playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dear lord, you don't know we use different money?
blink.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nando said:
UltraMagnus said:
nando said:
omg. i just got my 17" macbook pro yesterday and it runs so cool. it barely gets warm. i've been using it non stop since i got it. this is actually a replacement laptop. i returned my previous 17" macbook because the case was slightly bowed. it was hardly noticeable, but i wasn't happy with that so they gave me my money back. that's one of the things paying a lot of many allows you to do. the casing alone on this laptops is worth more than most pc laptops.

try running a game on it, my 15" macbook pro gets really quite toasty when running oblivion (with every graphics setting on max, of course.).

do you have a unibody? the previous generation ran hotter. but i actually don't play computer games so i can't honestly compare. i did play around with zbrush for a while which used to make my old powerbook g4 burn.

i did have an instance when a kernel task ran rampant and used up 95 percent of my cpu and things got very hot. i think i caused it from simultaneous installations from dvds, an external hard drive and about 8 mounted ISOs, while also swapping files and downloading a ton more. but i'm not too sure because i restarted, it cooled down right away and i resumed my rampant installation and downloading process without any problem after that so it could of been just a bad app i ran.

yes, I have a unibody, and I was running windows XP at the time (oblivion doesn't run on OS X)

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
nando said:
playallday said:
My PC ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mac Pro

2.5GHz Quad-Core AMD Phenom X4 ---------------------------------- 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
4GB (1066MHz DDR2) ----------------------------------------------------------------- 3GB (1066MHz DDR3)
500GB 7200 RPM ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 640GB 7200 RPM
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 512MB -------------------------------------- NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
SAMSUNG Black 22X --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 18x SuperDrive
Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse ----------------------------------------------------------- Apple Mighty Mouse
Dell Keyboard --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Apple Keyboard
Vista 32-Bit, 7 RC 64-Bit and Linux (and I could get Leopard if I wanted) ------ Mac OS X Leopard

$800 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ $2,900

that config is listed at macmall for 2289. it's still expensive but 600 less than what you claim.

or you could get this

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors
2GB (2 x 1GB) of 800MHz DDR2 ECC fully buffered DIMM
320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
16x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports)

for 2500.

i'm just saying. do some research.
why the heck would you even buy server CPU's
and very outdated (and pretty underpowered) gfx cards...

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Macs only get updates once a year. some models are every other year.

PS: Macs

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem is that the iMac is a terrible exampled of a desktop when you think about it and the new Mac Pro machines, while expensive can blow the doors off a Windows based computer. They can support up to 4 Nvidia GT120 graphics cards and have replaced the shitty cards by both ATI and Nvidia from the previous years. The Mac Pro has lots of customization options that cater towards it as being a server style computer but it's definately not a generic desktop thats for sure.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always preferred PC's for the simple fact that when I go into a store, I see loads of PC software and quite a bit less Mac software. From what I understand, that differs somewhat by region though.

Mac's are better for productivity. Most of your junk mail was produced on Mac's.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
The problem is that the iMac is a terrible exampled of a desktop when you think about it and the new Mac Pro machines, while expensive can blow the doors off a Windows based computer. They can support up to 4 Nvidia GT120 graphics cards and have replaced the shitty cards by both ATI and Nvidia from the previous years. The Mac Pro has lots of customization options that cater towards it as being a server style computer but it's definately not a generic desktop thats for sure.

Are you comparing the most expensive Mac to the most general of Windows-based PCs?

Like I've said before, both Macs and Windows have the exact same hardware. There is zero difference in terms of what you can put on them. The problem with Macs is that in order to get the latest and greatest, it always has to go through Apple certification, which usually puts whatever you get in a Mac a generation behind Windows-based PCs.

The Intel Nehalem that has been available for PCs since the end of last year just barely made it's way to the Mac Pro line.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
lolwut
the GT120 is just a rebranded 9500GT

just get a GTX295 and it will blow those GT120's away
or if you just wanna go overkill, get 2 ASUS MARS GTX295's (dual GTX285 card)
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/12376/asus_m...160p/index.html

QUOTE(juggernaut911 @ Jun 23 2009, 04:09 AM) PS: Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning