Maxing out PSUs

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by elchzard, Dec 26, 2009.

Dec 26, 2009

Maxing out PSUs by elchzard at 4:32 PM (1,638 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. elchzard
    OP

Newcomer elchzard Member

United Kingdom
    Hey guys, I'm upgrading my Graphics card and I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen, but I'll ask you anyway.

I'm currently using an old one; an Nvidia Geforce 6200, and thinking of upgrading to a mid-range one;Nvidia Geforce 9600

Cheers for your help in advance guys.

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It depends on everything else in your system and your PSUs output.

3. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    It would be helpful if you could provide your PSU info. Most people want to know the wattage, but knowing the amps the 12v rail can handle is pretty important to know for your graphics card. In fact, if it's some nice name brand PSU instead of one of those cheap ones that come with every prebuilt computer, you could give the product page with the specs instead.

4. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    As others have said it really depends on your psu.

The recommended minimum power supply for GeForce 9600 GT graphics cards is 400 watts with a +12V rating of 26 Amps for a single card. I'm pretty certain the 9600 requires a 6 pin pci-e power connector from your psu also. Make sure you have one. Some graphics cards come with an adaptor for this.

5. elchzard
    OP

Newcomer elchzard Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry guys,
    Unfortunately I'm not currently at the computer.

Thanks for that 6 pin info Edhel, I'll check as soon as I can.
    I'll post up more info ASAP, probably later today.

6. myuusmeow

United States
    Some boards might require a power connector but some won't. I'm using a 9800GT that didn't require one. [​IMG]

7. Elritha

Canada
    That's weird. I've come across a few 9800s that do require one. I wasn't 100% certain about the lower end 9600 boards.

8. Whipple

Member Whipple GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What is the capacity of your current power supply?
    What is the current required of your new video card?
    Is your current power supply able to provide the current required by your new card?
    (Also consider if your new video card requires any new connections to your power supply. like an additional 4-pin connection)

Generally if you have a fairly modern system with a quality power supply you will be fine.

For what it is worth, I have lost more systems due to cheap power supplies that have failed, frying everything in sight.
    A quality power supply runs cooler, lasts longer, and protects the rest of your system components.

9. myuusmeow

United States
    I think the reference design (like the designs that Nvidia do themselves) for both the 9600GT and 9800GT require the 6-pin power, but only a small handful of reference cards are still being sold. Anyway even if the one he wants requires it, if he has a good PSU he could just use a Molex-PCI-E adapter.

EG:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814162033 requires extra power
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814500134 doesn't

Also @op: make sure you have the right connector for these. Don't go out and buy a PCI-E card when you only have a AGP slot etc.

10. elchzard
    OP

Newcomer elchzard Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks guys.

It's the second, cheaper one I'm looking at. I'm on a budget and I need to spend money on RAM e.t.c as well.
    The Nvidia website has 3 9600 models on offer' GSO, GSO 512 and the GT. According to them, all three need a six pin connector.

The GT is probably the one I'll go for, listed for £50 on dabs.com

Anyway, facts and figures;
    PSU's current capacity: 230V - Crappy Prebuild model I'm afraid Wingless.
    My GPU is currently running stably.

I need some help here. The Nvidia website says:
    Maximum Graphics Card Power: 96W
    Minimum System Power Requirement: 400W.

Does that mean I need a 400W PSU to run this, or is that including the 6 pin connector which is required?

I don't know much about components... [​IMG]

Help?

Thanks again guys, I know I sound like an idiot.

11. Elritha

Canada
    That's volts and not the wattage you listed. If you open your case, you should see a sticker on the side of your psu. It should list what watt it is. Most of the time it should also list other important information. Try and look for the +12v and how much amp it can do on that rail. This is what is crucial to see if your current psu is up to the task. While you're at it you should also look and see if you have a pci-e power connector.

The fact it is a cheap prebuild model means it may be further strained by adding in more power hungry components.

12. Madridi

Member Madridi Card Collector

Qatar
    I dont mean to hijack the thread but I'm in the process in building my own computer and I have a question about the whole "rail" thing

The power supply that I bought is tx850 .. specs and outputs are in the following page
    http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx

and i'm not sure whether certain connections would interfere with each other or not .. such as the DVD drives causing the graphics to go without power

can anyone help?

13. Elritha

Canada
    That psu you linked to is more then adequate to power any modern graphics card, even more then one, as well as several hard drives/dvd drives. You shouldn't have any problems.

14. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Might as well throw this out now, but the ATI 4670 is the best card I have seen that does not need an external 6 pin connector/good psu

15. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Of course, if you want to shellout $600 for a PSU, there's always the PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200W PSU. 1.2kW @ 50 degrees C. More than enough to power whatever you would want to upgrade.
    But what am I saying, you probably wouldn't need it unless you were running a Core i7-975, dual Radeon HD 5970 video cards, a lot of hard drives/SSDs/Blu-ray burners, and heaven knows what else. Case fans.

16. Madridi

Qatar
    Yeah I know but I was wondering if its ok for future upgrades? currently going to run 5770 on it but I'm buying a 5970 or nvidia gtx 300 series when it comes out.
    and thanks for the reply

17. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    It should if you won't run crazy OC'd hardware. You should be fine. Just don't try running tri-SLI or something with 3 GTX 300 series cards.

18. Madridi

Qatar
    no of course not lol
    i7 920 overclocked to around 3.2
    2 dvd drives
    1 ssd and 2 1tb caviar black
    6 gb ram (might go to 12 in the future)
    5770 currently with 5970 in future list

so when it comes to rails and the whole wattage issue.. am i safe?

19. elchzard
    OP

Newcomer elchzard Member

United Kingdom
    OK, thanks for humoring me. Later on in my life I will look back at this and think ' I was such an idiot.' [​IMG]

I'll let my brother look at it, he's back. Thanks for all your help on this guys.

Continue your discussions class.

20. Madridi

Qatar
    sorry for hijacking the thread, just thought i would ask about a similar issue

hope things go well for you.. good luck [​IMG]