Making a DNS server to block updates

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by IbbyPlays, Feb 6, 2015.

1. IbbyPlays
    OP

IbbyPlays GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    I have a crappy router and can't block updates using my firewall. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on making a free DNS server using my mac to prevent my Wii U from updating?

2. secto15

secto15 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2013
    United States
  3. IbbyPlays
    OP

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    This sounds great, what type of account do I make? Parental controls or enhanced dns.

4. secto15

secto15 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2013
    United States

any would do

5. Onion_Knight

Onion_Knight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2014
    you have a mac, therefore you have the ability to make your own dns server.

6. IbbyPlays
    OP

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    I found the way to add a DNS server to my mac, but I can't figure out how to use my mac as a DNS server that blocks updates. Do you know how?

7. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    im sure google must be able to help out seeing as its probable a popular thing to do with macs?

8. Ninja_Carver

Ninja_Carver GBAtemp Fan

Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    I'm very proficient in DNS, its my day job (for a State Gov't). If someone wants to spin up a free EC2 instance in Amazon AWS, I'd happily configure it to block whtaever you like. its literally free for 1 year. I've already used my credit card for it once so I'm not an option.

9. Ninja_Carver

Ninja_Carver GBAtemp Fan

Dec 27, 2012
    United States
  10. iQue

iQue GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    What kind of Mac do you have? ...there's several ways, you can get this setup just using your Mac with very little effort.

For example install Glimmer and enable proxy, add the site urls you want to block to your custom sites list on Glimmer. Add your IP of your Mac and port (default 8228) on your Wii U, under the proxy settings option.

Another way is to setup Internet connection sharing, if you don't use wireless connection and have it shared with your wired connection. Then put any unwanted domains in your HOSTS file routing back to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0. Just make sure your Wii U connects direct to your ICS on your Mac.