The Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What ever happened to the good megaman type games. The sidescrollers with X and eventually Zero. Why did it change to this battle network crap. Even the MegamanZX and ZXadvent isnt really the same. The starforce series/battle network series are ok. and the ZX ones were decent. but they arnt as good as the original stuff. I wish they would make a megaman game like the original ones for the ds

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah well dude you have mess out on a lot. The MMZ series from the GBA were all awesome. The difficulty level inside those games were just like the original Megaman X games if not harder. Megaman ZX series so far are good with a little hit and miss in between though...

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
ya, it be pretty neat if we have a megaman x on the ds, even if they just remake it, i frankly wouldn't mind abit
biggrin.gif
plus i can finally play megaman x7 or the command mission if those are included in the x series
biggrin.gif
i will finally at the very least be able to complete my collection hehe

teH XeRO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's almost like asking wat ever happened to sonic the hedgehog. none of those games passed the second one on the dreamcast have been any good..and theres been a lot of them. i'd say megaman has more potential to put out a more acclaimed and popular game among fans than sonic at this point. sega has taken a huge crap on that franchise =(

Smef

The GbaTemp Hitchhiker
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.smefworks.com
XP
Country
United States
Megaman X8 was actually really good, but that came out years ago and we haven't heard anything since. You can find that game for PS2 and PC, i believe. X8 had the gameplay of the SNES X games, which i was pleased about. It is one of the best in the series, especially past X3. I really wish they would make a new X game for DS or Wii, though. I have the X collection for gamecube, but I would like to see a new game.

I wasn't a big fan of the Zero games. They were fun, but it was like the game was on extreme difficulty mode the whole time. There were instant kill traps everywhere, and the only way to get more health or new weapons was to beat the levels while shooting as few enemies as possible, taking no damage, and never dieing while being super fast. A rating system to determine if you get your upgrades is a terrible system IMO.

ZX seems fun so far. You get new powers and armors, which I enjoy. It feels like a classic X game in that regard. What I don't like about it is the open world exploration. I think that this was a good idea, but was not implemented too well. The sparsity of save points makes getting to and beating a level way more of a hassle than it needs to be. If they put saves at the start of each "level" the game would be a lot more enjoyable. I haven't played Advent yet, so it might be different in that game.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm with you starter. The only truly great Megaman titles were the original line. X wasn't that great, 1 was pretty good, but went downhill into way too much being gimped out and collecting things. I couldn't stand at all anything that showed up on the GBA period. Battle Network was just dumb with the card type chips to battle by, and Zero was just obscenely hard and made worse by stingy save setting that covered life and lives remaining (at least the first did which could end up trapping you.) They even had Rockman and Forte the SNES game put on there and that version was awful as they didn't rescale the boss rooms/bosses to fit the new vastly smaller area leaving almost no way to evade some stuff (enjoyed the SNES original a lot.) MM9 is cool but it's crazy too, but at least it keeps with the good standards.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
teH XeRO said:
it's almost like asking wat ever happened to sonic the hedgehog. none of those games passed the second one on the dreamcast have been any good..and theres been a lot of them. i'd say megaman has more potential to put out a more acclaimed and popular game among fans than sonic at this point. sega has taken a huge crap on that franchise =(
I think the appearances of Sonic and Megaman on the DS were absolutely better then just decent... On the other hand their appearances on other consols were maybe not as good
tongue.gif

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Smef said:
Megaman X8 was actually really good, but that came out years ago and we haven't heard anything since. You can find that game for PS2 and PC, i believe. X8 had the gameplay of the SNES X games, which i was pleased about. It is one of the best in the series, especially past X3. I really wish they would make a new X game for DS or Wii, though. I have the X collection for gamecube, but I would like to see a new game.

I wasn't a big fan of the Zero games. They were fun, but it was like the game was on extreme difficulty mode the whole time. There were instant kill traps everywhere, and the only way to get more health or new weapons was to beat the levels while shooting as few enemies as possible, taking no damage, and never dieing while being super fast. A rating system to determine if you get your upgrades is a terrible system IMO.

ZX seems fun so far. You get new powers and armors, which I enjoy. It feels like a classic X game in that regard. What I don't like about it is the open world exploration. I think that this was a good idea, but was not implemented too well. The sparsity of save points makes getting to and beating a level way more of a hassle than it needs to be. If they put saves at the start of each "level" the game would be a lot more enjoyable. I haven't played Advent yet, so it might be different in that game.
No. It wasn't really good. It was riddled with bad voice acting, terrible level designs, and near retarded bosses. The series really should have ended at 6, where zero gets put into a pod. Which is where Mega Man Zero picks up, when you find Zero in that pod in the beginning of the first game.

Smef

The GbaTemp Hitchhiker
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.smefworks.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was better than any of the Playstation games. The controls were much tighter and the weapons you could get for zero were awesome. The graphics weren't spectacular, but they were acceptable, and the gameplay was enjoyable.

Nocturnius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree. i miss the old megaman games. star force sucks. ZX is even worse. ugly voice acting. the game play is not all that awesome. you can transform to different armor and such. still not very good. i get bored of it fast. i want future megaman games to be like the old ones. i want my little blue megaman back! lol

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's all a matter of opinion. I am not much of a fan of the Battle Network stuff, but I thought the ZX and Zero series were pretty good, and sometimes downright awesome. I mean, at least they are trying to be innovative with the series. 9 was essentially a tribute to the Megaman of old, so it's not like they have forgotten about their "traditionalist" fans.

Megaman is doing well IMO, but I can see how many fans don't like it evolving into something other than, "Select from 8 different bosses, and then fight Wily." Nostalgia can often get in the way of enjoying new things. But again, its all a matter of opinion.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, Capcom is losing me as a fan, im a Giga-Uber-die hard Megaman Battle Network fan (owned every single one, along with every strategy guide, AND in everyone except for 6 i got all the Chips/beat Bass), But lately, all the Megaman games aside from the ZX series are complete and utter dissapointments. Star Force 2 was just horrible to me, the Wave Card system screwed Wi-Fi over from day 1.

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too am a hardcore Battle Network Fan. Or was, so much that I almost got into the anime itself. I have to say though, Battle Network utilizes a very unique battle system and actually make it work. Playing with your friend is extremely fun in my opinion. Much more so than grinded/pokesav'd pokemon battles. The Star Force series isn't really fun, especially with that imba buster you get at the start of the game and horrific camera views.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea...playing with friends was so awesome, my favorite probally was 5 though, since it had the Boktai 2 linkage (and i happened to have it
tongue.gif
), nothing was more fun than killing your friend with Gun Del Sol+Panel breakers, ultimate cheapness move. 6 wasnt as good storywise, i liked the fact you could play as all those different navi, and the fact that transforming was completely badass. But my favorite gimmick was probally the Dark Chips.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
dgwillia said:
Personally, Capcom is losing me as a fan, im a Giga-Uber-die hard Megaman Battle Network fan (owned every single one, along with every strategy guide, AND in everyone except for 6 i got all the Chips/beat Bass), But lately, all the Megaman games aside from the ZX series are complete and utter dissapointments. Star Force 2 was just horrible to me, the Wave Card system screwed Wi-Fi over from day 1.

It's called 'change' and you can't do nothing about that. What I don't understand is people are complaining like this is the first time a game company is moving away from their roots. Look at SEGA doing with Sonic; an abomination to old Sonic fans however they are still making a profit from the naive Sonic fans that hadn't played or dislike the ones from the Genesis days.

This argument is no different from the other, the only difference is that the spin-offs doesn't always have Megaman as the main character or Dr. Wily as the main villain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol