Gaming Mario tennis open worth getting?

Chaostune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks very attractive, but I wonder if the game have a lot of replayability to it. I somewhat hope that the game will have as much depth as kid icarus uprising.

Should I get it?

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're fun, but get old after unlocking everything.
The addition of online is what will make it worth it if you're a Mario tennis fan.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, they seem to be focusing with online play more, like with Mario Kart 7. And as I'm sure you already know, there's no RPG mode (Not really a dealbreaker for me, as I never played the GBC game), and the character lineup seems to be quite...lackluster...

Either way, it still looks good, but in terms of replayability, online play is the strongest form of it.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Having previously played Mario Tennis you sorta know what to expect so i'll be giving this a miss myself.

As for the TC, if you haven't played a Mario Tennis before and tennis is "your thing" then yeah go purchase, as you will enjoy.

As for depth, dunno how that would apply to a tennis game apart from unlocking everything.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I never really like sports games, but the attractive art might attract me in getting this.

But NOT if Nintendo decides to charge $1.99 to unlock a character or racket via DLC.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt they'll charge to unlock something that's already in the game. Not that Microsoft and Sony haven't done that, but I hope the DLC option is actually used for extra content like expansions. and not simple/dumb stuff like charging for unlockables.
We already know Theaterythm is gonna do it but I can handle that as long as the price isn't bad.
A lot of eshop titles are already overpriced, so we'll see.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I doubt they'll charge to unlock something that's already in the game. Not that Microsoft and Sony haven't done that, but I hope the DLC option is actually used for extra content like expansions. and not simple/dumb stuff like charging for unlockables.
We already know Theaterythm is gonna do it but I can handle that as long as the price isn't bad.
A lot of eshop titles are already overpriced, so we'll see.
A lot of iOS/Android apps have in-game payments for unlockables - and I think Nintendo might do the same.

Maybe not so much since the game is already $40.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
Reviews don't look to great?
If I just take out 2 of the most popular Gaming Magazines in The Netherlands:
N-Gamer: 8,?/10 (I don't remember the exact score).
Power Unlimited: 87/100.

xxteargodxx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I would share my thoughts onthe game here for those interested.

Graphics & 3D - The graphics in this game are decent, very cute very colorful and vibrant. The tennis courts look fantastic the details on some of the tennis rackets looks great. Howver the 3D in this game is not so great..It honestly isn't very impressive to me at all and seems as if they didn't even try hard to make it worth turning the 3D on for this game.

Sound & Music - Sound effects are good your Mii actually has a voice now..That is if you consider s few grunts/shouts when hitting the tennis ball a voice. The music in this game is actually great Inxan't complain here. Definitely worth keeping your sound on for and playing with headphones on makes the experience that much better.

Gameplay - Gameplay in this game is pretty good the characters all have different types to balance each other out (tricky, all around, speedy, power and so on). There is a feature called chance shots in the game that can't be disabled to my knowledge but it's not a game breaker they aren't absolutely unstoppable although an option to disable them would be nice.

There are a few game modes I will go over below.

Single Player - from here you can play Tournament mode where you choose tonplay Singles or Doubles and then select your character and cup you wish to play in. In tournament mode you will face off against 3 AI opponents in total. You can also play exhibition matches against the AI singles or doubled as well.

Local/Online Multiplayer - You can play both local and online against other players as well. You can select to create a room and have your friends join in singles or doubles. When going online you can choose to have an open match of either quick extended or either. Quick is first to 7 wins and extended I think you play 2 sets. My online experience has been decent so far not the best it has been a bit laggy I am hoping it improves.

StreetPass - when selecting the StreetPass option you can do a few things.

StreetPass Match - You play here against other players you have StreetPassed in a 1-2 set match. If you win you get 100 coins and if you go on a win streak you get 100 more coins per win.

Ring Shot - This is a mini game you try snd hit the ball through rings in a timed fashion to earn coins. You can play this with players you meet through StreetPass.

StreetPass List - Here it just shows everyone you have met with Mario Tennis Open via StreetPass. All you can do is click on a Mii and rotate the camera to view them that's it.

Content - This game has a LOT of content to unlock! However..it's incredibly easy. You can pretty mch play on the easiest game mode keep winning and EVERY TIME you will unlock something new. I think this should have been made a bit harder to get a few unlockables.

Item Shop - Tons of items here you unlock by playing Tournament Mode. Once you unlock it you still have to earn coins to purchase them which is very tedious long and boring.

Change Outfit - Here you can view all the stuff you have unlocked and dress uo you're Mii with outfits, shoes, wristbands, tennis rackets the works.

Change Greeting - Here you can set a greeting to say to players you meet through StreetPass.

Records - Here you can view you're records for single player, local and online multiplayer and StreetPass.

Special Games - Here is where you play these Special Games for coins to use to buy stuff you have unlocked in the shop.

Ring Shot - Here you hit a tennis ball through rings in a timed fashion playing with an AI. There are a few different difficulty settings to unlock and play and can reward you with some hidden characters and costumes.

Super Mario Tennis - It is what it says it is you start a game of Super Mario Brothers and hit the ball to gather coins kill goombas and to slide the flag pole! Earn enough coins and you may find yourself unlocking some hidden content here.

Galaxy Rally - this game you play on a tennis court where you must hit pieces of a star to build a complete star on the court you can hit to earn yourself some coins. But be careful cause the longer you play this the more floor tiles disappear and the harder it gets. Get a lon enough hit string going and you will find yourself getting some hidden content.

Ink Showdown -In this game you will be on a tennis court faced with 3 ink shooting pirahna plants shooting ink balls at you and if you dont hit the ink ball they spit at you your screen will be covered with ink temporarily. You will also be faced against an AI don't hit the ball towards them cause if they hit it back you lose a ball/life. Keep up a long enough uit streak to unlock nee content and harder difficulties.

All in all Mario Tennis Open is a fun game but it does have it's flaws. The 3D is bare bones. Items are too easy to unlock, coins are boring and tedious to grind for. Online is laggy and doesn't offer many game modes. Gyro Controls are horrible in this game turn them off quickly. Also believe it or not but you can't even pause the game while the tennis ball is in play what genius developer thought of that idea? Thank God for the home button!

Verdict - I say hold off on this game until the price drops. This game is just another of the many Mario title cash ins that Nintendo knows they will make money off of no matter what because people buy Mario out the wazoo period.

Wait until this game drops to $19.99 or buy it used or during a buy 1 get 1 free sale.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi