Major PSP Blues

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by saxamo, Sep 14, 2009.

Sep 14, 2009

Major PSP Blues by saxamo at 7:29 AM (1,056 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. saxamo
    OP

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    Okay here goes...

I have a PSP 1001 A cousin lent to me. I proceeded to chickhen that shit and get some M33 running. All was well for a few days until It bricked on me. I wasn't doing anything to the internal flash, I had just been playing Parappa the rappa and I turn it off. A few hours later, I turn it back on and am greeted with a green power light, and nothing else. The backlight does not come on, nor do I get any sound. Just a green power light.

Now the kicker is that from what I've seen on youtube, most bricked PSP's will shut down on their own after a little while. Mine doesn't do that. It will stay on until you take the battery out.

So...I order a pandora battery and proceed to try out Rain's Ultralite on my 8gb pro duo memory stick. It wouldn't work on my card. I tried formatting it with the GUI but it couldn't inject the IPL. Even after downloading from different sources and trying on different computers.

I then try the manual way through the command line and the latest Despertar del Cementerio. Following the guide stickied here Formats fine, IPL injects OK yadda yadda. When I insert it into the PSP and then put the pandora battery in, all three lights come on (green power light, wifi light and memory card access light) and still a blank screen with no backlight. Even if i hold down L trigger, it's the same deal.

What would cause a PSP to pretty much randomly brick and NOT shut off automatically?
    Am I using too large of a pro duo card (8gb official sony mark II) or could the card be faulty in any way? I may try again tomorrow with a 4gb card if I can get my hands on one.
    Do I charge up the pandora battery before using it? Should my PSP be plugged in during this whole ordeal?

Am I doing ANYTHING else wrong here? Does this story sound familiar to anyone? Help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    have you tried the R button while powering your PSP?

3. saxamo
    OP

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    Yes i've tried L R up down left right etc.. everything known to man.

Update:

So I got my hands on a 4gb pro duo and I was able to use Rain's ultralite to make it into a magic memory stick. Formatted and IPL injected OK. I put it in my PSP, put the pandora in while holding L (as dictated in the config file) and the green power light comes on for a few seconds and then shuts off. If i put in the pandora without holding L the green power light just stays on forever until i take the battery out.

In SUMMARY:
    8gb Magic memory stick made with the command line: Makes all three LED's (power, memory card, wifi) light up, and nothing on screen.

4gb magic memory stick made with Rain's Ultralite: While Holding L, Green power LED comes on for a few seconds and then turns off. Otherwise not holding L, green LED comes on and stays on forever.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? What LED lights are supposed to come on when loading Despertar del Cementerio?

I'm at my wits end here! I feel as if this thing is perma bricked!

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Sounds like it could be a hardware issue if you've made the MMS correctly using two different methods and on a 4Gb stick. I'd advise you to test the Pandora/MMS combo in another PSP to check it is working and then if it doesn't work on yours you'll know your PSP is dead.

5. Magimog

Newcomer Magimog Member

United States
    Most of the time a black screen (w/ backlight) will indicate a FUBAR'd flash0. A black screen without a backlight indicated hardware failure.

All the lights are supposed to kick on during the boot process when the battery is in. Your problem lies much deeper than that. I'm thinking you have an irrecoverable brick man. [​IMG]

edit: nevermind on the Phat issue.

6. SFenton

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    ChickHEN actually came out first for our friend Phatty.

7. saxamo
    OP

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    Thanks for the input all, even if it was to extend your condolences, it's very appreciated. Yep I think this baby has met it's maker and will go on to discover the big Sony™ spirit in the sky. I was using a charger for it with increased amperage over that of the official charger. Could that be the problem? Maybe, maybe not. Otherwise it's just another broken PSP. Salaam, Salut, and good night!