Make custom smash bros Updates cia's?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by xdarkmario, Apr 1, 2016.

1. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    i was reading somewhere, some guy knows how to make custom smash bros updates.cia and is using it to replace songs an add mods in a way easier way. do anyone know how he did that?

2. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

Oct 27, 2014
    United States
    I am probably wrong but he could of just edited an update cia after extracting it. He would have needed to change some things like the id so that the 3ds knows it is a new update.. Then he compiled it back to a cia (I don't know if that is possible though).

Last edited by GoldenBullet, Apr 1, 2016
  3. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    That's just it I have been wanting to know how to edit/decompile & recompile CIA files since forever. How do I do that?

4. Baggy Scraggy

Baggy Scraggy GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    Are you asking to know how to edit and recompile an update or just a basic CIA? I'm the person on "that cia site" that you're referring to.

xdarkmario likes this.
  5. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Nice! Yea I'd like to know how to edit the update CIA to replace Content on.

6. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    *bump*

7. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    dogged again .....

8. Dennis G

Dennis G GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    i realllly would like to know too, i got an update file that contains all of star sapphire's mods that even patches sky3ds original alpha sapphire, i really want to know how that update is made

9. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Yea but no where tells you how they do it. No tutorials anywhere. I don't even understand it because a CIA is a final encrypted version of game Content. And even though we can make them we do t know the layout of a CIA

10. Jesus Sarmiento

Jesus Sarmiento Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I have a custom smash 1.1.4 update .cia file that a friend installed for me when he installed A9LH for me. I also got a custom smash music .cia as well.

11. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    lovely...
    but unless someone knows how to actually do this all we can do is sit in the corner and keep compiling the entire game to add 1 thing -__-

12. Ordim3n

Ordim3n GBAtemp Fan

Dec 14, 2015
    Canada
    Planet earth
    For customising smash you can follow this tutorial but for SaltySD, you will need to make it yourself or you can find it on That iso site because the Secret file is a 1.1.4 modified update not a 1.1.5. For extracting decrypted cia files follow this tutorial