May someone please clarify the Hackmii/HBC update?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mattster99, Aug 19, 2010.

1. mattster99
    OP

Newcomer mattster99 Member

United States
    So I saw that there is an update but everyone seems angry about it removing some features, I am confused.

I use Wiiflow, Wiimc, Systweak and Bootmii boot2,

Will this stop these programs from working, if so why?
    What programs cannot function?

And lastly, what is the benefit to this update?

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure before I install this IOS58 and new HBC.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all you guys' support.

2. picano

Member picano GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It removes NOTHING.

That's all fear mongering and speculation due to removal of cIOS related stuff on wiibrew (in favor of AHPROBT... or however it's spelled.... support)

3. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    As stated above, it does not remove or block anything. All that basically happened is that Wiibrew will no longer be supporting/hosting applications which can install a custom IOS to the console. That doesn't mean that you can't download it somewhere else, however.

As for the latest update, the Homebrew Channel can now use IOS58, which has an official USB2 module. This means that the Homebrew Channel can now support USB 2.0. To download IOS58, either update through Nintendo to 4.3 (personally, I do not recommend this), or use Tantric's IOS58 Installer. If your Wii cannot connect to the internet, then you could try downloading IOS58 with the NUS Downloader. Pack IOS58 as a WAD, and use a program like WadImport to install it.

EDIT: By the way, if you plan on using the USB 2.0 support with the Homebrew Channel, then you should probably install IOS58 before you install the Homebrew Channel. If you install the Homebrew Channel first, then it will not select IOS58 as the IOS to use.

4. mattster99
    OP

Newcomer mattster99 Member

United States
    Ok thanks a lot. I did try the install for IOS58, it downloaded but the Installation failed. So I just updated to the new HBC and before it installed it said it installed IOS58.
    So I did notice that everything still works just fine. I was wondering how can I run WiiFlow via USB2?

5. elimist

Member elimist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wiiflow is allready using usb2.0. usb 2.0 is nothing new, it was enabled on pretty much every cios. Its just that hbc refuses to use patched ios which means that the official 58 is the only one it uses for usb 2.0

6. Codify

Newcomer Codify Member

United Kingdom
    I don't think that's just fear-mongering.

There have been reports of HBC messing all sorts of things up if it gets paranoid and thinks you are running any piracy-related CIOS; results vary from HBC deliberately running itself upside down to blocking access to USB drives.

7. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Uh, NO. You are a moron. HBC won't run ON a patched IOS, but it won't care in the slightest if you have one, and USB support is a little buggy perhaps, not at all purposefully though.