maximun burning wii backup

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Richite, Oct 19, 2008.

Oct 19, 2008

maximun burning wii backup by Richite at 8:39 PM (2,046 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Richite
    OP

Newcomer Richite Member

United States
    what is the maximun speed that i can burn a wii game for the wiigator backup loader

2. digitydogs

Member digitydogs 404 Error: Member Not Found

United States
    I burnt all of mine a 16x and havent had any problems other than the normal slow loads and vid lags. In fact out of 20 games ive backed up the one one i cant get to work is one of the wario shake titles, which no ones has had much luck with

3. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    What is the max speed your DVD burner can write and what DVDs did you use? (Brand + Highest Disc Write Speed)

4. digitydogs

United States
    burners max speed is 16x its a lite-on dual layer +- drive
    ive used HP 16x dvd-r's
    Verbatim 16x DVD+R's
    Maxell 16x dvd-r's
    and some cheapo dynex 16x dvd-r's

5. Richite
    OP

Newcomer Richite Member

United States
    i burnt the games in a friend house i think it is 8x speed

6. ozark

Newcomer ozark Member

United States
    n00b question: how does the writing speed effect the game. or does it just write the disk faster?

7. SpongeFreak52

Member SpongeFreak52 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The burn speed does not affect the game in any way, unless burning errors were made.

Basically, it's this:
    IF your disc says something like "16x", then by all means you should burn up to that speed. The discs are MEANT to be burned at that speed, errors will not regularly occur.

8. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    MOST but not all people are finding that you can burn the discs at the max speed the burner will allow.
    Its different for every burner/disc combination

Its like asking whats the biggest tyre i can put on a car .... it depends on the car and the alloys on the car so its an impossible question to answer correctly.

Its a matter of trying and see - but start slow to make sure it works , and then try the fastest and see if that works - you pretty set once u have them 2 usually.

9. WiiShizzza

Member WiiShizzza Graphics juggler

Germany
    ...also you should check your burners firmware. there might be updates available, which will enhance the compatibility...

10. Tichinde925

United States
    Major Concern:

Burning speed has absoluetly no affect whatsoever on the Wii's laser correct?

Wii's laser dying = using the worst DVD media / what else?

11. Miles

Member Miles GBAtemp Fan

United States
    22x, considering that's the fastest you can burn any DVDs.
    It really doesn't matter, but you'll have less chance at a bad burn if you burn at lower speeds.
    I suggest 4x or 2x.

12. digitydogs

United States
    The only real reason for burning at lower speeds (2x or 4x) is to prevent coasters caused by buffer underuns. When you are burning a disc, dvd's especially, your biggest problem will come from disk activity. Anything you burn to a disc has to be cached from the hard drive to the dvd drive before it can actually be burnt. When you are on youtube or running a torrent, or using any program that reads/writes to the hard drive frequently, your hard drive wont be able to supply the iso data as fast as the dvd is writing the data, thus you get buffer underruns and coasters. The data that ends up on the disc is identical regardless of burn speed. Crappy media is the biggest cause of drive failures, as inconsistancy in the layer thickness/opacity etc force the laser to constantly re read sectors to get good data. thus causing more wear on the moving parts.

So to sum it all up, make sure you arnt downloading any torrents or running any Hard Drive intense programs and burn at your drive and medias highest compatible speed and have fun.

13. Miles

Member Miles GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's always good to know what goes on under the GUI.
    Thanks.

14. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Low burn speed is a load of crap. And so is the buffer under-run arguement. Unless you're using a 4x CD-RW which has no buffer underrun protection.

Recommend speed is generally best - that way you'll get an appropriate write strategy. With really crappy media you may have to drop back a little - ie TTH02 @ 12x.

I conducted an experiment a little while back - burning a disc while thrashing an old machine. It was a 12x burn that ended up taking an hour. It's fairly well documented here -> http://forums.speedlabs.org/index.php?topic=2155.0 and gave the same write quality I'd expect from a burn with no other usage going on.

15. Tichinde925

United States
    I read that it was recommended to burn at half the speed the disc was labled for.

So instead of that, go for the maximum that the disc can perform?

If my system specs are 1.7 GHZ with 512 MB RAM, should I still go for maximum?

16. digitydogs

United States
    With a good drive and a good burning program, and a clean OS then yes you can forget about worrying over buffer underruns.
    Unfortunately in the real world there is alot of malware, crappily written programs, virals, rootkits and cheap hardware. Anyone following my advice has nothing to worry about. doing it your way can cause undue stress on the hardware (burner hard drive and processer) leading to early failure. I don't know about you but i dont like/can't afford having to replace my equipment any more than is necessary for expansion/upgrading.