lord,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head