Mario side scrollers overrated?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by metamaster, Jun 10, 2010.

?

Do you think that mario side scrollers are overrated?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never played one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jun 10, 2010
  1. metamaster
    OP

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I keep hearing people saying that mario side scrollers (clasic game style) are among of the best kind of games. I find that they are kind of overrated and i actualy don't like them that much, do you?

2. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    nah, i love side scrollers.

3. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    You... DO know that a Mario side scroller actually revived the WHOLE gaming industry? I think it deserves a little credit.

4. metamaster
    OP

Canada
    I know but still, a new "refined" version of the side scroller came out in 2009, the industry is alive and well by now...

5. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No. The Mario sidescrollers gave birth to the genre. And they're great in their own right. If you don't like them, just remember that you might not like your parents, but if not for them, YOU wouldn't exist. Same sorta thing here. Sorta...

6. metamaster
    OP

Canada
    I know that its because of them that practically the whole industry exists, I'm just saying out with the old and in with the new (this doesn't mean that i don't like my parents lol)

7. psd

Newcomer psd Member

Netherlands
    it also differ a lot per person to ask. But bare in mind that for many people thoose mario platformers are like classics of the past with fond memorys and lots of hours playtime in it. Its pretty much nostalgic. And also the sales of new super mario bros for wii and ds do show that many people still like it and probally for many people also a refreshment of something long waiting/hoping for.

Afterall it is nowadays all like 3d games with on foreground the first person shooters. To me thoose all look the same and with only a small difference in view and weapons. But the same can be said for side scrollers thoose who more like first person shooters will say o wow you can do a wall jump no and grab an extra powerup. Its just all a matter of taste.

For me thoose classic mario games just remember me on how much time i spend on playing it and give it just that extra.

Look for example 10 years further when maybe the whole fps got replaced by something new. The new audience will then also look back and wonder how people could get so hyped about doom, duke nukem, quake and so on. And when for example then a new fps gets released the audience that now like the fps will all feel the same probally.

8. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I'm not a big fan of side-scrollers but I do like Mario ones.

9. moosh1989

Newcomer moosh1989 Member

United Kingdom
    over-rated mario game hmmm??? id probably go with yoshis island i just cant get into its keeping baby mario seems like a chore to me [​IMG]

10. metamaster
    OP

Canada
    I have nothing against mario games in general (mario galaxy was great) i just really dislike the side scrollers, they are a bit too.... Repetitive

11. moosh1989

Newcomer moosh1989 Member

United Kingdom

yeah true but why fix whats not broken

12. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    Nah; I've always liked the side scrollers, including the newer ones.

13. Rogue Trader

Member Rogue Trader GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Side scrolling games are awesome, but each to his own I suppose.

I hate racing games (except Mashed), and sports games (except none, well, actually, Mario Tennis was pretty fun), and I have friends who hate FPS or fighting games.

It's just personal preference. As far as side scrolling goes, I think the Mario series do it the best.

14. Xoo00o0o0o

Member Xoo00o0o0o Xoo00o0o0o is in the house

United States
    Love Mario side scrollers of GTFO.
    JK I don't care what you like.
    In my opinion there great.

15. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

I really couldnt have said it better myself.

16. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Why can't we have in with the new and in with the old?

We have had at least one 3D Mario game on every home console since the N64, each of which was great and different in it's own way.

This is the first 2D Mario game that has been around on a home console in a long time, and sure, it's a quick cash-in, but it's fun, pretty, and (although very easy to control) difficult.

You think NSMBW is repetitive? Is that because of the control scheme, run, jump, and shoot/fly/whatever? I sure hope so, because the level designs were all varied and unique

17. metamaster
    OP

Canada
    Yes I'm talking about the control scheme, and more the concept of running around and stomping people.
    I admit that the levels are varied, but if Nintendo would put so much effort to revive a "dead" (sort of) game, they might as well make a newer, better game especially since they use 3d models for a 2d game (i never got why companies do that)

18. bmaster154

Newcomer bmaster154 Advanced Member

Canada
    Nah, I really love those games. They're some of the first games I have ever played, and what really got me into video games in the first place. Sure, I would have started playing one day or another, but even now, I can play one of those old side scrollers and have fun. It's just your opinion, really. Not a lot of people dislike Mario side scrollers (or Mario games, in general), but it's just a rarer opinion. My friend hates chocolate, contrary to most of my other friends.

19. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Ok...so all games must be pretty old for you :-/ that sucks...

FPS's are just running around and shooting people
    RPGs are just running around and killing things in (admittedly) more various, yet tedious ways
    RTSs are just telling people to run around and kill things
    Puzzle Games are....it depends, so I'll go with tetris, just twisting blocks
    Racing games are just ... racing xD
    Fighting games are just fighting
    etc.

I mean, even with platformers, the basic concept is to run around and (sometimes depending on the game) kill things. Maybe you add something like, say, collect rings or coins, numerous bosses, power-ups, and multiplayer (even if it is kinda broken), but that's all platforming games really are - running and jumping.

Also, they used 3D models for the game for multiple reasons. First, they already had it done from Galaxy 1, so it was cheap and easy, and reduced development time, of course (good for us). Second, it looks pretty. Or are you just against 2D games in general? 2D rocks! No funky camera issues, less of a powerhouse (great for Wii) needed to look amazing (Muramasa, anyone?), Less complicated controls (goes along with camera issues), etc. But really, it's kind of moot to debate over whether 3D games or 2D games are better - each person has their own preference, and just about everyone enjoys both.

Oh, and as for making a 'newer, better game', Galaxy 2 was just released [​IMG]

20. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Where have you acquired this bizarre notion that 2D side-scrolling games are 'bad' and their 3D counterparts are automatically better? Not by using real games as evidence, that's for sure.