Make volume knob affect media player only

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Lanlan, Nov 15, 2012.

Nov 15, 2012
  1. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    My keyboard has various media buttons on it, including a volume knob. The knob controls the base volume of windows, the little volume slider in the corner. Is there a way I could make it control the volume of Media Player and/or Spotify without turning everything else down? I like to game with music but I find it hard to find a good volume where i can hear the music well and still hear the game.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    As you are thinking of tackling the problem it might be harder and maybe even near impossible without serious effort. I don't use spotify or straight windows media player (all about media player classic for me) but many programs like that will allow a measure of remapping their shortcuts instead. If they do not then perhaps something like http://www.autohotkey.com/ will do it instead.

The proper audiophile crowd would probably crucify me for saying as such but I probably should also point out that often audio programs have a normalise command or an "album level audio" option which you can apply across a library- this will change the volume of all tracks to output the same and probably mean you only have to set the volume once.

Crazy alternative option- get a media playing device and wire it in through the line in of your computer.

3. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    The bottom is an option but not really a solution to his question.
    But, like you said, I don't think there's an easy way to do this. He would probably have to program something to do it.