Mario Kart 7 Patch is up!

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm... so is the patch killing off flashcarts, or is it the update?
Neither, flashcarts work fine.

If you weren't updated before with the 4/25 update, then flashcarts will be broken.

edit: Only the 4/25 update changed anything for flashcart users. The update that happened yesterday (or the day before) and the MK7 patch did nothing to prevent flashcarts.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they finally showed it was possible. Just tried one of the affected maps online, a bunch of people still tried to use it. I laughed. Now then, Nintendo...now that you've shown you can make patches...how about letting us give you our money so we can have more courses? :D

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
So the patch is saved on the SD card, if you don't have it inserted then you can't play online. :/
like every single patch in existence...
But you're missing the point. We're not patching games installed on a hard drive where you can overwrite stuff, we're patching games on a READ-ONLY MEDIA. and on a handheld too.
sd card isn't read only memory tho?????????

How do you think you patch console games, it's just the same :rolleyes:
well don't consoles have HDD and require installation?

or maybe i'm just not familiar with consoles in general. but it is relatively new for handhelds.

I doubt they do that. They probably just have it load certain replacement files from the SD card if found, similar to Riivolution but the replacement files are signed/encrypted.
well of course they replace files around. they need to if they want an accurate remapping of the out-of-bound areas (to block the glitch shortcuts). when i mentioned cheat devices, i meant how they changed data while in memory, not just inserting hex codes somewhere. the firmware's OS is probably acting like a proper hypervisor now. when it loads the game, it checks for patches, and takes note of them. every time the game requests for something a patch is supposed to fix, the OS loads that part from the cartridge and then loads the fixes from the SD card before feeding the modified assets to the game engine.

or at least, that's my idea of it. if the game engine requests for asset A (which is glitched), the OS intercepts that request and swaps the glitched asset A with the one from the patch on the SD card. but the OS has to know which assets to look out for, and it knows by checking the patches it currently has on the SD card. then, when the related cartridge is loaded, the OS knows it has a patch and swaps data back and forth between them.

I was referring to the part that said "the firmware now patches the game on-the-fly, while in memory, instead of messing with the game files itself." That implies something similar to dynamic IPS patching rather than just loading full replacement files from the SD card like Riivolution does (or did, if they added xdelta style differential patching recently). It could be done that way but it would slow things down to patch the files from the cart in memory on the fly rather than just load already patched replacements from the SD card and ignore the originals on the cart completely.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
the update is only 45 blocks. thats nothing.
also SOME save data is saved to card. their are two formats of 3ds crt cards for us to purchase. one with writeable memory included and one with read only. the read only has only game data. the read only plus writeable memory costs a lot more per unit.
most save data is stored on your SD card for nearly everything anyway. it is called extra data on crt.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the update is only 45 blocks. thats nothing.
also SOME save data is saved to card. their are two formats of 3ds crt cards for us to purchase. one with writeable memory included and one with read only. the read only has only game data. the read only plus writeable memory costs a lot more per unit.
most save data is stored on your SD card for nearly everything anyway. it is called extra data on crt.

As shown by the save dongle, retail game saves are stored on the cart. Its possible to store them on the SD, but in reality this is only done for street pass data and eshop games.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This took quite awhile, but hey, at least it's out. A good stride forward for Nintendo, even if it's only taking baby steps for now.

weedian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To people not knowing about what the patch affects, you nearly need only to read through the download consent blurb before the download. It clearly states what the patch does and does not effect.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I was referring to the part that said "the firmware now patches the game on-the-fly, while in memory, instead of messing with the game files itself." That implies something similar to dynamic IPS patching rather than just loading full replacement files from the SD card like Riivolution does (or did, if they added xdelta style differential patching recently). It could be done that way but it would slow things down to patch the files from the cart in memory on the fly rather than just load already patched replacements from the SD card and ignore the originals on the cart completely.
well, it's not like they're changing huge amounts of assets, just tiny fixes here and there. they're just re-arranging invisible walls perhaps, to block off parts you're not supposed to get to. but yes, i suppose as the assets they want to change get complex, it would slow things down, but not significantly.

but yes, you might be right about swapping assets off of the SD card. it seems more straightforward.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn