Magnet Strength for NTRBootHax

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sansnumen, Aug 13, 2017.

1. sansnumen
    OP

sansnumen GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2017
    United States
    Hello. Now that NTRBootHax is out, all 3DS systems can be hacked in perpetuity (probably). But what concerns me is the use of a magnet to perform the hack on clamshell 3DS systems. Has anyone suggested which magnets would be appropriate for such a task? If I were to guess, the way the 3DS goes to sleep is by inducing a current flow on a chip near the face buttons. This can be done by using a current flow to induce a magnetic field on the right speaker and getting the magnetic field close enough to the face buttons.

It is quite possible to blowout the circuitry/chip near the face buttons by using a strong enough magnet. So again, that's why I ask, which magnets would be safe to use for NTRBootHax?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I've had success with every magnet I've tried that wasn't paper-thin. So, feel free to start small.

3. Toady231

Toady231 Intellectual saviour of the masses

Feb 6, 2017
    United Kingdom
    East Northamptonshire
    Obviously don't use big magnets. A simple fridge magnet will do the trick

4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Do you actually have an example of this happening though?
    Seems like you would need some sort of rare and expensive industrial strength magnet for this to be a possibility.

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You can use a 1 tesla magnet just fine if you bring it to the console slowly... induction depends on the variation of magnetic field, not on the total intensity
    (Of course it may rip the top screen off the bottom shell :) )

The opposite is true of reed switches, which are actually controlled by the presence or not of magnetic fields (compare to a relay without the electromagnet, just 2 metal bars, one fixed and one that swings around, that can be pushed or pulled by external force

6. sansnumen
    OP

sansnumen GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2017
    United States
    I have no examples, but I have seen people putting their systems to sleep by stacking 3DS.

I have fridge magnets. Should be safe. Although my DS Lite is dead so I can't test this. My 3DS is still on sysNAND 9.0 so I don't need magnets per se. This is more an academic exercise.

Yep what you say is true. I still remember from my college level E&M Physics class. Still 1 tesla magnet is super strong. You can bork other components on a 3DS without even trying.