Homebrew Discussion Mario Sunshine shown running via emulation on Switch

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know much about the OS. I wonder why Vulkan would be limited to Linux. Maybe it could be ported to Horizon OS ?! Is it making use of Linux Kernel or something?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Vulkan officially supports Linux. And it's not limited to Linux, works on Windows, Android, Mac OS, iOS... It's just harder to make it works on something that is not opened for devs like Horizon.

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: rsn8887

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I would love to try this but I don’t trust Linux on Switch honestly.

What if Linux doesn’t turn on the fan correctly when the GPU gets hot, or decides to corrupt my internal filesystem or whatever.

I guess my question is, is this 100% safe to run?

Also... no sound I guess? How is sound _still_ a problem on Linux after all these years? :) I remember in 1999 I couldn’t get sound to work on my Linux box either.

Last edited by rsn8887,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What if Linux doesn’t turn on the fan correctly when the GPU gets hot, or decides to corrupt my internal filesystem or whatever.

I guess my question is, is this 100% safe to run?

Also... no sound I guess? How is sound _still_ a problem on Linux after all these years? :) I remember in 1999 I couldn’t get sound to work on my Linux box either.

1. It's like doubting drivers of your GPU in PC that fans won't turn on. Linux is not some kind of garbage, you know? And bylaws is using official drivers from nvidia.
2. It can be done that eMMC will be read-only from the start if you want.
3. Sound is working... That's why creating this topic is ridiculous, because author is posting every info here
https://gbatemp.net/threads/android...discussion-thread.495027/page-17#post-8558690

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
1. It's like doubting drivers of your GPU in PC that fans won't turn on. Linux is not some kind of garbage, you know? And he is using official drivers from nvidia.
2. It can be done that eMMC will be read-only from the start if you want.
3. Sound is working... That's why creating this topic is ridiculous, because author is posting every info here
https://gbatemp.net/threads/android...discussion-thread.495027/page-17#post-8558690

Perfect, I wasn’t aware of latest developments with the Linux stuff on Switch, that’s why I asked. The OP video didn’t have sound in Mario Sunshine at least I didn’t hear it.

Edit: if sound is working why would you record the video of sunshine with no sound doesn’t make sense to me.

Last edited by rsn8887,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Because he posted video from a monitor, if I can guess. :P

Cool I guess I should ask here: since this stuff is free did someone bother to make a pre-configured Ubuntu sd card archive with boot loader etc. so I could just boot and play around?

PS: yes what’s wrong with doubting Linux drivers? Looking at lkml drivers are far from being as stable as those on Windows. There were lots of problems with Linux on PS4 not turning on fans...

Last edited by rsn8887,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Cool I guess I should ask here: since this stuff is free did someone bother to make a pre-configured Ubuntu sd card archive with boot loader etc. so I could just boot and play around?
No that you want to deal with. :P bylaws is working on kernel to be ready for android and when it's ready, he will share l4t ubuntu.

linux-switch is a PoC. It's only for showing that is possible to do that, but it's in worse state than Lakka.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ubuntu-18-04-on-a-switch.502147/

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
for me honestly, this is not prove enough.

ok it can run decently, but sunshine is not the most demanding game and either the footage thats been shown is in a demanding scene.

it can be ok, but i doubt it will be great.

Socke81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Always this overstatement.

- No Sound
- Only a small part of a single game is shown in which there are zero details

I wouldn't overestimate it. You shouldn't expect too much and wait and see how it looks in reality.

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always this overstatement.

- No Sound
- Only a small part of a single game is shown in which there are zero details

I wouldn't overestimate it. You shouldn't expect too much and wait and see how it looks in reality.
Why do people keep saying there's no sound?! It's been stated multiple times in this very thread that sound is working. But if that's not good enough, check the actual thread where the developer posts updates (including sound working) nearly daily. https://gbatemp.net/threads/android...discussion-thread.495027/page-17#post-8558690

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
please dont kill me XD
of course i have read about it, but i didnt knew that there was a work about ubuntu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1