Hacking Make Homebrew untraceble?

Oby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might be sending my Wii in for repair. Will using the Hackmii installer to uninstall Bootmii (IOS) and HBC be enough? That's all I have on my Wii along with Priiloader which I just removed because when I shut the Wii down it kept sending a signal to the TV.

I also had a couple cIOSs a few years ago when I went through the trouble of putting all my games on a HDD only for it to end up breaking so I've just been using my discs. All of this is gone, I removed it all with Bushing's Any Title Remover long ago.

I think that's about all I've done to my Wii, so would any of that still be traceable somehow? I dont want to go through the trouble of sending my Wii in just to have it sent back to me (If they take my out-of-warranty Wii to begin with).

oh and I've also had it opened up and flashed back to life after I had don guf'd a few years ago trying to patch an IOS.

Would they notice it's been opened? ._.

My Wii's disc drive started making weird noises and gave me an error. Now it refuses to play any of my Wii games. GC games work fine though.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While they most likely won't notice the homebrew if you removed all the obvious stuff, I think they can tell if it has been opened by looking at the stickers or something.

Oby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While they most likely won't notice the homebrew if you removed all the obvious stuff, I think they can tell if it has been opened by looking at the stickers or something.

Stickers? You mean like the ones that hide the screws?
Maybe I should clean them up a bit, or use a sharpie and make it look like I took them off to clean them... LOL

I just hope there's not a missing screw or that its dirty inside the Wii. When I got it back from the person it was a bit dirty in all the corners. Have no idea about the inside but if there's something and they refuse to fix it oh well.

Something I wanted to add is that I did a System Transfer and then used a BootMii backup I made right before the transfer to get everything back to how it was (I mainly transferred to get my Wii Shop purchases over to a safer place). Wouldnt that be a bit fishy? I dont think they'd notice that but still.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Stickers? You mean like the ones that hide the screws?
Maybe I should clean them up a bit, or use a sharpie and make it look like I took them off to clean them... LOL

I just hope there's not a missing screw or that its dirty inside the Wii. When I got it back from the person it was a bit dirty in all the corners. Have no idea about the inside but if there's something and they refuse to fix it oh well.

Something I wanted to add is that I did a System Transfer and then used a BootMii backup I made right before the transfer to get everything back to how it was (I mainly transferred to get my Wii Shop purchases over to a safer place). Wouldnt that be a bit fishy? I dont think they'd notice that but still.
The problem with that is that it renders your installed games illegal because they are no longer registered in the Wii Shop. I'm not sure if they check for that, but it could be.

Oby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with that is that it renders your installed games illegal because they are no longer registered in the Wii Shop. I'm not sure if they check for that, but it could be.

Yeah I wont leave it like that if they let me send it in, I'll go in the Wii Shop and let it delete all of that itself. Maybe format the system after that too... (I'd do another bootmii backup before any of this, of course).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even if you remove ALL the homebrew, fake signed channels, patched IOS, revirginize the Wii, etc. like if it never had been hacked, Nintendo can still detect it because hacking the console leaves a trace on the NAND.

The only way is to create a new clean NAND with Giantpune's application which I can never remember the name (something like Schwarzenegger !), use your keys and restore that clean NAND.

Oby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you remove ALL the homebrew, fake signed channels, patched IOS, revirginize the Wii, etc. like if it never had been hacked, Nintendo can still detect it because hacking the console leaves a trace on the NAND.

The only way is to create a new clean NAND with Giantpune's application which I can never remember the name (something like Schwarzenegger !), use your keys and restore that clean NAND.
What are the chances of a brick? Because my Wii can only have Bootmii as an IOS

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
is it really worth it? how much does the repair cost when it's out of warranty?

The brick risk is important if you don't know what you are doing, and without boot2 you can't recover it.

I think the only thing they do if they detect homebrew is charging more for the repair, and the Wii is considered out of warranty (which is already the case).
If you are ready to send it to repair by flashing it anew and loosing everything on it, buying a new one (even a used one) won't be easier and less risky? I guess it depends how much the cost of the repair/repair+charge/new Wii will be.

Oby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it really worth it? how much does the repair cost when it's out of warranty?

The brick risk is important if you don't know what you are doing, and without boot2 you can't recover it.

I think the only thing they do if they detect homebrew is charging more for the repair, and the Wii is considered out of warranty (which is already the case).
If you are ready to send it to repair by flashing it anew and loosing everything on it, buying a new one (even a used one) won't be easier and less risky? I guess it depends how much the cost of the repair/repair+charge/new Wii will be.

The repair costs $90, however I intent on calling them anyways because some have said they sometimes fix this type of issue free of charge. Cant hurt to try, right?
If they dont take it I'm not paying the $90, that's too much. I'll just take it to a local repair place, or maybe I could change the laser myself with one I have from my older busted down Wii (which can have bootmii on boot2).

Reason I dont fix get the old one fixed instead is because it's very badly broken, the drive mechanism, the power button fell off the board, lots of plastic broken/ missing, etc. Would cost a lot more than simply getting the laser fixed on the newer one.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
how can a console be so badly physically treated? D:
poor Wii

You can try to call them, if it's free them you can try it. (it WAS free when it was a problem with the lens not well calibrated for Dual Layer, as it was a problematic batch from the start. I don't know if all lens repairs are free)

I think that if they detect that you hacked it, they first call you to ask if you are willing to pay more, if not they will not fix it. So you have nothing to loose either.

If they don't do it, then you can try a local repair shop.

Oby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how can a console be so badly physically treated? D:
poor Wii

You can try to call them, if it's free them you can try it. (it WAS free when it was a problem with the lens not well calibrated for Dual Layer, as it was a problematic batch from the start. I don't know if all lens repairs are free)

I think that if they detect that you hacked it, they first call you to ask if you are willing to pay more, if not they will not fix it. So you have nothing to loose either.

If they don't do it, then you can try a local repair shop.

Well it was worth the shot, they're repairing it. Is there some app I could run to scan the Wii?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
to scan it, you would have to reinstall HBC. you can run syscheck to see if you still have some cIOS installed. in which case you can delete them, then run an update to replace/reinstall IOS with stub.
delete hacked/exploit saves in cases you have some.
You can use Hackmii Installer to uninstall HBC (I don't know if it's proper than deleting the channel from the channel menu. It should delete the ticket, while the official menu doesn't)

I don't know what other things you could check and fix.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why spend all that money. a messing with all this head aches.
just use a usb loader. or find a juked wii.( craigslist, ebay or even amazon.) an replace the dvd drive your self.
these things (dvd drives). a dime a dozen. even the broken wii's. i have four of them. 10-15$ for either is a lot cheaper the 50-100$ to ship the nintendos charge for fixing it.

Oby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why spend all that money. a messing with all this head aches.
just use a usb loader. or find a juked wii.( craigslist, ebay or even amazon.) an replace the dvd drive your self.
these things (dvd drives). a dime a dozen. even the broken wii's. i have four of them. 10-15$ for either is a lot cheaper the 50-100$ to ship the nintendos charge for fixing it.

Nintendo isn't charging me anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol