Mario Kart Wii - Help with finding minimum speed required to drift in code

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Devious, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Devious
    OP

Devious Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2019
    United States
    Hello! I've been getting into Mario Kart Wii modding as of recent, and the Custom Mario Kart Wiki has helped me learn a great deal about the inner workings of the game.
    However, I can't seem to find out how to change the minimum speed requirements for drifting (in order to drift, your character has to reach x% of their max speed).
    Does anyone know where in the Mario Kart Wii files this is located? I suspect it's somewhere in Race/Common.szs or Static.rel, but I've found nothing on the wiki.
    I hope someone here still actively works with modding MKWii....
    Thank you!

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like a nice beginner hacking project.

I imagine drifting is a state within the game (think like poisoned in an RPG) and thus denoted somewhere as such.

Find that status flag and go from there (probably set a watch on write) and then play with whatever routine sets it.

You say you are looking at files and from where I sit unless each character has different drift values/percentages then it is more likely to be baked into the game's code. Also are you sure it is a percentage of speed and not a set speed? Should be easy enough to tell with a video of play but I am just theorising here.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted