Megaupload's Kim Dotcom denied bail in New Zealand

arogance1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
photo_1327472645628-2-0.jpg

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom will stay behind bars awaiting possible extradition to the United States after a New Zealand judge Wednesday said the Internet millionaire poses a serious flight risk.

Denying an application for bail, Auckland Judge David McNaughton said the German had the money and shady connections to slip out of New Zealand if he wished, following days of media revelations about his playboy lifestyle.
The founder of the file-sharing website Megaupload.com has been in detention since police raided his vast "Dotcom Mansion" in Auckland on Friday, spending his 38th birthday on Saturday in a remand centre, as part of a major US probe.
The Internet tycoon appeared upbeat as he was ordered to remain in custody until a US extradition application is formally launched on February 22, winking at supporters in the court with his hands on his hips.
But his lawyer Paul Davison said Dotcom was disappointed and would appeal the bail decision as soon as possible, while his co-accused's lawyer predicted a "fierce battle" against the US allegations.
Revealing that the heftily built businessman was on medication for diabetes and hypertension, Davison said there was no danger Dotcom would flee because his assets had been frozen and his family remained in Auckland.
"He has no intention whatsoever of endeavouring to leave New Zealand," Davison told reporters.
The judge raised concerns that Dotcom, who US authorities allege received $42 million from his Internet empire in 2010 alone, had passports and bank accounts in different names.
He said that, given Dotcom's vast wealth, there was no guarantee he did not have funds hidden away which could be used to escape the country.
In addition, he said an unlicensed sawn-off shotgun found in a "panic room" to which Dotcom retreated when police swooped on his home raised questions about possible crime links.
"It suggests a level of criminality which to my mind could easily extend to exploiting criminal connections to obtain false travel documents and leave the country undetected," he said.
The raid on Dotcom's home netted a 1959 pink Cadillac, numerous other luxury cars and valuable artworks -- all of which the US Justice Department and FBI allege was obtained through "massive worldwide online piracy".
They indicted Dotcom and six others last week, accusing them of generating more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and costing copyright owners $500 million-plus by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows and other content.
Judge McNaughton noted that Dotcom was accused of the largest Internet copyright piracy case in US history, and prosecutors had vowed to seek maximum penalties of 20 years on racketeering and money-laundering charges.
He said that might prove a possible motive for Dotcom, who legally changed his name from Kim Schmitz, to try to reach Germany -- which would provide a safe haven as it refuses to extradite its citizens to the United States.
He said prosecutors argued this had already occurred with one of Dotcom's co-accused, Sven Echternach, another German national who travelled to his homeland from the Philippines after arrest warrants were issued in the case.
McNaughton, who reserved a decision on bail for three of Dotcom's co-accused until Thursday, said extradition proceedings were likely to take "some months".
Lawyers for the three men, Guy Foley, said they would fight allegations they were part of a criminal conspiracy to undermine copyright laws.
"This is likely to be a fierce battle over copyright issues, it is not an open and shut case by any means," he said.
Auckland lawyer Rick Shera said that under New Zealand law, US authorities can request extradition for an alleged offence if it is also regarded as a crime in New Zealand and attracts a jail term of 12 months or more.
But he said defence lawyers were likely to argue that Dotcom's Megaupload was a legitimate file-sharing site, not a criminal enterprise.
"Given the resources available to him (Dotcom), it's not going to be resolved anytime soon," he told AFP.

Source : Google, Yahoo News, AFP and many other news sites

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: 1 person

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
He's probably a flight risk, but this all out charge for proving he's the most despicable criminal in the history of despicable criminals seems odd. After hearing about his life he just seems like a child millionaire playboy living in giants body.....perhaps that's what he wants us to think but i wouldn't be surprised if at some point there's a reveal that he has a Olympic sized pool filled with Dom Perignon, as it's getting that silly.

All these accusations of him being a criminal mastermind at the head of a huge mafioso like empire just seems to be some method to ensure he goes down fast and hard.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All these accusations of him being a criminal mastermind at the head of a huge mafioso like empire just seems to be some method to ensure he goes down fast and hard.

Well he's certainly the head of something huge, if you catch my drift.

The guy doesn't exactly seem like the "martyr" everyone wants. He's probably the dread "1%" (or by the looks of him, he looks like he takes up a good 5%).

Alright, enough fat jokes Guild.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
He's by no means a martyr but do we have any evidence that he's been involved with anything other than digital copyright theft and distribution?

Anyone would think that this guy has fingers in drug and weapon running, third world sweatshops and the slavery trade by the way he's being painted. He just looks like a guy who abused the copyright system, got rich, and swam in his gold.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's by no means a martyr but do we have any evidence that he's been involved with anything other than digital copyright theft and distribution?

Well there were reports that he was arrested for money laundering on top of the copyright crap. Certainly not gun running or drugs but certainly a serious criminal charge.

I wouldn't say he's some criminal mastermind but I don't see people around the internet looking to fight injustice rallying around him either. He's simply looks like a rich guy who cheated the system.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
He's simply looks like a rich guy who cheated the system.

And it's those sorts of crimes that are generally punished most severly...Govenrnments tend to dislike rogues making money. Certainly it's not uncommon for people in the UK Justice system to get less time for murder than money related crimes.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well there were reports that he was arrested for money laundering on top of the copyright crap. Certainly not gun running or drugs but certainly a serious criminal charge.

I wouldn't say he's some criminal mastermind but I don't see people around the internet looking to fight injustice rallying around him either. He's simply looks like a rich guy who cheated the system.

Reports are, last I checked, not equal to evidence. I see no reason to take the US government's allegations seriously, at least for the moment. The entire thing smells like a dirty tricks operation. The lack of due process alone in shutting down the site is enough to raise skepticism, especially since there has been no verdict has been rendered, or even a trial. The US government's willingness of detaining people without any evidence or trial in the past (indeed, in the present) should not be forgotten.

It's even more laughable that the bourgeois media has been taking a plethora of potshots at Dotcom for his wealth and celebrity abroad when the criminals of opulence behind the 2008 financial crisis continue to roam free locally. The Obama administration has ostentatiously defended the interests of the rich throughout its tenure, so why vilify him and shut down Megaupload? It's simple: to show that the opposition of Americans to the antipiracy laws and expansions of police-state measures do not matter. It's the expression of democracy in decay. This was ultimately a move to get the ball rolling on criminalizing file-sharing at the behest of the entertainment industry, and the US state will do whatever it takes to carry that out. I hope that this, at least, is obvious.

Okay, I've said all I can. Back to being absorbed in school work for another month....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E