Mario side scrollers overrated?

Do you think that mario side scrollers are overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Never played one

• Total voters

ore0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I voted yes by accident
sad.gif

I personally think they're fantabuliscious
smileipb2.png

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Depravo said:
Where have you acquired this bizarre notion that 2D side-scrolling games are 'bad' and their 3D counterparts are automatically better? Not by using real games as evidence, that's for sure.

Yeah, because Bubsy 3D was AWESOME amirite? XD

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
Depravo said:
Where have you acquired this bizarre notion that 2D side-scrolling games are 'bad' and their 3D counterparts are automatically better? Not by using real games as evidence, that's for sure.

Yeah, because Bubsy 3D was AWESOME amirite? XD

Not the best example, though...the original 2D bubsy's were...not so grand...in particular the second

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Games usually don't get old for me, its just this exact type (goomba stomping side scroller). Other platformers, like say Rayman (first one) usually have more controls, like punching and flying. But in mario, all his abilities revolve around his ability to jump. And i love 2d games just as much as 3d games, but if your going up to the point of adding 3d elements in a 2d game, might as well make it 3d. I also think Nintendo is pushing it a little bit, by just recycling a 25 year old game, just as i imagine they will again in maybe 10 years.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
Games usually don't get old for me, its just this exact type (goomba stomping side scroller). Other platformers, like say Rayman (first one) usually have more controls, like punching and flying. But in mario, all his abilities revolve around his ability to jump. And i love 2d games just as much as 3d games, but if your going up to the point of adding 3d elements in a 2d game, might as well make it 3d. I also think Nintendo is pushing it a little bit, by just recycling a 25 year old game, just as i imagine they will again in maybe 10 years.

So...shooting fireballs, ice balls, flying, throwing, sliding, yoshi-nomming, etc. are all related to jumping? Heh, coulda fooled me
smile.gif

I don't think that NSMBW actually had any 3D elements, other than that its models are rendered in 3D...and that's commonplace is many 2D games now-a-days.

And they're not recycling a 25 year old game. They made a brand new game featuring new power-ups, many new levels, new graphics, multiplayer, replayability (those big coins), and yeah...

How long did you play it, exactly?

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Almost all of his powers are activated by jumping (in the older games at least)

When I said the things about 3d models, i had brawl in mind, but still, something like the Mario game they released where you can go from 2d to 3d (i completely forgot the name of the game) would be a good implementation of 3d models (but they already used that...)

I played for a while, not too much, but through my eyes, i just saw the original Mario with a few twists.

monkat

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
Almost all of his powers are activated by jumping (in the older games at least)

When I said the things about 3d models, i had brawl in mind, but still, something like the Mario game they released where you can go from 2d to 3d (i completely forgot the name of the game) would be a good implementation of 3d models (but they already used that...)

I played for a while, not too much, but through my eyes, i just saw the original Mario with a few twists.

Ok...1. It's Super Paper Mario....and that would defeat the purpose of making a new 2d Mario platformer...it would be Super Paper Mario...That's like saying that Sonic The Hedgehog 4 should add even more twists because it's just a twist on an old game...same goes for every sequel actually.

2. It is the original Mario with a few twists. That's the point

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, Nintendo knew what they were doing when they released the first Super Mario Bros. and they only built it up from there.
The new ones are great and I love them, but the old ones are still fun to this day no matter how many times you save the princess.

The most overrated game genre I know would have to be the FPS. When was the last time an FPS revolutionized the way we play games...
inb4graphicwhoretirade.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I think that they're overrated. I got bored of NSMB after a while. Can't say the same for the older GB/GBA versions though, I was really young at that time, so almost anything interested me, so I had fun with them. But for the more recent sidescrollers I find them overrated... Just look at NSMB Wii... ZOMGNEWMARIOWTFWTFLOLOLOLOLOLFUNFUNDOWNLOADDOWNLOADPIRATEPIRATE... I agree it looks fun, but I swear, it isn't worth all the fuss.

PyroSpark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
I keep hearing people saying that mario side scrollers (clasic game style) are among of the best kind of games. I find that they are kind of overrated and i actualy don't like them that much, do you?

This, pretty much.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many times people find the oldies like SMB, SMW, whatever, too be a little too old for them, and that's understandable. Even I'm not too fond of SMB 1-3 (although I do really like SMW). It's just past my age. But really they established a lot in the gaming industry and helped establish Mario not only as the most successful video game character of all time, but one of the most successful characters ever.

I don't think they're overrated. People often say things are "overrated" just to stand out of the crowd. I mean, I think there's better platforming games nowadays, but that's because I have my own likes and in the age I've grown up in, games have become a lot more advanced than just hopping and bopping.

These overrated threads are annoying.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When i say overrated, i mean people give it more credit then it deserves (in my opinion) and that people say that it is better then it really is. I posted this question out of curiosity, since most of the people i know think that this is one of the best games ever, I wanted to see if anyone else shares my opinion.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
When i say overrated, i mean people give it more credit then it deserves (in my opinion) and that people say that it is better then it really is. I posted this question out of curiosity, since most of the people i know think that this is one of the best games ever, I wanted to see if anyone else shares my opinion.
The term overrated itself is a retarded one actually, as is the word fanboy. Both are stupid terms to shove your opinion in other people's faces. A game being good or bad is subjective, and cannot be judged based on whether it is worthy of praise. I think more than enough people adore Mario sidescrollers to show that there's something to them that is deserving of praise.

I personally don't like Grand Theft Auto. However, i'm not about to go around telling everyone it's overrated. Overrated is a broad term that attempts to invalidate the opinions of others. It's not like saying you dislike something, which is really what it is when you use overrated. You just don't like the game, it doesn't mean it's liked too much or rated too highly. If so many people adore a game and you don't, you just have to realize that it's just you, your problem. You can't accuse people of liking a game too much just because YOU don't. It isn't fair to do that, and i find it really immature that someone can't just like and dislike what they want without bothering other people about their opinion on a game. Lets face it, if someone likes or dislikes a game, it's not going to affect YOUR view about the game, unless you're some kind of a sheep who can't think for yourself.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The point of my post isn't to shove my opinion in other people's faces, its just to see what others think about about the mario platformers. So when i asked if you think that they are overrated, i more or less want to know if you like the game, and if you don't, what you think about the hype it gets.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think they're great too. and as far as rayman 1 goes, i liked it even more than the mario games up to that point. i despised every non sidescrolling sequel. :/ btw holy crap @ Amazon's Rayman listing - $2 used, $105.50 new from their authorized reseller? ugh

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
No. The Mario sidescrollers gave birth to the genre. And they're great in their own right. If you don't like them, just remember that you might not like your parents, but if not for them, YOU wouldn't exist. Same sorta thing here. Sorta...

I really couldnt have said it better myself.
ditto.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse