Mad Catz files for bankruptcy

image.jpeg

If you have ever purchased a third party accessory for your console, the name Mad Catz might be familiar to you. The company known for their cheap memory cards, off-brand controllers, and other peripherals has just filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy. Mad Catz and its subsidiaries will be liquidating their assets, as well, and the officers and directors of the company have all stepped down as of March 30, 2017. Founded in 1989, Mad Catz has acquired brands like GameShark, Tritton, and Saitek. The cause their demise is thought to be due to the poor sales of Harmonix's Rock Band 4, which Mad Catz was in charge of, taking financial responsibility for marketing and lacking sales of peripheral hardware.

:arrow: Source

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the stuff I had from them was junk, however I did keep an inline headphone amp cord from a pair of Tritton headphones as it works pretty well and does not sound half bad.

At least MadKatz was not as bad as InterAct.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

One of my favourite Original Xbox controllers were and still are from Mad Catz. Mad Catz took the best approach to making a rival worthy against the original OX controllers.

51JTA31CFAL.jpg

As everyone can see, the d-pad is actually a d-pad and not some turd pretending to be a d-pad like Microsoft had on their controllers until late Xbox 360 era (with the special edition 360 controllers featuring a real d-pad).

Farewell, Mad Catz. :)

Reactions: cvskid

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's a bit of a shame. It's a really old company, these guys have been around since the 16-bit era, perhaps even before it, so it's sad to see them go. They actually used to make good accessories, but in recent years quality declined noticeably and they've made a bunch of weird, probably costly decisions, like releasing their own Android microconsole for... reasons? Sad to see them go, I hope someone picks up the brand and makes it great again.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a mad catz dreamcast controller and it was more accurate and comfortable than the original SEGA controller.
Good old days.
Is beating the dreamcast stock controller in comfort really a high bar?

As far as the RAT mice go I don't really regret mine, though I mainly only got it as it was the only not complete junk mouse I could find in the real world when the previous one kicked the bucket, but I was never massively enthused by it. Now tecknet has entered my life ( http://www.tecknet.co.uk/products/pc-peripherals/gamings.html?limit=30 ) and did to this sort of thing what all the Chinese "action camera" makers did to gopro, which is to say made a perfectly functional equivalent at a price more in line with the bill of materials.

Younger siblings everywhere rejoice
Wouldn't that require there to still be such a thing as local co-op and local multiplayer?

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of my favourite Original Xbox controllers were and still are from Mad Catz. Mad Catz took the best approach to making a rival worthy against the original OX controllers.

51JTA31CFAL.jpg

As everyone can see, the d-pad is actually a d-pad and not some turd pretending to be a d-pad like Microsoft had on their controllers until late Xbox 360 era (with the special edition 360 controllers featuring a real d-pad).

Farewell, Mad Catz. :)
Yooooo, that was the controller I beat Ninja Gaiden with. Damn, great memories.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think MadCatz was the absolute worst when it came to third party controllers and accessories. I had this one combination rumble/memory pack for the Nintendo 64. It was covered in glittering red paint and worked maybe half the time. I don't think you could even use both features at the same time; you had to switch between the save and vibration. I think the manufacturer was PlayTech, and it sucked the maximum amount of ass allowed by law.

I do think MadCatz tried in vain to fill that Sega Saturn pad-shaped hole in my heart with various six button controllers for the Xbox 360, but none of them were ever as good as Sega's pads from the mid 1990s. They also made this monstrosity, which was only good for hacking projects. I was so excited that it had a dial on the bottom, until I learned that the plastic didn't move freely the way a good spinner should. The copper pads on the PCB were easy to solder to, though!

41JHnTY7AqL._SX425_.jpg

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My big memory of buying third party stuff was a Performance brand N64 memory pak plus...damn thing never worked, always corrupted my games. I have tried to always go first party after that (and that was after I bought a third party RAM expansion pak that hardly worked too).

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mad Catz had some good memory cards and a good controller for the GameCube. Which made it easier to speedrun Sonic CD when I was a kid. Got some insane times then. Now, I can't come close to them for now.

Gadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
remember, there was some kind of mass shooting in usa at the time of dreamcast release, so sega wouldn't put out an official lightgun from japan, so the official endorsed one was made by Mad Catz! HotD! Sirrrrr Golllllld

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All my Pokémon XD saves are stored on Mad Catz GameCube Memory Cards.

I did this once, it cost me 3 runs of MGS Twin Snakes (I had the bandana, stealth camp, and suit) and was in the middle of a fourth run when it died. It was dead dead, I left the card in a drawer for a few years until Wii homebrew came out to read corrupted GC cards and nothing could be recovered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...