Mad Catz files for bankruptcy

image.jpeg

If you have ever purchased a third party accessory for your console, the name Mad Catz might be familiar to you. The company known for their cheap memory cards, off-brand controllers, and other peripherals has just filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy. Mad Catz and its subsidiaries will be liquidating their assets, as well, and the officers and directors of the company have all stepped down as of March 30, 2017. Founded in 1989, Mad Catz has acquired brands like GameShark, Tritton, and Saitek. The cause their demise is thought to be due to the poor sales of Harmonix's Rock Band 4, which Mad Catz was in charge of, taking financial responsibility for marketing and lacking sales of peripheral hardware.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

Tritton headsets, Rat4-5-6-7-8, Strike's keyboards and TE fightsticks suck asses ?
Please update yourself, they're top notch premium peripherials wtf...
Triton headsets have horrible build quality. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the adjustable headband out of thin cheap plastic should be fired

Albeit it's a good headset..if it holds up to the test of time for you

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
tbh it was only going to be a matter of time, they used to have a pretty good rep as a decent compared to the likes of the game shop branded crap that often broke a few weeks after buying them.

but that was before everyone could import a crappy $6 Chinese copy controller (not caring about ripping off the official controllers design entirely) and console manufacturers weren't locking down console accessory compatibility to be able to charge licencing for any company who wanted to sell third party controllers/memory cards etc without it being a up hill battle with manufacturers purposefully breaking compatibility etc

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh that's a shame. My computer mouse is a Mad Catz product. (R.A.T.9).
It was a good thing I asked them about the proprietary batteries a couple of months ago, when the original 2 started to lose recharge power.
They sent two new, free of charge. Oh well!

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I had a mad catz dreamcast controller and it was more accurate and comfortable than the original SEGA controller.
Good old days.
Back when they were good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Tritton headsets, Rat4-5-6-7-8, Strike's keyboards and TE fightsticks suck asses ?
Please update yourself, they're top notch premium peripherials wtf...
Not sure if trolling... Or...

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a) There was a Rock Band 4?

b) Where will we get weird shaped controllers that either feel like they are completely hollow or full of cement and no one wants to use?

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
End of an era :'( Madcatz pretty much revolutionized sticks for the west thanks to the Japanese SF players, they were my favorite fightstick brand. Those of you that are happy about this, yes they made cheap ass bullshit in the past, but they were the go to in SFIV's heyday hands down, and this also means there's now slightly less competition between the stick brands. The go to's now would be Qanba, Hori and Razor but Madcatz set the standards that those brands have on their sticks today. Madcatz also supported the FGC and did really good work for the community when Markman was still with them. Gonna treasure the shit out of my TTT2 TE and TE2+.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its a shame they're gone now. Getting new Rock Band guitars and drum kit is only going to get harder and harder and getting TE2 sticks as well. Specially those KI stick that were already limited edition that are now going to go up in price.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Younger siblings everywhere rejoice
lol yeah. all the noobs always get the mad catz controller.
I have 2 of the mad catz gamecube mem cards. one was free i think the other was $3. they actually work. i dont use them tho. they have phantasy star online backup on them. I could never use their controllers to cheap and the buttons always make loud noise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only people who turn green need to see a doctor.