3. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish
    Former Staff

Japan
    And a web browser.

4. triassic911

triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    I personally say the pc is much better but damn the apps for the mac are amazing. The visual style is sexy as well.

5. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]
    Global Moderator

United States
    yea, considering windows based gaming laptops come usually come equipped with a GTX260M or better ive even seen a few that had a 4870x2

theres no way the mac book pro would even be able to compete with that

6. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

that config is listed at macmall for 2289. it's still expensive but 600 less than what you claim.

or you could get this

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors
    2GB (2 x 1GB) of 800MHz DDR2 ECC fully buffered DIMM
    320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
    16x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports)

for 2500.

i'm just saying. do some research.

7. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    And the MacBook Pro is not a gaming laptop at all, it just happens to be the best for general use in terms of weight, heat, battery life and performance over other laptops. Yes, it is more expensive, but how many other laptops that can actually play games decently allow you to switch from dedicated to integrated graphics to save you battery life and still get good visual performance while mobile? Hell, 90% of Vista based laptops are shit for graphics and Vista needs a reasonable amount of video processing, not Intel GMA 3000 garbage, in order to run effectively yet companies have the nerve to charge some of their asinine prices for mediocre laptops. Granted in the last year or so laptop graphics has become more important for mobile computing and it will never compare to desktop graphics, but consider how much you pay for a gaming class laptop with similar features to the MacBook Pro, you are better off with one if you are trying to find a computer that will do everything well. Also, the GT120 and upwards graphics chips are for HD screens, last I checked the MacBook's were not 1900x1200 1080p. I would sooner drop the money for a 17 inch MacBook and have it run games and do everything I want well then have some heat generating monster with high end graphics and a brick to lug around for charging the damn thing.

8. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    omg. i just got my 17" macbook pro yesterday and it runs so cool. it barely gets warm. i've been using it non stop since i got it. this is actually a replacement laptop. i returned my previous 17" macbook because the case was slightly bowed. it was hardly noticeable, but i wasn't happy with that so they gave me my money back. that's one of the things paying a lot of many allows you to do. the casing alone on this laptops is worth more than most pc laptops.

9. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

try running a game on it, my 15" macbook pro gets really quite toasty when running oblivion (with every graphics setting on max, of course.).

10. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

microsoft sell only operating systems, whereas apple sell integrated systems. Plus you need to hold market leaders with near monopolies to higher ethical standards than fringe players.

11. MicShadow

MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Really. Windows and Linux are for the people who really know how.

You cant deny this.

A lot of the 'hardcore' you could call them audiences use Windows for the gaming and application/driver support. Otherwise they would probably use Linux. And I don't mean hardcore gamer

In my experience, Mac users are no different from people that will go and PAY for a technician to remove their Windows virus. And get ripped off. Definitely not the ones with computer know how

12. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    That would be saying the market would have failed. In all fairness I don't care wether or not WMP or IE is supplied. Even if I wouldn't be able to remove it I wouldn't care. As long as I can simply NOT use it, or not buy the OS of course it's fine with me. I don't get what the fuss is about really. If there is a monopoly I understand that entry costs into a market are high and thus competition will come slower however if there is a market for competition, big enough for profit to be made, then someone will come and fill that gap. In essence though, a monopoly is a failure of the open market system of course.....

13. Nerdii

Nerdii Banned
    Banned

LOL! I still have a (PowerPC) PowerBook G4!

14. MicShadow

MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Although I think it would be a nice touch that when you install the operating system, it would offer several program alternatives (Like Firefox etc) to allow the user to choose.
    But thats just me. Its just a pain looking up Firefox WITHIN IE

15. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

do you have a unibody? the previous generation ran hotter. but i actually don't play computer games so i can't honestly compare. i did play around with zbrush for a while which used to make my old powerbook g4 burn.

i did have an instance when a kernel task ran rampant and used up 95 percent of my cpu and things got very hot. i think i caused it from simultaneous installations from dvds, an external hard drive and about 8 mounted ISOs, while also swapping files and downloading a ton more. but i'm not too sure because i restarted, it cooled down right away and i resumed my rampant installation and downloading process without any problem after that so it could of been just a bad app i ran.

16. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]
    Global Moderator

United States
    why the heck would you even buy server CPU's
    and very outdated (and pretty underpowered) gfx cards...

17. playallday

playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    See that little Canadian flag in my profile? It means something buddy.

Do your research.

18. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    not sure if i posted in this thread, but i'll sum it up for you.

macs: overpriced, environmentally friendly material, fashion accessory, good for graphics and media editing, os-x is retard proof, not for gaming

pc: good value, vista is shit, xp/7 rock, awesome for gaming, overall much better

19. Salamantis

Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    A mod needs to seriously lock this thread.

Guys, get what you want. Macs are suited for some people, PCs are for others. Get over it. You won't manage to get everyone to use a PC or a Mac.

20. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    [/quote]
    See that little Canadian flag in my profile? It means something buddy.

Do your research.
    [/quote]

not to me it doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.